Options

Rust on chains - question

I've been in Oceanside, parked at my son's house and while preparing to leave, I noticed rust on the safety chains (my desert mind hasn't had to consider rust before)! It's been about 5 weeks but I'm worried I need to change them immediately. I'm only driving 7 miles today to the campground and will be there 4 nights. Is this something I can do (I haven't looked at where they're attached to the tongue) and how soon should I do it? There isn't a CW near here - where else can I get the chains and what specific "size" am I looking for? Thanks!
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Sounds like it is surface rust and is pretty normal.  Check them ever so often, but you will be fine.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    IMHO surface rust on safety chains would not a problem for years. You could wipe them down with WD40 from time to time.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited November 2016
    Agree with others, surface rust is not a problem.
    I did replace mine awhile back, wanted bigger hooks. Simple to do, two bolts on bottom side of frame. I bought them at a trailer place only because none of the hardware stores had the right length in stock.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I use Boeshield T-9 for everything,  has a wax in it to hold the lubricant in.  Bike chains,  hitch ball,  coupler,  tools,  etc.   It is really a great lubricant.    But agree with others,  no way your chain is compromised in 5 weeks,  even if you left it laying in saltwater.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Ditto on the surface rust not being a problem. (You should see the safety chains on my 30-year-old boat!)  And another STRONG vote for Boeshield T-9!! Was introduced to that stuff after purchasing a '56 Piper PA-22-150. Boeshield is really awesome; I also use it everywhere!
  • Options
    kidwarekidware Member Posts: 13
    We replaced ours with vinyl coated, coiled cables ... much easier to work with.
    Lou in Seattle
    2012 LG T@B towed with 2004 Suburban
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    kidware, Where did you get the vinyl coiled cables? 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love mine, @ericnliz . From Amazon, and there are other choices, mostly more expensive. The ones I have are good for 5,000 lbs. My original safety chains were a few inches too short. No problem now. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Verna, thanks. Ours were too long for either [here we go again] of my TV's [not the kind you watch ]. I had to shorten them by about 3". Not hard, two nuts, two washers, and two lock washers. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Thanks all! I'll look for the rust stuff and dry lubricant soon. Tomorrow heading inland (boo-hoo) and back to the desert area soon. See you at T@Bazona in Jan!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @Verna I just got those Curt chains delivered today. Will 40" be long enough? They seem short.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @jkjenn, I no longer have my T@B S Max, but whatever length of coiled cable came with this purchase was sufficient in length. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Verna said:
    @jkjenn, I no longer have my T@B S Max, but whatever length of coiled cable came with this purchase was sufficient in length. 
    Thanks, @Verna! I think they will work for me, too. I am just so used to the super long chains that came with the T@b. This is on the weekend to-do list. I have my PB Blaster ready, if needed.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014