Options

Recommendations on Spare Tire bracket for Mounting on Tongue

2»

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    This must be the third or fourth thread on tire mounting with pics :-)
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    PXLated said:
    Must be a very popular and serious topic.  May we we should a contest for the best and safetest contest.  I vote for ScottG's
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    There's 32 comments in this thread alone and it always comes down to
    1) Mount sideways to the tongue frame using one of 2-3 mounts
    2) Mount sideways behind the tongue jack using 1-2 mounts and U-Bolts
    3) Haul in TV (been a couple storing it. under the seat in the T@B
    4) Would be specific to Outbacks and their rack

Wash/Rinse/Repeat :-)
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    PXLated said:
    It would be a FT job to merge all the duplicate and similar threads here.
    I bet most users simply post without searching or search but don't find what they are looking for. ;)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    Unfortunately, the search capabilities leave a bit to be desired sometimes.  And, the thread has diverged from my original question.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    Laurrey - How has it diverged? Seems 95% on topic with recommendations, pics and links.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Laurrey - How has it diverged? Seems 95% on topic with recommendations, pics and links.
    I was only asking about what specific hardware people liked and if anyone had one they would avoid.  I wasn't intending to open yet another thread on where to mount the tire. :)

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    Does anyone know the mounting hardware ScottG uses?  Still believe that is the best solution.
  • Options
    LauraRay - Yes but you didn't mention in your opening which method of tongue mounting you intended to use - Different hardware for different methods in some cases - Hence, recommendations for all and a new thread :-)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    Playc said:
    Hi ScottG - Like your approach.  Does it interfere with the Protane box?  Would you please post a link for the mounting hardware?  Thanks.
    Hi Playc. Scroll up in this thread and see my response to redd on Feb. 4.

For those  just tuning in to this topic, I should note that there is nothing special about the mounting bracket--it's the same type described by others, and is designed to mount on any square trailer frame member. Replacing the stock parts with the U-bolts allows it to clamp to the jack post. Since the weight of the tire is carried primarily in the trailer frame, there is very little stress on the jack post itself.

Several inches remain between the mounted tire and the propane box, so there is no interference there.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks ScottG, my bad - should have read more carefully .   Will go ahead and order from Amazon the part today . 
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited February 2017
    @ScottG, it's a *special* mounting bracket cuz it's on *your* T@B - all T@Bs are special!!... geeeeesh. I had to spell it out for ya. :wink:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    With over 3000 threads and counting, I agree that slogging and searching are pretty tedious ways to get answers. Hard to blame a newcomer for jumping on the fast track.

It's a camper, not a rocket ship. If we didn't rehash some of these topics we'd run out of stuff to talk about!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    Several inches remain between the mounted tire and the propane box, so there is no interference there.
    Does that mean there is enough wiggle room to mount/remove the wheel without loosening the U-bolts? 
    From the photo it appears it may be a two-step process (mount bracket to wheel then wheel with bracket to post).
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Hmmm, I've never actually taken the spare off, but I'm pretty sure I put it on with the bracket in place. Should work the same in reverse.

Regardless, if I'm in a situation where I'm forced to change a flat on the trailer, loosening the U-bolts would be the least of my concerns.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Not blaming anyone ScottG - But maybe we could help by pointing to already existing threads instead of adding the same-o same-o to a new one. 
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Naw PXL, how can I derail a thread if you categorize and make them totally searchable?? Geeeeesh. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Not blaming anyone ScottG - But maybe we could help by pointing to already existing threads instead of adding the same-o same-o to a new one. 
    I agree with you there, and try to do that myself most of the time. However--and we are back to that slogging and searching thing--sometimes it takes me longer to find an old post than to just answer the question again.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG - Dat be true. Unfortunately. Still think it'd be better if we all helped by searching (and/or reviewing our bookmarks) and linking to existing threads.
  • Options
    Is merge threads an option? Granted that would be another FT job but it would nix the problem as soon as it occurs.
  • Options
    There is a merge - Have never done it myself. But, if a different thread is identified in a dupe thread, deleting would work as there really wouldn't be anything in the new thread other than a link.
  • Options
    DeacDeac Member Posts: 14
    LauraRey , what new tow vehicle did you get?    How's the mpg and distance between fillups while towing?
    Deac Lancaster
    Sunnyvale, CA
  • Options
    Deac said:
    LauraRey , what new tow vehicle did you get?    How's the mpg and distance between fillups while towing?
    2014 Honda Ridgeline truck.    I just got the electric brake controller installed Tuesday, so hopefully I'll hook it up this weekend and take it for a tow.  I'll let you know if I do.  The mpg is running between 18-20 not towing (if I did the conversion from l/100km correctly)