Ideas needed for back up camera

I just got a Tab max S.  I am wondering what types of brands or styles of back up cameras for hitching have been used. Also what about a camera on the back of the  TAB for backing up in camp?

I was thinking something from Tadibrothers and a wireless model that can be mounted during the hitching process and the backing up process.. has anyone ever tried a license  plate mounted wireless camera?

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    There were just a couple of threads in the last 2-3 weeks about backup cameras. Try a search or browse thru the thread list and I'm sure you'll find them.
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited August 2017
    sbhtennis said:

I just got a Tab max S.  I am wondering what types of brands or styles of back up cameras for hitching have been used. Also what about a camera on the back of the  TAB for backing up in camp?

I don't consider a hard-wired camera mod something most T@B owners will want to do. It's not easy unless you like to tinker and it's not simple and clean like wireless. Even standard wireless kits are not simple to do. For trials and tribulations see this thread: http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4020/

I suggest you consider this no-hassle digital wireless option: http://quickvucams.com/
    Two issues -- 1. Unit won't mount on the license plate due to plate light but HD Velcro or 3M Dual Lock will work fine on outer shell (camera doesn't need to be dead center). 2. Battery powered cameras are primarily designed for backing up. The recommended lithium AA batteries last up to one year but full-time rearview camera use will trim that down substantially.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I have a Furrion that is wireless and can be used in the TV as a rearview/backup camera and in the T@B to monitor what is behind the camper while you're in there.  I mostly boondock in remote areas, so being about to see 'out back' at night before letting the dog out is a plus for me.  I posted instructions on how I installed it on the thread referenced by TabberJohn.
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Pearl - Nice clean design but it should be for $475.
    edited January 2017
    Furrion is a viable contender albeit a more expensive wireless solution ($350-400+). Their transmitter requires a 12v connection to your T@B or wiring harness so drilling is likely plus running some wire. Their camera is also designed to be mounted high on an RV.
    The QuickVu ($259) camera mounts low and requires no 12v connection or wiring (battery operated). That's why they pitch it as "the first truly wireless system".
    Pearl ($475) uses Wi-Fi + Bluetooth and requires a connection through your vehicle's diagnostic port (OBD-II). Pearl's focus is on backup safety with proximity alert and requires a smartphone as the monitor. Main problem though is their license plate mount won't work on most T@Bs.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 451
    My solution works great and under $100 total for monitor, trunk cam, night vision trar trailer cam. See my post on this for actual video taken while driving. 
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909

I've considered Swift Hitch.  Totally wireless and portable. ~$200

https://swifthitch.com/products/sh01-complete-system

• texasaubiefantexasaubiefan Member Posts: 62
    I bought the quickvu digital. Installation was simple but it flat didn't work on the back of the tab.  First, it conflicts with the light for the license plate.  Second and most important, I couldn't pickup the camera from my TV.  I moved the camera to the back of the TV and it worked fine.  So distance was an issue.   They advertise tested to 1200' and have a photo of a big trailer behind a pickup truck on their site.   Bunch of baloney.  I'm returning it.  
    2017 T@B 320-S, Sofitel (M@bel)
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
    TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 
    David & Jill, Houston, TX
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I use my cute spotter..Liz! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    David...  I just returned the QuickVu as well.  As you said the license plate light prevented it from fitting on the top of the plate and the camera pointed too far downward so no sideview.  They suggested I attach it to the bottom of the plate and add extra bracing to aim the camera higher, etc., etc.  Not my thing... I wanted something simple without having to drill holes in the RV.  I have ordered the Tadibrothers Sku81900.  Same wireless concept as QuickVu.  Should have it by Tuesday and will provide update.
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    @OreoTAB. Very interested in how you make out. I am considering the same.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
    Thanks @OreoTAB. I'm mainly interested in a camera for driving thru traffic.  Being able to see lane changes in Houston or other congested areas is important.  Let me know how you make out. 
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770

Thanks @OreoTAB. I'm mainly interested in a camera for driving thru traffic.  Being able to see lane changes in Houston or other congested areas is important.  Let me know how you make out. 

