Options

Thinking about a T@b

Good morning!  Thank you for adding me as a member.  I'm looking for some input from T@b owners on what attracted them to the T@b.  Really what I'm looking for is input as to why I should buy one.

Some background - we've camped in just about everything.  From a tent, pop up trailer (Fleetwood Evolution), Sportsmobile. and now a Hallmark truck camper.  We've liked aspects of them all and now want to try a travel trailer. 

What we like - nice interior finishes, some dirt road capability, and some "coolness" factor (we don't mind zombies too much).

We dry camp mostly due to having two large, sort of unfriendly dogs.  We like forest service and BLM roads with dispersed camping and are rarely camp with hook ups.

Until 2 days ago the finalists in our search were the Lance 1685, R-Pod 179, Winnebago 2106 or 1700.  And then we saw a T@b Max S Outback which totally rocked our world.  We loved the T@b when it first came out and apparently our feelings haven't changed. 

As you can tell we really had no idea what we wanted other than ground clearance (we'd have the Winnebago lifted if we went that way).  The Lance is too fancy and big, the R-Pod is really kind of ugly, and the Winnebago would have to have a lot of things done to meet our needs.  We don't want a house on wheels.  We want a nice place to sleep.

So what are my concerns with the T@b?  Mainly the space because of the 2 dogs Great Pyrenees mix/Husky Shepherd mix), the interior height (I'm 5'2" so I love it but it's my husband I'm concerned about) and the Alde system in regards to winter camping. 

So I'd love to hear from someone their experiences with the T@b.  And any input you may have about my concerns. 

Thank you all!

Comments

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    We love our T@B Max S. I can't think of anything I would change that can't be accomplished with minor mods - which are fun to do. I wanted to speak mainly to the height concern. My wife is 5'-2" like you and has absolutely no issues. I'm 6'-2" and 230. I was initially concerned, but found it not to be an issue much at all. I haven't hit my head since the first time or two and find moving around in it fairly easy. My feet hang off the bed slightly but not enough to be bothersome. There is a thread here somewhere where someone who's 6'-4" created an excellent solution for that with a small cushioned table from WalMart. I can't remember who off the top of my head but maybe he'll chime in soon. Also, the shower isn't much of a problem either once you realize it's a lot easier if you sit down.
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Lilredrover, First of all, a hearty welcome aboard! Second, you came to the right place for any, and all info for your decision making on a T@B. The folks here are from my experience, helpful, knowledgeable, and sincere in both recommendations and ideas.
     I can only give you my perspective on thoughts on the T@B. My wife and I, like you transformed from tent camping to a Rockwood tent trailer [slept 5 comfortably with 2 queen size beds, and a twin, never used the single. Had a fridge, heater, and sink. No inside toilet other than the port-a -potty we bought at a garage sale. Always camped with our dog inside at night.], to our T@B Max S. I am 6' tall, so I can appreciate your concerns there, my wife is 5'8". We chose the S model [we were leaning towards the CS with the outdoor kitchen at first] because of the queen size bed, heat, sink, fridge, Alde heat & hot water system, and indoor bath with toilet. Absolutely love it! Fits all our needs with a few mods. We, like you folks, do most of our camping "off grid", no hook-ups. For us, the purchase of a solar panel large enough, but small enough to re-charge the battery for our usage was imperative. I chose a Renogy 100 watt suitcase model with controller to fit our recharging needs, and for the ease of operation, and storage capabilities. Your needs may vary. We purchased used, a Pahaque side tent, not only for extra space, but for the dog to sleep in. We also have a Cabellas outdoor kitchen for use under a 12'x14' screened awning as we do all of our cooking outdoors. If you have any more questions, or concerns, please feel free to ask, as I know when we were looking to purchase, we took our time, and we felt it was time well spent with a lot of thought process about what we liked, disliked, what would and wouldn't work, and what we could use to tow with mixed in. [A year from the first time we went into, and checked out a T@B, and various other trailers until we purchased a T@B]
    From the sounds of things, and what you describe as your concerns, an Outback, perhaps even an S model with an Outback axle, or wait and check out what the different configurations, and/or options are on the new T@B 400 might be a consideration as well. Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    By the way, the Zombies are just an added "bonus"! =)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    Welcome, Lilredrover. We are also reformed tent campers, but the T@B S is our first RV. Compared to a tent, it represents a huge step up in comfort and convenience. That said, for the two of us its primary uses are sleeping and storage. We camp to be outside, and that is where we spend most all of our waking hours. While the T@B does provide occasional sanctuary against the most inclement weather, I'm not sure I'd actually want to live in it--a least not with someone else.

