Options

Class II vs Class III Hitch & Gear ratio (Jeep Wrangler)

HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
Hi all,

Was wondering if you could provide me with advice/suggestions, mostly dealing with a Jeep Wrangler (2 door)?

I'm in the fortunate position to be ordering a new Jeep Wrangler Sport as a TV.  A new Jeep without the "max tow package" has a limit of 2,000lbs, WITH the max tow package it goes up to 3,500lbs.  Max tow package is really just changing from a 3.21 standard to a 3.73 gear axle ratio

Questions:
Class II vs Class III
You can have the "trailer tow group" added at factory, but it only includes a Class II receiver hitch.  I'd rather have this added at factory than having it done after market, just for time and knowing it should be done right.  Do most people tow with a Class II or a Class III hitch?  Thoughts?

3.21 vs 3.73
The 3.73 is recommended for the max towing (to take it from 2,000lbs to 3,500lbs), but of course this negatively impacts the gas mileage in what is already one of the worst gas guzzlers out there.  You Jeep owners out there - what have you done?

All are in relation to a 6-speed manual transmission.

Appreciate any information you might have!

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

Comments

• Options
    Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
    As a Jeep JK owner and a person who tows often with my Jeep you really need a 4 door at a minimum to tow anything if your using a Jeep.  My Jeep is a 4 door 2014 Rubicon X and as has the factory tow package. My T@B Outback  is all my Jeep 4 door wants day in and day out in relation to towing. Go with the automatic as mine is a 6 speed manual as I believe the automatic performs better when towing. I love Jeeps but the truth is they are a horriable tow vehicle due to the strait front axle and spring rates. I'm sure someone will blast me for this but there is no way I would consider towing more than 1hr from home with a two door Jeep JK. Remember your now pushing to wind grabber (bricks) down the road hooked together and you feel ever bit of the resistance whether it be a 2  or 4 door at that point.  As a comparison we have a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport with a twin turbo ecoboost engine which rates at 5,500 towing pounds and I can tell you the difference in towing and "feedback feel" is so much better than the Jeep. You wanted a honest opinion, I'm just not sure towing something as small as a T@B with a Jeep Wrangler  of any type is your best option. Remember, I'm a HUGE Jeep JK fan but what makes them great off road hurts their towing potential. 
  • Options
    GratonGraton Member Posts: 17
    I'm with Fatman1966 on this - I've owned two 2DR Wranglers and they were great, but I hated towing anything with them. Never towed anything as "big" as a tab - just trailer with ATV or motorcycle - and not long distance. It never felt stable and can't imagine going along the highway with a T@B behind a 2DR wrangler. I know neither of us answered your questions, but have you towed much with a Wrangler?
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I have the 4-door as well and can't imagine towing with a 2-door (have owned 2-doors in the past). Gas mileage does suck but no worse than what most here are experiencing - I plan on 14-15 mpg.
    As far as the factory installed tow package, in addition to gear ratio, it included the transmission cooler and a larger alternator. That last bit is important as it allows me to keep up with the draw of the fridge while traveling. Wirhout, the T@B battery would be slowly discharging while traveling.
  • Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    Yes, I had a 1995 Wrangler (YJ) for about 5 years that had the shorter wheelbase and was smaller all around. I towed a pop up camper with it quite extensively before selling it when I moved back overseas, where I am now (I know that was much lighter). I really did love that Jeep, it was fantastic and versatile. Here we tow with cars that Americans would think are crazy, and I've even towed a similar size caravan with a friend's MINI Cooper.

I'm glad to hear the feedback, even if negative, from Jeep lovers at least - most people still have the misconception that Jeeps roll over easily and can't be used to tow - but a 4-door Jeep I feel would just be too massive and overkill for me (just one person).  I've gotten used to "smaller" vehicles and just have an aversion to anything large, yet don't see myself joining the Subaru club (no offense!).  I test drove a 4 door Jeep last time I was in the States and I felt like I was driving a Hummer, so I'm at a loss on finding a tow vehicle that isn't a large sedan yet not a massive truck or SUV.  I do appreciate the feedback and what to watch out for.

Perhaps I should have taken it to a separate question, but any information regarding Class II vs Class III hitches?

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    I had two-door Jeep before - You get used to the size difference real quickly and the longer wheel base makes for a uch better ride. And you have alot more space for stuff - The T@B doesn't have a whole lot of room for "stuff" :-)
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Max towing on JK Wrangler 2 dr-
    2000 lbs.  200 lb tongue weight

Max towing on JK Wrangler 4 dr-
    3500 lbs  350 lb tongue weight
    w/tow package

Manual transmission- no transmission cooler, also, per manual and warranty- clutch plate is only warranted for 12000 miles or 1 year.  Drivetrain is extended warranty, but not clutch.

Automatic transmission-  has transmission cooler and extended drivetrain applies to transmission.

We originally towed our T@B Max-s with a 2014 2 dr Wrangler with a 6 speed manual, 3.21 ratio from WI to Blackhills, Yellowstone, Tetons, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Moab and Rocky Mtn Nat Park.  7000 miles. We had no issues in regards to power or stability problems.  Because of the 3.21 ratio, most towing was done in 4th gear.

