Options

Norcold Fridge Noises

Has anyone encountered slight clicking sounds coming from the Norcold 3-way fridge?    They are most noticeable in the dead of night while sleeping.   Typically it's not the kind of noise that awakens you, but can certainly keep one from getting back to sleep, once you are awake.    They seem to last for several minutes and clicks are not always the same distance apart.    After several minutes of clicking, there is a period of no clicking sounds, and if I am lucky, I drift back to sleep.   I assume this has something to do with the fridge maintaining the proper temperature.   I should say I noticed this noise while being plugged into shore power, most recently a 30 amp connection in a national park.  Is this normal?   Is there a way to eliminate this noise?
2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Is it rapid clicking are several seconds apart? If it is rapid, that is the sound made while the fridge is trying ignite when set to propane. If you are 100% sure that the fridge was set to shore power and not inadvertently set to propane you might have an issue.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    The clicking is not rapid but several seconds apart and not always with the same frequency.   And I am sure I was not only connected to shore power but the electricity button for the fridge was pushed in.
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Sounds odd. Is it possibly related to the fan on the fridge?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    It doesn't seem to be that kind of noise.   I looked in the Norcold manual that came with my T@B and I didn't see anything about this particular phenomenon mentioned.    If other T@BBers have experienced this, and it is somewhat normal, I guess I'll live with it.   If it isn't normal, what then?
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Hi, TABalong -- I was camping last weekend and I didn't notice any clicking with my 3-way Norcold hooked up to shore power.  I do, however, turn my temp control down to about "2" when I go to sleep so the fan doesn't come on.  The food still stays nice and cold.  Was it windy at all, did you notice?  Could it be noise related to wind sounds coming through that vent in the floor located in the tiny storage closet under the fridge?      :(
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    I appreciate all the efforts to track down the source of this clicking noise but so far none of the suggestions duplicate my issue or seem to be the cause of it.  I did contact Norcold today and they were not aware of this issue but recommended that I take it to an authorized service center to have it looked at.   That's my next step.
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Norm, let us know what you find out after taking it for service.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Here are some possible leads (the first guy suggests a possibly bad circuit board)  in helping to solve your problem:  

This is a relay opening up and closing. It can be the board or you may have a problem with the heating element if you are running this on AC mode. That model has an active recall so be sure that has been done. It included a new control board. If that has been done then your option is to get one from Dinosaur Electronics. They are far superior to the OEM board. Also be sure that the input voltage on both the AC and DC sources are within specs. A multimeter is needed for that. Go HERE for the Norcold Service Manual.  

If it were me I would pull the Norcold unit out away from the wall and leave it plugged in to shore power at your home, maybe sleep in the trailer to see when the noise starts, etc.  It could be the voltage source previously plugged into (maybe there was an issue with that source?) was faulty (a bad ground on their end, etc.).   I would also run it on 12 volts DC and see if you can replicate the problem.  By pulling it away from the wall this will give you access to the entire unit to find out exactly where the noise originates from and possibly get closer to the issue.  

Keep us posted!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions.   It seems like the best prospect for tracking this down is in a couple of weeks when I take my T@B back to Pleasant Valley in Sugarcreek for some other unrelated repairs.  I suspect it will turn out to be either normal fridge noises, like a household fridge makes, or something that isn't normal and needs to be either repaired or replaced.  
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    We have a 2 way Norcold (because we have a CS-S).  I get the inside berth, so my head is by the fridge.

I don't hear clicking, but I do hear the fan kick in occasionally, short duration.   I also hear a lot of gurgle/sigh sorts of noises, of much longer duration, coming from the fridge area.  These are actually pretty annoying.  The Alde is powered off.  And ideas?

PS - No dog under the bed making the noises.  :-)
    2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
    Camping under the Big Sky
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Sure it's not referred noise from your stomach? LOL. No clue here about the 2-way frigs.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)