Options

I Took the Plunge

RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
edited January 2017 in Introductions
I did it. My T@Bitha is going to a new home *sniff*. It was a sad parting, but I kissed her bye-bye and know she'll go to a good home. 

I now have a vintage-looking, but new small toy hauler (called a Retro 820R by Riverside). The living area is still tiny so it feels cozy (not as cute as the T@B), but it has a garage! It's 20 ft long tip to tongue, so the short part of backing up is not an issue, but it's 2 ft wider and TALL. It has an itty bitty kitchen, a larger Dometic frig and freezer that I want to reverse the doors on, shower, potty cassette with a vent and fan inside with a wee more turn around space, another Fantastic fan that has the remote and rain sensor, AC (traditional on top) and a furnace, 10 gal traditional hot water heater, 10 g black tank, 35 gal gray and 35 gal fresh water (I guess they think toy hauler people are stinky). The bed in the front goes wheel to wheel. It has the Jensen stereo, but no TVs included. It also has a couple of fire extinguishers, CO-propane monitor, smoke alarm, See-level panel and power awning. I'm thinking of calling it Phoenix or Phoenix Rising because in mid-summer it might spontaneously combust (like my all black bike) and resurrect the other 3 seasons lol. I'm not sure if I should also call the bike one of those names because it took me 3 tries to get it inside. Third time was a charm! 

Kitchen with functional range vent and microwave. The hot water heater is underneath in the corner with access outside.

At ramp looking towards front - Frig and freezer on right, entertainment system and thermostat on right. The wheel of my 7' bike goes slightly past the kitchen cabinets.

One of the Gouchos down - it's a couch or when both are down, it's an additional queen been (albeit a firm mattress!). The bug screen is partly down. There's a folding light table behind the right goucho. The ramp needs more traction and I have some marine stuff I'm going to paint on when it gets warmer out. 

Bike in (sans detachable windshield) - ramp up - yes, those are landscape bricks. A special wheel chock needs to be made because mine was too big side to side. I just need the wheel not to turn while being towed. For parking as a garage for the winter, it'll do!

Bike in with ramp down.

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)

Comments

• Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    Very nice looking rig. Is that dealership in Moyock by chance?
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Ratkity, that looks great! I hope you will hang around here long enough to show us how you decorate and tell us about your first adventure!

That is quite a change from a pretty, pretty Tabitha!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    You have Steeler colors!!!!

I can really see the advantage of a toy hauler if you travel with a bike, like this. It looks easier to manage than getting it into the bed of your truck. Congrats!!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Congratulations on it, it looks like it will suit your needs very well.

I am not big on the styling of the Retros, particularly the interiors, but they seem to have pretty good builds.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Congrats, Ratkity!  You did it!  Please keep in touch--we like your humor. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    Sorry you've had to part ways with your T@Bitha, but that Retro sure is a really nice solution for taking the bike along. If the T@B fits my dream of the perfect camper, that 820R fits my dream of the perfect toy hauler! Come back around and say "hi" once in a while.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I did see the muddy tire print on the black and white floor. I wished someone had been closer to help you. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JustJohn said:
    Very nice looking rig. Is that dealership in Moyock by chance?
    Yes it is! Great eye! Gonna call you "Eagle-Eye John".
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Verna said:
    I did see the muddy tire print on the black and white floor. I wished someone had been closer to help you. 
    On the third try inside, I had a spotter lol. I was so afraid I was going to crash into the cabinets that I'd slow down too soon before the back tire got on the level floor. BTW, going backwards down the ramp wasn't too bad (once). I won't mention the 2nd time I had to go backwards. ;)

Oh, and I found out about this great paint that is better than the fine sandpaper stuff on the ramp. The recommendation came from a Harley parts guy who has boats and I talked to the tech at the marine store - fantastic guy. Fingers crossed at how well it works! It'll be in the Spring when I can get around to painting it on.

I did get that mud trail scrubbed up LOL. I swear, I thought the ground was dry enough. Really!!! :lol:

I'll be hanging around here. Too many cool folks and the T@Bs will always have a spot in mah heart :heart: Nope, the Retros aren't even close to the cuteness of the T@B and I think their company has had some growing pains too, but ya gotta love a tiny trailer! I know my sister and others like the Alto look, but I'm still a sucker for T@Bs.

Edited to add: Besides.... I gotta keep an eye on eric and PXL. Also gotta follow V and the Goodwill store trail. I might some good stuff for decor!
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    You have Steeler colors!!!!

I can really see the advantage of a toy hauler if you travel with a bike, like this. It looks easier to manage than getting it into the bed of your truck. Congrats!!
    Steeler who? LOL. 

Panthers were a disappointment this year.

At least Clemson won (finally) in the college arena!! Gotta love a team that has big orange tiger paws on every major road that leads to the university so they can find their way home after an away game ;)
  • Options
    SCORE!!! :smiley: One for moi for going off-topic on my own post :triumph:
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ratkity, First of all, congrats, and looks like it fits the bill you were searching for. Second, really, did you think we weren't expecting you to highjack your own post? :o Third, and certainly not last, 'ya should probably keep both eyes on yer favorite misfits. =) Yes PXL, you too! :D Keep us posted on the mad scientist adventures, or just stop by & chat once in a while!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    edited January 2017
    ericnliz said:
    Ratkity, First of all, congrats, and looks like it fits the bill you were searching for. Second, really, did you think we weren't expecting you to highjack your own post? :o Third, and certainly not last, 'ya should probably keep both eyes on yer favorite misfits. =) Yes PXL, you too! :D Keep us posted on the mad scientist adventures, or just stop by & chat once in a while!
    No, no nononono....  none of this "stopping by" stuff. V can only do so much with her wand. What she can't do with her wand, I can do with my broom (or is that VROOOOOM!?). I ain't going nowhere. :)

Dang, edit again - Ain't going nowhere, 'cept camping!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Congrats - Bikers need something like that. Hope it all works out for ya!
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Is "Ratkitied" the past tense verb  ;) ?
    Congrats on the move!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Congrats! Did it come equipped with pink flamingo skivvies?
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Congrats! Did it come equipped with pink flamingo skivvies?
    Ack! No! If you've been acutely paying attention, I've never said anything about my hatred for pink flamingos. It was more fun to rib PXL. If I ever get to camp anywhere near PXL, I might find myself driving down the highway (unbeknownst to me) with pink bunny or flamingo skivvies flying in the breeze from the permanently mounted roof antenna lol.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I would probably count on that one[at the least!] Ratkity. At any rate, have fun!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    oooooooo this looks cool! Hope you have safe travels and many fun adventures! :smiley:
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited January 2017
    Yep - Watch your back... Paybacks are hell :-)
  • Options
    ^^^^^ EEEEEP! Or should I say BEEP-BEEP! and do a Roadrunner VROOM!