Now that's an innovative idea that I would be totally interested in! Looking forward to solutions!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)

ericnliz said:

I use my cute spotter..Liz! =)

I have a similar model spotter.  I often have problems with the communications link so I'm looking for a different technology ;)

Being able to see lane changes in Houston or other congested areas is important.  Let me know how you make out. 

I have found the battery operated cameras have run times of only a few hours.

I am looking at units with a 12v power option so I can have a full time trailer rear view. That is really more important to me than the campgroud parking.   I think it would be easy to access running light power to supply the camera and otherwise be "wireless".  I would have to make a fixed mount to the T@B anyway because there is no steel for the magnetic mounts.   For a full time camera it would need to be very weather proof also.

The Swift Hitch still has my attention.  Small screen but otherwise looks pretty rugged and portable for other possible uses. 

We've gotten by without for six seasons and many miles, but it's always fun to shop for more gadgets.

Have fun!

edited August 2017

For full time rearview use you'll likely want a 12v connected camera (versus battery operated) with video either hardwired all the way to the monitor in the TV (a job in itself) or a video digital transmitter/receiver set that actually WORKS. :D

I'm fine with the <$100 non-digital wireless hodgepodge kit I located on Amazon (many options to choose from), but RF interference on a crowded interstate is annoying. Ditto driving under power lines. Choppy and intermittent image.
    On backroads and two lane highways though it works just fine as shown below. 

Mirror clip-on monitor stows in glove box. This is a 7" model but 5" would have been fine.

Receiver plugs into 12v receptacle on dash console. Transmitter is under the T@B couch.

Camera is barely noticeable where mounted and is .1 lux for some night vision.

If I were to consider a do-over I'd --
    1. Locate a digital transmitter/receiver kit that works as it should with no RF interference.
    2. Consider an adjustable mount camera on top of the license plate cubby hole lip (not underneath it). Possibly IR LEDs for true night vision.

Y'all stay tuned.  Quickvu contacted me and we are working it.  Still not convinced but at least they are totally responsive.  
  • SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    I received my Tadibrothers #81900 rear view camera today and I'm pleased.  The only drawback I can see for some might be the very short 6" cord from the monitor to the cigarette lighter adapter.  I can't place the monitor on the dashboard, but it fits nicely near the gear shift in my TV.  The camera has a magnetic back so I'm able to attach it to the Yakima rack (see pics).  I can also attach it to the metal plate in the middle of the Yakima, but that's more difficult for 5' me.  They also provide a strong velcro if you have no metal on the back of your RV.  For insurance I will also attach it with a cable tie.  The monitor is small but I'm getting a clear picture behind me.  They say the battery is only good for 3 to 5 hours, but I'll use rechargeable batteries and don't plan on driving longer than that in any one day.  I give it a thumbs up so far.  The true test will be next week on my way to the Lincoln Rock gathering.

2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @OreoTAB, that's the one I have, but used it temporarily to back up into my driveway without hitting my vinyl fence, not as a permanent install. The monitor is on a stand that can be rotated inside the truck. It's not corded, but plugs straight into the 12V socket.. I haven't taken out to look at it in a while. Something to think about!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    The one thing that still makes me a little nervous when pulling my T@B is not being able to see behind me.  If I could overcome that, I would be doing great.  So I am looking at a TadiBrothers SKU 78589 wireless rearview mirror with license plate camera.  I understand from other posts that the license plate light would interfere with the camera mount but this model can also be mounted without the frame.  Just a bar with an adjustable camera.  I think the best place to mount it would be on the "shelf" just above the license plate cubby, as @TabberJohn had suggested above but I hesitate to put any screws into what appears to be a fairly thin plastic trim.  Also, I am wondering if the power source for that camera could come from the license plate light.  Is that light always on when towing or would it just require the tv lights be on to be powered?  Has anyone used one of these?  If so, how did you mount it?  It does say that you can mount either on the top or bottom of the license plate.
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
    @foxden -- The issue with mounting a license plate type camera on the upper lip is it likely won't tilt far enough down to point where you want. You would need a different camera style for top of lip placement. You could, however, drill holes at bottom of plate (none there now) and use the license plate mount. I assume you'll need a third hole for the camera feed.

The plastic shell is plenty sturdy. You have to take a number of things apart to gain access from inside your T@B. All wires are easily accessible from there. You can tap into wires to the license plate light or running lights. I used the running lights as the transmitter is on the passenger side wall under the back couch.  We always drive with headlights on anyway. 
    I suggest Posi-tap not quick splice connectors if you don't plan to solder and shrink wrap.

TadiBrothers has a dizzying array of options and upgrades available including a digital transmitter/receiver. I never got a clear answer if their standard wireless set was shielded to prevent RF interference.

One thing I noticed with our inexpensive clip-on monitor is brightness control is minimal and the video appears dim on bright sunny days.
    I have also looked at their standard camera that could be mounted in that same "shelf" location.  It has a built in transmitter so it would only need holes on either side to mount the camera bracket and then one larger one in the middle to access the power on the license plate light just below it.  A plug is included that would cover that hole.  Hate the idea of putting holes in the T@B but I know I would feel so much better with the ability to see behind me when I tow.
    An update on the quick vu camera.   I sent my display unit back and they sent me a new one.   Works like a champ now.   The company was outstanding to work with.  They checked in regularly with me until the issue was resolved.  Haven't seen that type of customer focus in many companies.   Great little camera.  BTW, I mounted the camera itself with Velcro on the back of the tab and have another piece on my jeep so I can get double use of it as a backup camera and for when I'm pulling in heavy traffic on the tab.   Sorry it took so long for me to get an update.
    @texasaubiefan How did you wire the camera power?  I have ordered the license plate camera from TadiBrothers and plan to install on the bottom of the plate.  Still not sure about where to run the wires into the T@B.  I think, based on a photo that @TabberJohn sent me, I should be able to drill through just on the edge of the license plate (passenger side) and fish the wire through to the area inside the back storage under the sofa.  Then I can access the running lights on that side.  Very nervous because I have to drill through the T@B trim, the insulation and a wood panel that runs from the shelf down to the floor.  Interested to know your solution.
    @texasaubiefan is using a battery powered camera. No hole required. ;)
    When you drill the hole into the shell it only needs to be about a 1/4" deep to gain access to the cavity between the shell and insulation and wood panel. Unless there is change in 2017 model there is a cubby hole under the couch on the passenger side that goes all the way back to the rear cavity with access to the running lights wires. You may need an electrical cable snake but I don't think you need to drill through the insulation or wood panel.
    @TabberJohn I have looked everywhere in that storage for access that you have in yours and I believe maybe that may have been changed in the 2017 model.  I do see a small opening on the far left side near the side wall.  Is that the cubby hole you are talking about?  I do see the running lights back there but wasn't sure how to get the wires over to that far side.  
    edited August 2017

Yes, the small opening in far left side.
    The black cable in the photo is my camera which connects to a transmitter (not shown).
    Since I had the rear shell cavity exposed by removing the back shelf, board, and insulation, I tapped into the running light wires behind the insulation sheet. However, as you can see from the photo I could have tapped into the running light either side of the cubby hole. My running light power wires are green and white connected to the red/red running light.

An electrical cable snake should make it easy to pull your camera power cable into the cubby. Without that you may be able to push your camera cable through the hole you drill, then reach into the cubby to the right and fish for it just behind the insulation sheet that hangs vertically.

Thanks so much for that @TabberJohn That is what I am going to do.  It is only a few feet away from the license plate cubby so the fish tape should work fine.  Just have to wait for the camera to arrive!  Will report back when it is installed.  Did you connect the wires with the heat shrink connectors?  If so, do I just put one of the camera wires and one of the ends of the green wire together in one end and the other green wire in the other end.  Do the same for the white?