We now tow the same trailer with a 4 dr Wrangler w/tow package.  Bought the four door, that we might purchase a larger trailer.
    My wife and I like Wranglers.  We have owned- 04 TJ Rubicon, JK model 2dr 07, 09, 12, 13, 14- JK model 4dr 15

Only aware of the one hitch that mounts to the bumper with 4 bolts, factory and after market.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I only know of one hitch as well, it bolts to bumper with 4 bolts as stated. I'm not sure of the class but it's a two inch box for hitch. All I know is I've got a CDL and I have towed items all over the Country with various vehicles of all types and the Wrangler is not a good tow vehicle for extended trips of any type. In fact most RV dealers will not suggest the sale of a trailer for a 4 door Wrangler so I'm sure the 2 door would be highly suggested as unsafe. The weight of the T@B at 1700 pounds etc once water, battery and propane are added already exceeds the 2000 limit. It's not just the rollover history, I actually never think to much about that it's the stability and drivability in general, it's not a easy Sunday drive with the unit attached. 
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I tow with the factory hitch, but have no idea what class it is.  I have a 4-door Rubicon and upgraded from a 2-door Sierra for the reasons above.  I didn't want to upgrade because of the size, but I agree with PXlated, you get used to the extra couple feet pretty fast and I've had no issues going from 2 to 4 doors as far as confidence and comfort driving anywhere.  I have a 4.10 gear ratio and get 10-16 mpg towing depending on how much gear and water (weight) I have in the Outback.  It took it out this weekend with no water in the tanks and not much extra gear as I was only staying the night.  Even with the elevation gain going into the mountains, I got an average of 15mpg...fully loaded that drops to 10mpg. 
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    Fatman - "In fact most RV dealers will not suggest the sale of a trailer for a 4 door Wrangle" - WHAT?
    Looked at all kinds of campers, rolled in in my Jeep and didn't have a one say a thing. All more than willing to sell me.
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    I also tow with a 2 door Rubicon automatic 2012.  The reason is that I want the jeep when I get there!  Options are that you either tow with it, or you tow it.  Towing it costs alot more than towing with it.
    As far as saftey/comfort, you just adjust to your load and rig.  I've spent alot of time in less comfortable trucks that were much slower and probably not as safe.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Fatman - "In fact most RV dealers will not suggest the sale of a trailer for a 4 door Wrangle" - WHAT?
    Looked at all kinds of campers, rolled in in my Jeep and didn't have a one say a thing. All more than willing to sell me.
    Just what I've experienced. I have never set down locally with any RV sales person that didn't ask what my tow vehicles were. When I mentioned vehicle #2  was a Wrangler I was always advised to look for another tow vehicle. I would suggest an Rpod  was the largest trailer I looked at so it was not like I was looking at full size units. Again I tow with mine but I don't feel as comfortable I would like to. I live within 1hr from multiple National Parks and 60 plus camping areas so I don't tow with mine thousands of miles, if I did it would have to upgrade it. If I tow on the Interstate I take the Explorer. It's only one opinion which is what he ask for but if I was ordering or spending $30,000 plus on a new Jeep or vehicle as I believed the person was planning on doing to pull a camper I would advise a friend or anyone against a Wrangler of any type. When you pull with a full size pick -up, Explorer or mid /full size SUV the Jeep simply falls short from what I've experienced. It's the Jeeps suspension type, braking ability, emergengy handling capability and aero that hurts the Jeep it not necessary the power of the engine or fuel consumption for me. 
  • Options
    Looked at rPods and things slightly bigger and not one question about my Wrangler. The 4-door is fairly heavy compared to a lot of unibody SUVs - I can't tell the T@B is even back there. Never any sway and except for 9/10% grades I never even have to use the brakes, coast in fourth. The T@B just never pushes me around. So, as far as my experience - 15-20,000 miles towing on all kinds of roads  - that's malarkey.
  • Options
    MrAmazonMrAmazon Member Posts: 61
    Jeeez...all this wrangler bashing makes me sad.  I tow our T@B with a 2dr Wrangler sport, automatic tranny with 3.21 ratio.  Not sure what class hitch I have.  Just pulled it on a 3000+ mile trip through the Appalachian mountains with absolutely no issues.  A lot of the time I forgot I was even towing anything.  The Tab-rv.com website even has a picture of a 2dr Wrangler TV!  When I spoke with the owner of Little Guy trailers and mentioned I tow with a Wrangler his response was, "that's awesome, we just purchased a 4dr to be used as a company vehicle to showcase the T@B's." 
    Don't let anyone discourage you about towing with a 2dr, if they wine about the ride they aren't "true jeepers"
    #wranglernation
    2016 T@B silver Sofitel/Outback combo, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport TV, Kernersville N.C.
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I will have to say that my husband pulled the T@B cross country to PA with a Ford F150...and it was not an enjoyable ride.  The T@B swayed when changing lanes on the highway.  I never have that issue with my Rubicon.  I'm not sure why...he has also towed with the Rubicon and no issues...so I ruled out his driving.  :-)
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    That doesn't sound like the truck. I pull with an F-150 and have to keep checking to make sure I didn't lose my T@B along the way. I barely "feel" it back there. As pointed out in another post, excessive sway is typically caused by too much weight behind the trailer's axle. As for the Jeep thing, I can't offer any constructive input other than this: it sure does look cool seeing a Jeep pulling a T@B! :D
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    TennTimTennTim Member Posts: 8
    The answer always given to me about the low towing capacity is the 2dr Wrangler small wheel base and light weight. It can pull a lot more than 2k, which is why the same engine in a Cherokee can pull 5k. Or in the newer styles why the 4dr can pull more than the 2dr. What it can't do well is emergency stops, evasive maneuvers, and maintain control in steep descents with an overloaded trailer. It's a lot easier for that trailer to shove that lightweight Jeep with a small foot print around the road. Just know the limits and just because you can pull it doesn't necessarily mean everything is ok. 
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Speaking of descents - The Allstays App shows road grades. My first year out I did a long 35 mile 9% grade descent (actually, two) and won't do that again. A couple weeks ago took a longer route of 7-8% to avoid 20 miles of 10% grades.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    TennTim, I agree with you. Kinda the same adage of [some] folks driving 4 wheel drives on snow, yes, they get you going better than 2 wheel drive, but, stopping,...not so much, at times even worse than 2 wheel drive. Every year, I see more 4 wheel drives in the ditch than 2 wheel drives.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Just want to point out, people look at a 2dr Wrangler and think it is a small vehicle, wheelbase I agree is short, but 3,800 lbs it isn't light weight.

