Options

Propane Gauge

LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Yes, very common.  I have one that I got at Lowes for $12.  You will find them by the propane grills.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Thanks

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I bought two tanks from Camping World that have built-in gauges and they seem to be very accurate. Yes, they were more expensive, but if I'd remember to check more often, I wouldn't have to change the tanks out in the middle of the night ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I checked and it still ran out at 3 am again last night :-)
    My rule should be - If it's in the yellow during daylight, replace.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    LauraRey, and Verna, We have just heard from the "middle of the night" tank expert himself. PXL, did 'ya ever get your blue bunny skivvies, or are 'ya still sticking [no pun intended!] to the pink flamingos with your middle of the night propane tank dance? By the way, I have a gauge on mine, and have yet to have to change it in the middle of the night because when it gets to a quarter tank, I either fill it, or change it. Kinda like I never let the fuel tank in either of the trucks get below a half tank. Saves a lot of grief! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Eric, although I fill up before the 1/4 tank left mark, it just seems to slip my mind before I go to bed. I should listen to my "woman's intuition" when it comes to propane tanks......
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna, the one that says "If in doubt, change it?" ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Yup. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Just a side note, the ONLY time I like running out of gas is after eating baked beans, broccoli, or chili! :D  
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 937
    edited December 2016
    These gauges are not for telling how much propane is left in the tank.  They basically only indicate some or none.  They are simply a pressure gauge that will indicate somewhere in the green zone, depending on temperature, if there is any liquid propane left in the tank.  Once you reach the point where there is only gaseous propane remaining (basically empty), the pressure will drop steadily as you use up that last bit.  If it is in the yellow, you are well on you way to only the last breaths of the gaseous fuel remaining.  It may run the stove top for long enough to finish cooking but will last only a few minutes running the furnace.
    There are stick on gauges you apply to the side of the tank that will help determine the liquid level but generally require pouring warm water over the area to be able to sense the temperature difference caused by the liquid level in the tank.
    Many folks carry a one pound propane bottle (or two) and a "steak saver" adapter for those times when you unexpectedly run out.  Or when, for instance, the gauge is in the yellow just before bedtime!

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I bought the same one months ago.  Stopped using it - just didn't seem very accurate.  I now weight the tank at each refill and then again before heading out.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    I got a tank from UHaul for $35 with a gauge that I actually find very useful. 

2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    The Worthington Tank (Uhaul) has an actual float inside, so the gauge is not just reading pressure. After researching various methods, this seems like most accurate way to tell how much liquid is left. Has a 10 year warranty.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    The pressure gauges vary so much based on temp that they're just a rough estimate. But, they do alert you to the fact you're getting low. Just don't give you an idea of exactly how low.
  • Options
    Found a photo showing the interior:

Seattle, WA
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 937
    edited December 2016
    Very interesting, I have not seen a gauge like this before.  The float is usually just part of the OPD (Over Pressurization Device) valve required on all LPG tanks.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,450
    The Worthington Tank (Uhaul) has an actual float inside, so the gauge is not just reading pressure. After researching various methods, this seems like most accurate way to tell how much liquid is left. Has a 10 year warranty.
    I also rely on the scale method, but hauling the tank in and out between trips is a PITA. I'd plunk down for the Worthington tank--especially since I'm looking to replace on of my expired ones anyway.

Jill, how many fill cycles has your tank been through? How accurate and durable is the gauge under real-world use?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    The only trouble with buying a tank is I've run into areas where it's been "exchange" or nothing. Sure hated giving up my nice sparkly new tank that first time :-)
  • Options
    reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    I hadn't thought about the exchange tanks.  Do you generally only carry one 20lb tank with you?
    Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
    2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't actually know where to get a tank filled up here.  We always exchange them.

• Options
    reedd - I carry two. Use the second as a spare and to power my grill.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    There are also composite tanks which are transparent (and less than half the weight of steel!).  Then you can simply glance for the fuel remaining.  Unfortunately they are very expensive, but they are certified to last longer than steel tanks.  Check Amazon.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    PXLated said:
    The pressure gauges vary so much based on temp that they're just a rough estimate. But, they do alert you to the fact you're getting low. Just don't give you an idea of exactly how low.
    And that is all that really matters to me, I am not out on propane for a long enough period of time that I need a more accurate look at it.  So I guess it also depends on how you camp.  I tend to camp in more populated areas, moving from place to place regularly, so it is easy to get a refill long before I run out.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Yep, your mileage may vary. Like all things camping, depends on where, how, wants, needs :-)
  • Options
    LauraRey, Check at local gas stations [I no longer call them service stations for obvious reasons! When you do find an actual "service station, they are few, and far between...anyway...] Lots of gas stations have propane re-filling stations as quite a few cars & trucks have been converted to run on propane, and it also gives them an extra profit to fill tanks for not only RVs, but folks with propane barb-ques as well.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Ya, some fuel stops have propane - and some even dump stations. It varies by area so much it hasn't been something I can rely on - Virtually none in the central plains. Lots in SW.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    ericnliz said:
    LauraRey, Check at local gas stations [I no longer call them service stations for obvious reasons! When you do find an actual "service station, they are few, and far between...anyway...] Lots of gas stations have propane re-filling stations as quite a few cars & trucks have been converted to run on propane, and it also gives them an extra profit to fill tanks for not only RVs, but folks with propane barb-ques as well.
    I'm in Ontario....and while it is entirely possible I've been oblivious, I've only seen the trade-in cages there (at gas stations).
  • Options
    Last winter in AZ and Southern California, I found the refill stations at gas stations, Ace Hardware, RV parks, large U-Haul rental facilities and Camping World. The least expensive was at a gas station in the middle of nowhere that had the lowest gas prices and propane prices around. The highest was the RV campground. Ace Hardware was mid-range.  

I was able to use the Allstays app to find the LP refill stations. I can tell you there are only three refill places within 10 miles of me in Indianapolis (an LP gas company, U-Haul and Camping World). With all of the newer regulations on filling the tanks and the need for special training, a lot of the smaller refill stations at gas stations and convenience stores quit filling and went to exchange only (no special training needed).
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Laura Rey, I'm in Ontario as well, our Home Hardware fills tanks
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada