Options

Blowout compressor

Just curious to know what make/model compressor you all use to blow out your water lines? I'm planning on taking R@nger out in a few days so will need to de-winterize. In Alabama, temps fluctuate wildly this time of year so it is quite possible that I will have to winterize again and I will use the blowout method instead of antifreeze. I know some of you even use a bicycle pump. How do you connect to the blowout plug? I will have to do this by myself.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I use a portable tire pump (cigarette lighter plug for power) Got at Walmart. Have a blowout plug (also Walmart) with tire threads so compressor just screws on. Screw the plug into the fresh water port, screw in plug, attach compressor and away you go.
  • Options
    The nice thing about a simple 12v tire inflator is you can carry it with you in case you have a low tire or as I did the first year, blew it out when I hit cold weather on the road as needed.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    I use a portable tire pump (cigarette lighter plug for power) Got at Walmart. Have a blowout plug (also Walmart) with tire threads so compressor just screws on. Screw the plug into the fresh water port, screw in plug, attach compressor and away you go.

I have a portable Vair for the road and then 6 gallon Bostitch compressor for at home. The bigger one is great because it fills tires and blows out the lines much faster than the portable.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Yes but I want to see you lug that around with ya and do blowouts enroute :-)
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I use a 3 gallon pancake compressor I got at Harbor Freight at home.  I have a small portable 12V as well for the road, but have never needed to winterized on the road.

To dewinterize I just flush they system with fresh water, sanitize it, and then flush again.  It is best to do that at a place where you have city water and can open up your gray tank.  The compressor is not needed for that operation.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    edited February 2017

By "sanitize", do you mean adding some type of bleach solution or something else?

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    dmerzbac said:
    Cyclonic said:
    I use a 3 gallon pancake compressor I got at Harbor Freight at home.  I have a small portable 12V as well for the road, but have never needed to winterized on the road.

To dewinterize I just flush they system with fresh water, sanitize it, and then flush again.  It is best to do that at a place where you have city water and can open up your gray tank.  The compressor is not needed for that operation.

By "sanitize", do you mean adding some type of bleach solution or something else?
    Yes.  There are lots of videos out there on the process, but it is pretty simple for the T@B. 

A diluted bleach solution is used (it takes very little bleach, ¼ cup to every 15 gallons of water), poured into the fresh water tank.  Use the water pump to pressurize the system, opening each valve (sink, shower) until you smell the bleach.

Once pressurized I usually drive it around the block a few times to also mix it up in the fresh water tank.  Let it sit for ½ hour, then drain and flush it.

It should be done once a season, usually as part of the dewinterization process.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    I found that just about any bleach you buy from a grocery store is concentrated, like 33% or more.  So technically, you can use a little less.

But honestly, the extra concentration is probably not enough to do any damage, so I just use it stronger and give it a really good rinse to get rid of it all.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    JanetEDJanetED Member Posts: 12
    I have a Viair 90P portable compressor and a blowout plug with a Schrader valve to fit compressor.  Do I need some kind of pressure regulator also?  Sorry, I am so new at this and an reading but sometimes it is hard for me to put it all together.  I will be traveling and might need to winterize at a dry campsite.  (Making first trip in 2017 Outback next week).  Thank you all so much for all the valuable knowledge

Janet
    2017 T@B Outback
    Tehachapi, CA
    Janet
    2017 T@B Outback
    TV 2012 Nissan Frontier
    Tehachapi, CA
  • Options
    edited April 2017

JanetED said:

I have a Viair 90P portable compressor and a blowout plug with a Schrader valve to fit compressor.  Do I need some kind of pressure regulator also?  Sorry, I am so new at this and an reading but sometimes it is hard for me to put it all together.  I will be traveling and might need to winterize at a dry campsite.  (Making first trip in 2017 Outback next week).  Thank you all so much for all the valuable knowledge

Janet
    2017 T@B Outback
    Tehachapi, CA

Yes, you want to make sure that you do t exceed 50 psi. You can use the same regulator you use for your hose for city water, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927
    Keep in mind you are trying to cause airflow to push and drag water in low spots up and out to a drain.  Pressure is not the key to success.  There is no need to pressurize the system.  A faucet or drain should always be open somewhere when applying air pressure to the system. Air flow volume is what is needed to clear trapped slugs of water and keep them moving toward an outlet.
    It is my experience that the small 12V tankless compressors for tire inflation do not produce enough flow to "blow out" much of anything.  They are capable of making high pressure but , very slowly.
    I would be inclined to try an air mattress inflater or the output of a shop vac if I didn't have a large enough air compressor.
    SUNT@B's simple system just drains when I open a valve on the bottom so I have no experience with the LG T@B plumbing systems.  I do have a seasonal cabin with plumbing that has to be winterized.

• Options
    I have successfully used a similar compressor. 

• Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    edited April 2017
    I installed a Viair onboard compressor with 2 gallon tank underneath my tow vehicle just forward of the hitch. Handy for all compressed air needs. 

Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    I use the small Harbor freight pancake.  I do know that you should use a compressor that is the oil less type.  Some of the larger compressors that use oil in the compressor can actually leave oil in the air and this can contaminate your fresh water system.  Most body shops and machine shops keep oil and water separators in line to trap the residual oil or water that occurs when air is compressed.  Just a thought!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited April 2017
    I use the adapter that allows a standard air compressor to connect to the water inlet.

It has a built in restrictor (not regulator) that slows the volume of incoming air down to almost a trickle.  Using the alde's 2 gallon tank volume as an air buffer, I let it bring the entire system to 50 psi (takes about 20 seconds), then proceed to open each valve to blow out all the water.  I'll do this cycle 3-4 times, or until all I get is hissing air.  Done!

My compressor has a regulator that I set to 50 for this procedure.

This method also works great with one of those 12v auto or bike tire pumps and the appropriate fitting.  Just takes a lot longer to wait for the system to reach 50 pounds.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    I just blew the lines out with a $3 adapter and a bicycle pump.  It worked amazingly well.

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!