I'd say the two dogs are deal breaker (even for just sleeping), but we have friends that camp in a T@G XL with two German Shepherds, so what do I know?  I guess it all depends on your expectations, tolerance, and camping style, and that varies widely among individuals.

I do agree with ericnliz that tents, awnings, and the like really expand the utility of a tiny camper like the T@B. We tend to do short trips and prefer not to fuss with a tent, but we love our awning. If extended rain threatens, we also have a simple three-point shelter that can cover a picnic table. Deploying these extras as needed allows us to remain outdoors at times when a larger camper would beckon us inside. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    I've got my new T@B in my driveway right now with the heat running.  It was -2C when I started the heater this morning.  It took a couple of hours, but she's warmed right up to 18C.  The electronic panel isn't crazing about extreme cold, but I literally pressed my hand on it for 2-3 minutes to warm it up and it was happy.  The only thing I'm going to change (with my very limited experience with the trailer) is I'm going to add a small fan in the back to help circulate the heat a bit more.  It seems to get trapped a bit in the back underneath the back storage box. 

My daughter has been home sick this week and we decided to have a pizza party in the trailer tonight and watch the first season of Star Gate. (Her choice).
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    LauraRey said:

My daughter has been home sick this week and we decided to have a pizza party in the trailer tonight and watch the first season of Star Gate. (Her choice).
    Good choice.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I'm with ScottG,  the 2 large dogs would be the deal breaker for me, unless you're planning on crating them in the TV.   At 5'10  I bump my head a bit and hang off the bed some, so something to think about.  Not much room for more than 2 people in my opinion.  But could it work? Heck yeah.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    LauraRey said:
     The only thing I'm going to change (with my very limited experience with the trailer) is I'm going to add a small fan in the back to help circulate the heat a bit more.  It seems to get trapped a bit in the back underneath the back storage box. 

Are there 2 radiators in the T@B? I only found the one in the front cabinet near the door.

2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    RollingBnB - Two ... The big one is behind the bench seat under the ledge.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Welcome Lilredrover! Someone posted on here once that their two large dogs have come to feel that they share their new "crate" with their people. You may have the same experience, and I hope it all works well for you!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    PXLated said:
    RollingBnB - Two ... The big one is behind the bench seat under the ledge.

Thanks, found it. I was looking for some vent slits in the wood. I guess it all vents thru the back behind the shelf.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    RollingBnB - Mine's a 2015 with a full-width shelf. The vents are on the front of the cabinet. Many of us have add vent holes of various kinds to the shelf to enable more flow. There's a thread about it with pics.
  • Options
    Yep, 2-3" more clearance - But, I do a lot of boondocking and in 2+ years have only encountered 2-3 spots I couldn't maneuver into with the regular axel.
  • Options
    LilredroverLilredrover Member Posts: 7
    Thank you everyone for your very helpful comments.  They confirmed a lot of what we were thinking and gave us some very welcome perspective. 
    There isn't a dealer in our area so we drove 4 hours day before yesterday to actually see a T@b.  We have been researching travel trailers for close to a month now and were never very excited about what we were seeing until we saw the T@b in person.   We came home with a 2017 T@b Max S Outback.  It was meant to be. 
    We are very excited about the adventures in our future.  We are starting tonight by camping in the driveway and watching Christmas movies!

Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    Lilredrover, CONGRATULATIONS! What a great way to celebrate Christmas! While you're in there tonight, do start playing with ALL the gizmos and gadgets to help familiarize yourselves with your new acquisition. Your adventures have only just begun! MERRY CHRISTMAS. :)  
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    Lilredrover, we didn't even know T@Bs existed until we stumbled across one while out looking for A-frames. It was home within the week. I know what you mean about "meant to be!" Enjoy!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Congratulations to you and yours! How exciting! Enjoy your new T@B!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Congratulations to you Lilredrover! This has been about an eight month process for me from initial interest to ordering the T@b. Mine arrives home next week! I will definitely be following everyone's advice also and do some driveway camping and figure everything out.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al