Options

Ryobi 18v tire inflator...

Very happy with this purchase... have the charger to charge batteries in my TV....these batteries also fit my impact wrench for changing flat tires on the road....built in gauge on unit...150 psi max...

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    Inflator itself is about 30 bucks... 
    batteries are another story...95 bucks 
    so a separate tool like an impact wrench for wheels helps justify the initial battery cost...
  • Options
    Gets great reviews too...!!!

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I wonder how hot it gets? All small compressors are meant to add 5 or so pounds to a tire and not inflate a completely deflated tire. Even the instructions for the "Slime" compressors say to let it cool off after so many minutes of continuous running. It's not only the compressor that gets hot either. The tip of the 12V insert gets so hot you can't touch it without getting burned (ask how I know lol).

Do you know how high psi it will go? I had to find a compressor that went above 50 psi because of my motorcycle tires and I frequently help a friend on her farm (her dually ires need 65 psi). I almost picked up a cheapo compressor and it only went to 40 psi max! I was surprised they made one for that low of pressure.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @jkjenn recommended the Viair compressor.
    I picked up this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X90YUO

Expensive, but excellent quality. 
    Yes, I think it has limits on its duty cycle as well.
    I've been very happy with it.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    edited January 2017
    Strongly recommend an on-board air system in your tow vehicle. Here is mine based on Viair components. Bolts to the frame under my FJ Cruiser, just forward of the receiver hitch.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    The 18v batteries are expensive but once you have a couple there are lots of useful things you can use them in. We bought one of these hybrid fans to use in our T@B awning to stir up the breeze when it's hot, also deters Mosquitos. Uses the same batteries and charger as my cordless drill and cordless miter saw. 

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    I know right... lots of tools to fit the battery system...
    this thing rocks too...I'm loving it...!

• Options
    Photomom said:
    The 18v batteries are expensive but once you have a couple there are lots of useful things you can use them in. We bought one of these hybrid fans to use in our T@B awning to stir up the breeze when it's hot, also deters Mosquitos. Uses the same batteries and charger as my cordless drill and cordless miter saw. 

I hadn't seen that toy yet! Nice :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    boo said:
    ChanW said:
    @jkjenn recommended the Viair compressor.
    I picked up this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X90YUO

Expensive, but excellent quality. 
    Yes, I think it has limits on its duty cycle as well.
    I've been very happy with it.

I bought one of these about three or four years ago. I was so impressed with it, I have one in my truck, my wife has one in her car, and I bought one for my son and daughter inlaw.
    I purposly deflated one of my large truck tires and reinflated using this compressor. It inflated the tire to 38 psi in five minutes, without a break.
    One of the cheap discount store inflators would not do that, not even close.
    The Viair compressors are heavy duty. A lot of Jeepsters and off road enthusiast use them.
    I also carry everything I need to fix a flat inside the case.
    With this compressor, you hook the two power leads to your car battery and start the car engine. This gives the compressor maximum power. This is a whole lot more powerful than the small 12v plug in types.
    I can tell you from experience, most of the small discount store 12v compressors are near useless.
    The only issue I have to be careful of is the combined cord lengths (leads to the compressor + the air hose) since my truck is a long bed and I'd either have to use a 12V plug in the camper (for the type that doesn't clip to the battery) or find an extension cord (I did - 14g too). The onboard compressor sounds interesting and I totally agree that the compact 12v compressors are near useless. I think the only one of those I'd recommend is a portable one (Slime, I think) made for motorcycles for the bike riders out there.
  • Options
    Inflator itself is about 30 bucks... 
    batteries are another story...95 bucks 
    so a separate tool like an impact wrench for wheels helps justify the initial battery cost...
    Still like it very much! I have several Ryobi 18V items, so batteries are plentiful here (atm). 
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Nice Photomom! Have that same drill/extra batteries. That'll do nicely, like you suggested a few months back, for keeping bugs out of the tent!
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Nice Photomom! Have that same drill/extra batteries. That'll do nicely, like you suggested a few months back, for keeping bugs out of the tent!
    Oh they'll still come in but won't bother you if you sit in the breeze.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Photomom said:
    Oh they'll still come in but won't bother you if you sit in the breeze.
    of course they will and bite me 230348563 times while my husband escapes bite free... lol !
    :bee::i_dunno:
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    Just topped off 24 tires spares etc at my farm in the barn and shop  in areas /spaces where the tools above would be impractical for my needs... this is totally portable and don't need access to a car battery which is awesome. 
    Highly recommend if this is your scenario at home also...
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    That fan looks...fantastic! 

This is another great case of a choice made based on your personal needs.

At home, I picked up a full compressor, ridiculously cheap, through Amazon Warehouse deals. It comes in handy for inflating tires and winterizing and I love that I can control the pressure for winterizing. I use my Vair after airing down when I go off-road and for spot refills when I am mobile. I usually air down to 20-25 PSI and I am amazed at how quickly they fill back up. I picked up a longer hose than the standard one and a fitting that has an air pressure gauge on it. The last time I used a compressor at a Loves Travel Center, it required a credit card!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014