Options

Goal Zero to Zamp

If you have or want to use a Goal Zero solar panel with the T@b, there are 2 new options available that will work with the Zamp quick disconnect port on the T@b propane cover box. The first is a new product that has a small panel and trickle charger built in:  Maintainer 10.. This seems like a really nice solution. The second is a new 6mm male to SAE cable that can be used with the Guardian Charger. The Guardian Charger is no longer available and has been replaced by the new panel/trickle charger. I also noticed that GZ now has a 90 watt panel that 32" x 32" and weighs 216 labs, the http://www.goalzero.com/p/260/boulder-90-solar-panel/. The Boulder 90 uses a more industry standard MC4 connector.

I like the build quality and customer service of GZ products but their prices are much higher than other products in their space. There is, however, a real benefit to having a plug and play system like theirs. The Boulder 90 coming in at over 21 pounds and the fact that it is only 90 watt might preclude it from serious consideration. I think it is a fairly new product as they have not answered the Q&A entries onto he product page yet.

I have a Boulder 15 and Guardian, already, so I might use that set up with he new SAE cable as a trickle charger to maintain the battery charge over the winter if I decide to leave it in my T@b. The Maintainer 10 looks like a great solution, too, though.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I like the idea of a smaller panel to be used and mounted outside my garage and that is what I am looking for.  However the smaller 10 watt panel has suction cups and I would need a means of securing it to the side of my garage.  

The larger panel doesn't appear to have a solar controller either, so you would need to have a controller so that you didn't over charge the battery.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Nom the larger panel does not have a controller. I have the Guardian trickle charge controller which works up to 90 watts, so I could use that.

Mike, if you are genuinely interested in the 10w panel, you should give GZ a call. They have great customer service and should be able to tell you if there would be a way to mount to your garage. I would think there should be a way with brackets or something.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Along this line of solar panel discussion, is it bad for the solar panel to get wet, as in "rained" on?  My controller hangs down under the panel (Zamp 80W), so it is protected a little bit, but what about the panels themselves?  Anyone experience this? :-S
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    The solar controller is weatherproof and since they do mount fixed panels on trailers I doubt there are any issues.  Zamp has nothing on their site that I could find that would indicate otherwise.  
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Oh, thanks, Mike!!!  That makes sense, since solar panels can be mounted permanently.  >:D<
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    If weather is eminent I normally put my panel away anyway as they are light and wind will pick them up and toss them around like a rag doll.   So I normally don't have it out in inclement weather.
  • Options
    I wonder if there is a way to anchor the panels? I am often gone for most of the day and storms can pop up, unexpectedly.

• Options
    Some tent stakes and a couple of pieces of rope across the top (similar to what a pup tent looks like) might work.  Anchor it down on both sides and with a piece of rope on each side.  Or some large rocks over the nylon adjustment straps and between the panel maybe?  
  • Options

I just sold my 200 watt Renogy set up because it was too big to haul around. I will have to wait until I get a new set up before I go to work, but I think you are right, Mike.

Renogy started making 100 watt suitcase panels. I might go that route. Hopefully they will start making panels that 120 watt or bigger and folding, as well.

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I installed unisolar 68 panels on the T@B and have been very happy.  While I'm not always getting the perfect angle, they are always working.  I've been extremely happy with a "no hassle" setup -- doesn't require dealing with hauling them into use or worrying about security or keeping them stable.  I just try and park the trailer with a good orientation, and I'm good to go.  
  • Options
    Sorry... both combined provide 136 watts of solar.  
  • Options
    I received the Goal Zero Maintainer 10 for Christmas (yeah!) so I will set it up soon and left everyone know how it works!

• Options
    Will a 10 watt panel be enough to make up for any parasitic drain encountered?  
  • Options
    Will a 10 watt panel be enough to make up for any parasitic drain encountered?  

We will soon find out. It might be. The 15 watt definitely is. It is getting good reviews on. Amazon.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited December 2014
    I used my (very old) 10W panel for much of the summer to maintain the battery charge.

I was worried that the parasitic draw might be too much, but I was able to take measurements in full sun while turning various items on and off, like the stereo, the television, the CO detector, and our little cigarette-lighter USB charger.

My panel is at its 'end-of-life', I'd say, and I couldn't get much more than 350-400mA out of it, but that should be enough to keep a charge on the battery.

