Options

Battery question

We hooked up a charger to our T@B battery today in the garage. The battery still read 12.7v but when we examined the water levels before hooking it up we noted that the 3 cells on the + side were low and needed water. The 3 cells on the - side were at the normal level. 

Can someone explain?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    A flooded cell battery will off-gas a bit when charging, so a little water loss is considered normal. The important thing is to net let the level drop below the top of the plates, as that will promote sulfation and shorten the life of the battery.

I'm not sure if differential off-gassing among cells means anything. I've noticed that dying batteries "boil" more when being charged, so maybe it's a sign that those cells are a little more tired than the others. Either way, I'd just top 'em up (use distilled water) and go on my merry way. If your battery can still take and hold a charge, then it's still got life.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Interestingly enough we checked the water level when we took the battery out 5 weeks ago and all the cells were at normal level. 
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Both my nearly new golf cart batteries in the T@B, and a recently replaced battery in my car have also lost water on the cell(s) closest to the positive terminal.

I have no idea what this means, or if it's normal.  I've found no guidance from googling either...
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited December 2016
    Yes, it's always been my experience that cells at one end of the battery use water faster than the other end.

Also I think that the more you charge the battery at a high rate, the more the electrolyte will boil, and lose water.

Photomom, are you using an 'external' charger to keep your battery topped off? Maybe it's over-charging? Or maybe you discharge your battery more than we do. Ours seldom needs water (annually at most). We only charge the battery with the Tab's system, and keep it plugged in pretty steadily.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Does anyone have experience with an AGM golf cart battery...so no cells to worry about?
    e.g. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-golf-car-battery-group-size-gc2agm/prod3870119.ip?mobiledetect=false

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    ChanW said:
    Yes, it's always been my experience that cells at one end of the battery use water faster than the other end.

Also I think that the more you charge the battery at a high rate, the more the electrolyte will boil, and lose water.

Photomom, are you using an 'external' charger to keep your battery topped off? Maybe it's over-charging? Or maybe you discharge your battery more than we do. Ours seldom needs water (annually at most). We only charge the battery with the Tab's system, and keep it plugged in pretty steadily.
    The battery had been in the T@B until the end of October, maintained by plugging into the house or a campground every 2-3 weeks. Then we took the battery out, put it in the garage, and moved the trailer to my friend's barn for the winter. At that time we checked the water level, which was fine, and the voltage which was 12.7, fully charged.

We have some nasty weather coming so we got out today and hooked up the charger. Before we did we checked the voltage, still 12.7v, and checked the water level in the cells. We were surprised to see that the water level in 3 of the cells had dropped since the end of Oct with the battery just sitting there with no load.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Don't know about anyone elses experience but I've looked in the holes and everything looked full but actually wasn't. Last time was helping a friend a few months back and was surprised that they actually took quite a bit of fluid even though they really didn't look low. Almost put the caps back on but decided to just pour a little in each - and I poured, and poured.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    Does it matter if you check the battery fluid after they have rested vs after recent discharging/charging?  Does the fluid expand when the battery is under load?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    edited December 2016
    It is best to check the fluid level before charging but only so you are sure the water level has not dropped below the plates.  The water must be above the plates at all times.  The fluid can expand when it heats up so you don't want to overfill.  Fluid can evaporate over time, even when batteries are sitting idle as they are vented.  It all depends on atmospheric conditions.

My procedure: check fluid level, add water if necessary to bring fluid at least 1/8" to 1/4" above plates.  Charge.  After full charge cycle disconnect battery and let rest one hour.  Top off water.  Done.

@DurangoTab - AGM batteries are excellent, maintenance free batteries.  They do require a higher charge voltage and are more expensive than comparable flooded acid batteries, though.  The one you linked is 190 amps (20 hour rate).  And, AGM batteries can be laid on their side!
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    SAM said:
    Does it matter if you check the battery fluid after they have rested vs after recent discharging/charging?  Does the fluid expand when the battery is under load?
    It bubbles, gurgles, pops, hisses, outgasses, and makes all sorts of noises when charging, which is why @ColoradoJon says just to add enough water to cover exposed plates prior to charging, otherwise bubbling acid overflow. Once charging completed, then can add water to full mark line.

I have not heard sounds while discharging, and my battery manual states to fill water only after full charge, so must not expand or be too gurgly during discharge.
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452

AGM batteries are excellent, maintenance free batteries.  They do require a higher charge voltage and are more expensive than comparable flooded acid batteries, though.  The one you linked is 190 amps (20 hour rate).  And, AGM batteries can be laid on their side!
    For my application, Trojan Group 24 Deep Cycle AGM had lower AH capacity (76 vs 100) than Deep Cycle Flooded, but did have identical absorbtion charging spec range of 14.1V - 14.7V 

But if you want maintainance free, or to have them inside the cabin, or lay on side, they seem like a good option to consider, but there may be an AH capacity trade-off depending on brand. Of course if you have two 6V, you are swimming in capacity! If and when mine eventually goes, I would certainly consider two 6V under a seat if I could not fit outside. 
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    What does AGM mean?
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    AGM = Absorbent Glass Mat

For more info:  Click Me
  • Options
    JltabJltab Member Posts: 89
    Anybody using a Deka Marine Master Deep Cycle Starting Battery. this is what I have when I bought my T@B, any trick and tips will be highly appreciated.
    2016 T@B Maxx S, Nissan Pathfinder
  • Options
    @jltab - I have no experience with that particular battery, but I do have two Deka 6V golf cart batteries hooked in series.  I've only had them since July and cannot comment on their durability or life expectancy.  They seem well made, are very heavy, and have a lot of capacity.  They were inexpensive, though, and have allowed me to test my dual battery setup on the cheap.

The marine battery you have is a hybrid - cross between 20 hour capacity and cold cranking amps.  For most people these batteries work well, especially if you have solar recharging.

Sorry I cannot say much about them.  They are new to me :)
  • Options
    JltabJltab Member Posts: 89
    @jltab - I have no experience with that particular battery, but I do have two Deka 6V golf cart batteries hooked in series.  I've only had them since July and cannot comment on their durability or life expectancy.  They seem well made, are very heavy, and have a lot of capacity.  They were inexpensive, though, and have allowed me to test my dual battery setup on the cheap.

The marine battery you have is a hybrid - cross between 20 hour capacity and cold cranking amps.  For most people these batteries work well, especially if you have solar recharging.

Sorry I cannot say much about them.  They are new to me :)
    Thanks @ColoradoJon, please share your experience with Deka 6V series setup later on.
    2016 T@B Maxx S, Nissan Pathfinder
  • Options
    j_ntabownersj_ntabowners Member Posts: 133
    Would anyone be willing to share a picture of their set up with a battery disconnect switch in place? I've found some helpful youtube videos on how to install one, but just wanted to see what other folks in this forum have set up.

Jim & Nadine 2015 T@b Max S pulled by 2016 KIA Sorento - East Wenatchee, Wa

States Visited Map

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    If you search for "cutoff" or something similarily relevent, there's several threads about cutoff switches with pics.
  • Options
    Thank you, will do

States Visited Map

• Options
    VermonsterVermonster Member Posts: 80
    I don't have a pic of mine but it mounts directly on the battery terminal.  Install in literally minutes and works great.  Purchased at local auto parts
  • Options
    You can also mount it inside near the converter, if you prefer.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    hi Scott thank you for the photo, do you have a shot of how it hooks into your converter?  Sorry I'm such a visual guy I have to see it from several angles. 

States Visited Map

• Options
    Here's a photo from the back. In summary, I cut the wire running from the battery to the converter, and crimped on a short extension and two appropriately sized ring terminals. The switch has a cover that fits over the terminal once everything is hooked up.

I got the idea for this installation from someone else on this forum, but I don't recall who. Feel free to PM me if you want more details.  

2015 T@B S

• Options

I don't have a pic of mine but it mounts directly on the battery terminal.  Install in literally minutes and works great.  Purchased at local auto parts

Thank you,  is it this one?

States Visited Map

• Options
    VermonsterVermonster Member Posts: 80
    That's not the one but it's a similar idea.  Mounts on the negative terminal.  I'll get a pic tomorrow and post it
  • Options
    Thanks, sorry to be so annoying.   I appreciate the group's patience with this newbie.

States Visited Map