Options

ARB Freezer?

Does any one know if the 37Q ARB fridge/freezer can be used exclusively as a freezer? I've heard great things about them and would really like to find a freezer for long term camping. 
Sn@pDog, 2017 Outback, Silver w/black trim

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited November 2016
    I'll let someone with one give the diffinitive answer but my understanding is they can be used for either fridge or freezer - just depends on what you set the temp at.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,516
    Yes.  Saved our home freezer contents this past August when a storm blew through and no power for 3 days.  Used neighbors generator for power.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SnapDogSnapDog Member Posts: 53
    Thank you! Not sure why the T@b fridge doesn't come with a small freezer, but this seems like a good solution. I've also been looking at propane fridge/freezers but the ARB on DC seems pretty efficient too. 
  • Options
    Not much room in that small fridge for a freezer compartment - you can freeze things if temp is set up and it's right under the fins. My hashbrowns are currently frozen :-(
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL, Cook 'em, they'll thaw out! :D
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Yep, they'll be sizzelin tomorrow morning :-)
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    The ARB works terrifically!  Kept meats and fish frozen solid for a 10 day trip.  No ice to deal with ever again!
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    I have the 37 qt. and really like it.  I keep frozen items in the bottom and they stay frozen with the lowere temps.  the DC works very well while driving.  Glad I did not go with the T@b fridge.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
    Love mine, it's a wonderful appliance to have
  • Options
    SnapDogSnapDog Member Posts: 53
    Does anyone know what the energy draw/requirements are? We like to camp in the bush for days at a time and want take frozen provisions. We live on the West Coast so no guarantees for sunny days and solar power. 
  • Options
    Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
    I can't recal the exact numbers but it's very efficient for the amount of work it does
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Oh my 37 qt, there's a setting on how many times the frig will cycle, so the amp requirements can vary. I believe the lowest setting is 2.9 amps/hr, but I'll have to check. That's just off the top of my head and I'm pre-coffee!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited November 2016
    The 12v fridge in the CS models is essentially an ARB (same compressor), but they're too dang tiny!  I don't know how 1.7 cubic feet translates to quarts, but "small" doesn't accurately describe it!

If you turn it to 5, the entire fridge becomes a freezer, albeit in a pinch.  It doesn't get below the low 20s.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,516
    • ARB- "Capable of maintaining sub-freezing temperatures even in 90 degree heat while only drawing on average about 0.87 amp per hour from a 12V power source (less than a single headlight)"
    Snapdog- this may be stats from the 50 qt model, but efficiency is excellent.  Will depend on multiple factors:  ambient temperature, circulating hot/fresh air over the compressor, how much food you are storing, temperature setting.  Amp draw will vary.  Most people hook up to shore power a day in advance to be able to start with the ARB in freeze mode and reduce the required cycling/amp draw although some people have good results just plugging it in at the start of travel.  A large capacity battery system should be adequate.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    edited June 2017
    I run mine for up to 3 days easy w/o starting my jeep with a 34 battery, but not at deep freeze, just around 32.

and friends of mine travels in 2 seperate truck on multi day adventure, one arb in on truck is set on freezer temp and the other truck set's his at regular fridge temp. They are all 37 quarts.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love my ARB 50 qt, such a miser of power.

I camp most of the winter without electricity, relying on my solar panels to recharge my batteries. I can go to bed with 12.5V on my meter and wake up to 12.4 or 12.5V even with the 3-way fridge on propane, the Alde furnace running on propane (both require a spark from the batteries for ignition) and with the Alde running at 27* to 29* in the back seat of the truck. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”