Options

Come on Folks, You Can Camp in the Winter

2»

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ahhh, yes. But can you go ice-skating on that beautiful lake, before dinner?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited November 2016
    That's what ice rinks are for :-)
  • Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    Headed out on a three-day binge to Paso Robles during the holiday. Can't wait to get back on the road again!
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    You're never gonna get me to move out of NY, but I am a little envious of you guys who have warmer weather more of the year. We have a winter storm with as much as 33" of snow coming tomorrow, not even going to leave the house!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Photomom, I can relate, living on the "other" coast: Pacific North West, Eastern Washington. When we get our snow events, 'ya never know what you're in store for! Several years ago, the forecasters called for 6" to 8", and it started out at 18" in 12 hours, and snowed for three days straight, accumulating to 42". Just got out the heavy boots, Elmer Fudd hat, snow shovel, and started in. A week later, 4' chain link fences were no longer visible, and shoveling consisted of shoveling up, not sideways. After 2 weeks, cars in the street were no longer visible from the house. Case in point, won't get me to move either! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We're thinking about taking our first real winter camping trip next week to Whistler Village.  Last February's Oregon trip doesn't count since it was only in the 40's. :)

It will be borderline freezing at night, just close enough to tempt me to use the shower.  There will be full hookups and a shower available, so we'll probably not take the chance.  Wish us luck, and do a snow dance. :)

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    VermonsterVermonster Member Posts: 80
    Just finished a week in the GMNF.  Mostly 20's to 40's.  GOT UP TO 60 yesterday, a foot of snow today.  The t@b was awesome.  Ran on the battery all week with some help charging off the truck.  
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I live in the New England and all the campgrounds are closed.  Other then camping in the national forests, do you have any suggestions on where to camp? 
    http://www.snowbirdrvtrails.com/offseason.htm

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    PXLated said:
    One thing though Nathan - If you don't have shore power and the Alde runs constantly, you better have a good, fully-charged battery. The Alde is very efficient but still eats juice. Have hit low to mid 30s here in the higher elevations lately and awoke to a 12.0 reading at sunrise.
    Yes, our Attwood furnace is even worse as it has a blower.  We generally go someplace with a hook-up, though we have been doing more dry camping of late.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I'm curious if anyone here has attempted to make their T@B more suitable for 4 season use.  For example, adding heat tape and exterior insulation, etc.   

I've seen other camper's for sale that have been retrofitted,  but not seen any T@Bs.  My searches here have only found "winterizing" links. 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    db_cooper said:
    I'm curious if anyone here has attempted to make their T@B more suitable for 4 season use.  For example, adding heat tape and exterior insulation, etc.   

I've seen other camper's for sale that have been retrofitted,  but not seen any T@Bs.  My searches here have only found "winterizing" links. 
    A search for "tank heater" brought up a few discussions.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 81
    Can a 2017 Outback handle a 24 F night without draining the water,  blowing the lines, etc.?  Alde will be running on propane for 2 days.  Anyone tried this, or should I bite the bullet and winterize?
    2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Well, for better or worse, my very first camping in the T@B was in January 2012 and it was down in the teens. Water hose hooked up at campground and nothing froze but me. Did not know how to get propane furnace lighted! Maybe it was luck, but no problem with water lines and it never got below mid-40s inside the T@B. Note that I did not have water in the reservoir and never used the water pump.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    DaveC said:
    Can a 2017 Outback handle a 24 F night without draining the water,  blowing the lines, etc.?  Alde will be running on propane for 2 days.  Anyone tried this, or should I bite the bullet and winterize?
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5713/what-temps-means-winterize#latest
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Snow is starting to show up in Colorado weather discussions and I am praying it happens while I am there.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    DaveC said:
    Haven't tried it, but... an old trick in a cold freezing house was to leave the faucet dripping. Flowing water takes longer to freeze. That might settle the water line concern. The tanks...it would take a long & hard cold snap to freeze 11 gallons of water...just an opinion...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Snow is supposed to show up in Yellowstone this weekend.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2017
    @DaveC, Verna (above) pointed to a current thread/discussion that's talking about just that question.
    In short, you'd be very lucky to get away without winterizing at 24°. Edit: yes I tried depending only on the Alde, and regretted it. The exterior drains also need winterizing.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    OK, it's early Fall, but it was a bit nippy at 41' this morning! I love the Alde!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
    We bought our camper in January and took it out in February. Yes that's an icicle. Lol. Did amazing. The ALDE kept everything toasty. 

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

• Options
    JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
    Everything worked fine. I think I had to break up the ice in the hose that morning but it got to flowing. We had a blast. 

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Bigger rigs have heating pads on the bottom of their tanks which are located in their "basement" area. Those areas can be heated as well. 

As far as hoses, there are very expensive hoses that are heated all the way down the hose and there's a 20A plug at the end of it. I saw one this year.. I want! The problem is that my water filter is outside like yours and will be prone to freezing. Big rigs have permanent water filters and just exchange out the insides (like frig in-line filters). 

So, the T@B sorta falls short (pun) of the amenities of the bigger rigs as far as the water filter and holding tanks (and fresh water). The hot water tanks are insulated on them too.

The Alde can freeze. Hot water lines freeze first due to something called "supercooling". I read the reason, but my eyes glazed over because it involved physics. I think I fell asleep for 15 minutes! :lol:

You can winter camp! Just camp winterized. Bring your own water. Use your Alde for heat. The frig works great (lol). Use "go anywhere" bags for the potty. If at an open campground, use park facilities!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    P.S. A small ceramic heater is a plus for cold toes! (Not talking about the awesome 400 with its heated bathroom floor! lol *jealous*).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    HvtymwiltravelHvtymwiltravel Member Posts: 51
    The 400 is perhaps unique but was easy to winterize. The key was having such a nice Alde cabin heater with most of the water lines, drain lines, and black tank in the heated areas.  Also note the the outside shower should be winterized and isolated during winter.   I will just give generalities at this time until I am able to test my modifications.  I closed off the holes in the frame, heated and insulated the gray tank with an electric  contact heater, heated the 1 1/2 and 3 inch elbows near the dump valves and provisioned to heat the gate valves if they become frozen.  I wrapped the dump valves and lines with reflectix insulation.  I added the same 5 gallon jug that is used in other T@Bs or T@Gs in the back of the closet. When the weather is below freezing,(I mounted a remote sensing thermometer for the underbelly) I will drain the fresh water tank, unhook the line at the pump strainer and start using the 5 gallon jug for the water supply. (the fresh tank and lines in the underbelly were just too expensive electrically to heat)   Electrical loads will be 2.7 amps continuous for the elbows, 4.1 amps intermittent load for the tank heater , and 2.3 amps, as needed if the gate valves need thawed. The electric heaters can only be used when water is present in the lines or tank.   I will test it this winter and let you all know how it performs. 
    2017 T@B 400   TV  Colorado Duramax
  • Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    @Rangergirl, regarding  "That fill spout on the T@B MAX S doesn't make filling super easy unless you cannibalize a smaller hose and stuff it down there". You can get one of these to add to the end of the hose to shove into the fill spout, http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/water-tank-filler/4680&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp4680&sc_intid=4680?utm_campaign=SC_Shopping_High&affiliateid=6313&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgqHq243T1gIVCpV-Ch1DmQBbEAQYBSABEgLf5vD_BwE

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner