Options

She's Home! (and initial observations and questions)

LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
edited December 2016 in Introductions
Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Great, now you can start spending money on filling'r up and mods :-)
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    I'm so excited for you! Congratulations!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    Happiest congratulations LauraRey!!!  She's beautiful!
    Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
    2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Great, now you can start spending money on filling'r up and mods :-)
    LOL...I bought things like locks and chocks.  I don't plan on buying much more until I see how all my camping gear transitions.

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    1. I love the Alde.  Turned it on. It worked.   
    2. Learned a valuable lesson: Do not unhitch until you retrieve the tool to lower the stabilizers from the back of the camper.  Doing so afterwards is an adventure.
    3. Question: Why are there two remotes for the television/Jenson system?

• Options
    FlatirefayFlatirefay Member Posts: 1
    Congratulations on your new T@B.  I see many great adventures in your future!
  • Options
    LauraRey - Don't quite understand #2 ... I keep the stabilizer crank in the cabinet under the fridge. Open door, retrieve. But, the stabilizers aren't near the top of my setup routine, sometimes they're even last.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Hi LauraRey, no clue why there are two remotes. I usually use the larger one. Neither one is backlit and annoying for those of us who can't see in the dark (one came with the Jensen and one came with the TV btw - but they are setup to work with both).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    So happy for you, LauraRey! That is one fine looking T@b! Can't wait for mine to come in. Then I can start asking all of mine questions.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    PXLated said:
    LauraRey - Don't quite understand #2 ... I keep the stabilizer crank in the cabinet under the fridge. Open door, retrieve. But, the stabilizers aren't near the top of my setup routine, sometimes they're even last.
    Yup, stabilizers come last, after you level, chock and unhitch.

Congratulations, BTW.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    A thing of great beauty-congratulations!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    congrats on getting her home safely!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Dealership took the tire out and mounted it underneath, and then put the stabilizer crank in the very back of the trailer.  Unhitched, I had to get to the back and not tilt the trailer to get to the crank.  Will be moving it to under the fridge. :)

• Options
    Ratkity said:
    Hi LauraRey, no clue why there are two remotes. I usually use the larger one. Neither one is backlit and annoying for those of us who can't see in the dark (one came with the Jensen and one came with the TV btw - but they are setup to work with both).
    Thanks for letting me know.  Just struck me as odd.
  • Options
  • Options
    Alas, it won't fit under the fridge.  hmmmm....it may have to go in the TV.

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    LauraRey said:
    Alas, it won't fit under the fridge.  hmmmm....it may have to go in the TV.

I ordered the Outback platform so it came with an extra long stabilizer crank. It fits perfectly behind the passenger side bench back cushion and is easy to grab from outside when making camp. We keep it there all the time.

Our approach is to keep all the things that belong to and are only used with the T@B, in or on the T@B itself. The only things we carry in the TV are general purpose camping things like chairs, outdoor table, camp stove, lantern, etc., and those get stored in the garage between trips.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    LauraRey,  #3, There are two remotes, yes. One for the stereo, one for the television. Congrats on the homecoming, looks great! You are very wise to wait until you have some adventures under your belt to begin purchases for your new T@B. One of the first things we did was to purchase a socket to use for the stabilizers so we could use a cordless drill to raise and lower them. We still have the handle supplied as a back-up though. At any rate, your first camp out [or two] should be in your driveway. Play with EVERYTHING and familiarize yourself with the way things operate. This makes it so much easier when you hit the road later, and if it brings up questions, ask them here, and get your answers so you can just walk back out & solve any concerns or questions while you're still at home. At any rate, have FUN, and enjoy your new T@B!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Photomom, NuCampRV got smart and they now offer the longer version of the stabilizer crank. So much easier on the back and knees!  I keep mine in the truck for right now. I'll figure out a permanent storage solution while in AZ. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221

Congrats!  Like you, I transitioned all my camping gear in before buying new stuff.  You will be buying new stuff though.  :-)  The command strip hooks and tiny shelves were some of my first additions...and little bins to hold stuff in all the cabinets so it doesn't toss around and make a mess.  I have an Outback and go off road a lot, so that might not be a big deal for you.  And then there are all the cool mods you see on this forum...it never ends...start a T@B fund.  :-) 

I agree with Ericnliz, camp in the driveway and play with everything to make sure you know how it works before hitting the road.  Such things as: If you hook up to city water, turn off the water pump so you don't sit there and wonder why your fresh water tank is almost empty after that nice shower...yep, happened to me.  :-)

Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    Spent the day working from the trailer.  We are at -1C with a -5 windchill. Ugh.  However, the Alde said the interior temp was 19.  So, to end the day, my daughter and I popped popcorn and watched Ice Age 3 in the t@b.  Soon, it will be too cold and snowy to do that.  Should I take the battery out and bring it inside?  The propane tank?
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    I would also take the television out as they do not like Canadian winters...ah the joy of snow...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    It occurred to me last night, as I was sorting and reading the huge pile of manuals that came with the trailer, that there wasn't just a "T@B Instruction Manual".  I'll have to grab one from here http://www.tab-rv.com/download/literature/T@B Owner's Manual.pdf
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Did you read this manual prepared by Breakaway? Not your specific T@B, but was helpful. 

Owner's Manual for an early 2014 S M@x. It's in the manual listings to the right.

John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    LauraRey said:
    Spent the day working from the trailer.  We are at -1C with a -5 windchill. Ugh.  However, the Alde said the interior temp was 19.  So, to end the day, my daughter and I popped popcorn and watched Ice Age 3 in the t@b.  Soon, it will be too cold and snowy to do that.  Should I take the battery out and bring it inside?  The propane tank?
    I sooo read that wrong the first time around, I was thinking the Alde can do a lot better than 19°, then I realized it was Celsius.

As @ontheroad mentioned, you should take the television out if you expect the interior temp to get below about -6°C (yes, I did the conversion :wink: ). 

Battery can stay in if you are on shore power, as the converter will go into a trickle charge mode automatically.  If not, remove it and place it on a charger over the winter.

The propane tank should be fine as far as I know.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    cyclonic, does leaving your t@b on shore power ( battery charging) at home during the winter increase your power bill to any great degree? Thinking about doing that.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    keithpkeithp Member Posts: 31
    I leave mine plugged in, with a dehumidifier inside and the alde running on low. This keeps the inside above freezing and dry, which seems like a good way to avoid lots of issues. Of course, I live in western Oregon where the temperatures rarely get below freezing (although we do have snow today!), so the alde doesn't actually run all that much. I didn't see any effect on my electric bill last winter.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    What is the problem with the TV? I can't imagine that everyone in the North takes the TVs out of their RVs every winter. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom - And, they get shipped via trains, trucks, containers into subzero temps. May even sit in a transfer yard for long periods.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    Well I didn't take my TV out last winter, and it's just fine.

Wait...come to think of it...I never turned my TV on last season, so what do I know!  :-)
    2015 T@B S