I unplugged the easy things; the power to the television, and the USB charger, and the panel maintained the battery just fine.

But it would depend on the amount of sun we get in the winter, eh? B-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I agree....  Most solar systems are better suited for the southern and western tier of the US as the Great Lakes region is for the most part, shrouded in cloudy conditions during the winter months.  Mine is performing well here (via the 50 watt Renogy panel) and would be at a peak performance level where the sun shines the majority of the time.  
  • Options
    Nerdy1Nerdy1 Member Posts: 60
    I am a newbie here.  We will be picking up our Outback on Tuesday, and I have been doing a lot of research about adding solar to it.  On the Goal Zero site, they say that they are bringing out a new version of the Guardian Charger in January.
    T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Mike - True, but who camps in that northern tier during those months? Not many. Most northern hookup campgrounds are closed so if you do camp it's solar or generator.
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    It's my understanding that the Goal Zero panels are reverse polarity with the Zamp panels. Is that not correct? 
  • Options
    sabel said:
    It's my understanding that the Goal Zero panels are reverse polarity with the Zamp panels. Is that not correct? 
    It's actually the opposite: the Zamp port is reversed. If you have a GZ panel, just swap the positive and negative Zamp leads ln the battery.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Sorry Jenn but it is a "Zamp" port after all so it's wired for "Zamp" however they want to do it. So it is in fact GoalZero that's reversed for "that" port :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    We call it Zamp, but it uses a standard SAE 2 pin connector and cable. So it is Zamp that reverses the polarity. It's not a proprietary connector. The distinction matters because the polarity needs to be switched if using any other type of connection except Zamp, it's not restricted to GZ..

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Whatever - I actually don't care. I have a Zamp, the plug is label Zamp (compatible), I Plug it in, it works. :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Whatever - I actually don't care. I have a Zamp, the plug is label Zamp (compatible), I Plug it in, it works. :-)
    I'm glad you are happy with it. Other people, understandably, want to consider other options, as well. Those folks need to understand where the reverse polarity is if they want to use the quick connect on the T@b.

• Options
    If it doesn't work, try reversing?
  • Options
    mash2 said:
    If it doesn't work, try reversing?
    Yes. That would work, as long you knew that was the issue. I had other solar products before I knew that the polarity was reversed. =)

I think it's pretty cool that solar has evolved to a point that it is really usable, affordable, and we have choices. I hope it eventually becomes a little more standardized so it doesn't take quite as much consumer education, breaking down the barriers to allow more consumers to use solar for different application. It had such a rough start in consumer products that a lot of people still don't trust it.

• Options
    Are all others reversed from Zamp or just some brands?
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    Ive been using our Zamp 80 watt panels to keep the battery fully charged while in storage, but its a bit of overkill since battery has been disconnected. Plan on buying a  Zamp KICKER for battery maintenance sometime before Spring. Anyone else using one?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    PXLated said:
    Are all others reversed from Zamp or just some brands?
    It's not that they reversed against Zamp its that Zamp does not follow the industry standard.

@michiganmike spoke to Zamp and posted on another thread the following:

"Good question Lisa and one we should have answered long ago.  I took the time today to call Zamp Solar and speak to their technician, Jesse who spent some time and gave me a valid reason for the way Zamp designs their solar panels.  The reason Zamp wires up the panels the way they do is to protect the panel itself.  If the "male" plug end coming from the panel were bare, this could cause a short circuit condition in their solar panels if the "exposed" positive end made contact with a grounded surface.  So in effect the "female" (negative) end of their solar panel plugs are exposed and bare and this eliminates the potential for a short-circuit situation should someone touch the bare end to a grounded surface."

Zamp's intention was to market the quick connect that they sell with their systems. PV/LG puts them on their products for the convenience of the customer.

The quick connect is essentially a standard 2 pin SAE cable that has a cap and a plastic ring around it for mounting. SAE cables have been used in the automotive Industry for years. SAE is not frequently used in the solar industry, it is more common to see just MC4 or Anderson connectors.

• Options
    Jenn - As I said, I don't care if Zamp is different - You imply there's a standard wiring that everyone uses except for Zamp so what I asked is whether "all others" are opposite or just some like Renology, Goal Zero? 
    Sounds like Zamp has a good point as to why. Maybe that's why the warning on others about connecting before letting the sunbeams hit the panels Could short everything out.