Options

Goal Zero to Zamp

2»

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    edited December 2015
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - As I said, I don't care if Zamp is different - You imply there's a standard wiring that everyone uses except for Zamp so what I asked is whether "all others" are opposite or just some like Renology, Goal Zero? 
    Sounds like Zamp has a good point as to why. Maybe that's why the warning on others about connecting before letting the sunbeams hit the panels Could short everything out.

I can't honestly answer, "all" but I would be surprised if it were not all. This would be true for people who wanted to use the connection for a battery tender, too. The 2 pin connector that Zamp uses is a standard that everyone else uses. Zamp wires it backwards.

Their rationale seems ok, to me, but I think fusing the solar connection would make more sense and be safer.

Like I said, the consumer market would benefit from some standardizations in the solar world.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There will be no "one" answer to the question of reversal. We should just accept that Zamp wires their's as they do, Renogy wires theirs as they do, etc. Also accept that Little Guy uses Zamp connectors and they are wired to Zamp specifications. If you use it for anything else, change the wiring to your equipment's specifications. That is real simple.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    edited December 2015
    Verna said:
    There will be no "one" answer to the question of reversal. We should just accept that Zamp wires their's as they do, Renogy wires theirs as they do, etc. Also accept that Little Guy uses Zamp connectors and they are wired to Zamp specifications. If you use it for anything else, change the wiring to your equipment's specifications. That is real simple.
    @Verna yes and no. If you buy a an SAE cable from an auto parts store to use as an extender with your Zamp, eBay, or Amazon, it is wired to work with the correct polarity. Or, if you are trying to create your own cable, you need to know it is reversed from standard SAE.

If you plan to use Zamp, only with that connection, not anmissue, but I think about half of folks probably use other brands as well. The Teardrop Shop sells the Goal Zero Maintainer, and I know mine came with an SAE adapter, which was not reversed.

Now where it gets tricky is that it is all left to the dealer to connect everything correctly when they install the battery!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Jenn - FYI - The SAE connectors in auto parts stores are standard 16 gauge. When I tripped over my cable and broke the connector I looked all over for the required 10-12 gauge in auto parts stores and nothing. Finally had to order from amazon.
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    The thing to worry about on a "automotive parts store" SAE connector is the male plug is the positive wire so there's always a chance of grounding.