Also, the reason you see a lot of 4 wheel drive vehicles in the ditch, is the idiot driving them, thinks you can drive them like you are on dry pavement, year round.

But, I will gladly take the minimum 10" ground clearance in our Wrangler, for our wonderful Wisconsin winters. (cross country skiing, snowshoeing etc.)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    jdargis, Agree with the comment about drivers. Ground clearance is usually an issue in our neck of the woods with the white stuff as well, that's part of the reason we bought our Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 4WD. That being said though, I still drive the '72 Chevy P/U 2WD with sand bags in the back & snow tires. Seriously considering a Jeep [My youngest brother owns 3] for the next purchase though. I'm getting some good info on these Jeep threads as food for thought!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Also, if you like toys and accessories for your Jeep, check out Quadratec catalog.
    You could drain your bank account with one order and still want more.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588

PXLated said:
    Speaking of descents - The Allstays App shows road grades. My first year out I did a long 35 mile 9% grade descent (actually, two) and won't do that again. A couple weeks ago took a longer route of 7-8% to avoid 20 miles of 10% grades.
    That sounds like a good thread to start -- Worst descents to avoid (too steep and too long)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    DennisHemingwayDennisHemingway Member Posts: 37
    I tow our 2013 T@B S with a 2012 2dr Wrangler sport, 6 speed automatic tranny with 3.21 ratio.  I have a Rugged Ridge 2 in Receiver Hitch. We live in Barstow, Ca & we have been to Oregon, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, & Nevada with no problems Just use your gears and not your foot going up & down mountains. We average 18 MPG while towing, This was taken in Las Vegas, Nv.

2015 Jeep Cherokee tow Vehicle. 

Barstow, CA

• Options
    SubismSubism Member Posts: 38
    A class II hitch has a 1 1/4" receiver, while a class III is 2". I tow with a class II . Class II hitches are rated at 3500 lbs gross trailer weight and 525 lb tongue weight. Class III hitches are rated at 8000 lbs gross and 800 tongue. Class III is not necessary for the tab, but gives you other options if you may ever tow a larger trailer. My Subaru Outback has a 200 lb tongue weight limit and I already had the Class II hitch for my bike rack, so no need to upgrade.
    Marc and Angie in Burlington, NC. 2018 Ford F150 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost, 2016 320 S Max
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    edited December 2016
    I towed my Tab with a 2011 JK with 6sp and 3.73. My hitch was the simple Rugged Ridge jobby that slid on over the rear frame. 

Worked like a champ. 

See my photo. ,
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    2015 JKU 3.6 supercharged Automatic 4:88 gear ratio and 37" Goodyears. Absolutely no problems and we explore when we get there.
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    I will be taking delivery of our new T@G monday with my 2005 manual LJ wrangler.

just can't wait.  Never towed a camper before, but I have towed a loader utility/adventure trailer that was heavier than that on many thousand plus miles and just can't wait to begin our travel with the T@G. (20 plus year of towing with a 95 wrangler, that became heavely modified with lockers / tires and 6" lift and now 2005 LJ wrangler with 31 - 33" tires with 3.5" lift) oh yeah, the 95 had no sway bars or drag link.  Never had stability issues  in emergency situation, but you have to know what you are doing. ;)

2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    DouglasbooDouglasboo Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2017
    The t@g is a good fit for a Wrangler. I now have a 4 cylinder 
    Jeep Patriot.  Had to trade because of awful gas milage