Options

Tow Specs Help... Ford Escape SE 2014

marilyncpmarilyncp Member Posts: 117
edited February 2017 in Trailer & Towing
Hi All,

I pulled my tech specs from my VIN number and I am hoping I read this correctly.  Could someone let me know if I do have the 2.0L engine that will tow 3500#.  I purchased a new T@B Max which I get in March :-)   The confusion is for me is under Maximum Trailering Capacity shows both 3500, 2000 lbs... 2000.0 min 3500.0 max.  Does that mean 3500#?   And does Displacement 2.0L mean I have the larger engine?  I just want to make sure I have enough towing to pull my new T@B!!

Thanks in advance! Marilyn

Tech Specs

Vehicle Name 
Ford Escape    
Body Style
Sport Utility    
Drivetrain
Front Wheel Drive    

Base Curb Weight
3592  lbs  3502.0 min 3592.0 max
Fuel Economy Est-Combined
25, 26  MPG  25.0 min 26.0 max
EPA Fuel Economy Est - City
22, 23  MPG  22.0 min 23.0 max
EPA Fuel Economy Est - Hwy
30, 32  MPG  30.0 min 32.0 max
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.
3500, 2000  lbs  2000.0 min 3500.0 max
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt.
350, 200  lbs  200.0 min 350.0 max
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt.
350, 200  lbs  200.0 min 350.0 max
Maximum Trailering Capacity

Engine Order Code
999    999.0 min 999.0 max
Engine Type
Intercooled Turbo Regular Unleaded I-4    
Displacement
2.0 L/122    
Fuel System
Gasoline Direct Injection    
SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM
231 @ 5500    
SAE Net Torque @ RPM
270 @ 3000  

M@rilyn
Previous 2017 T@B S owner... c'est l@ vie
But still passionate about the brand!

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yikes! That is confusing!

You might look on your driver's door jamb for the specifics for your vehicle.

It might be more specific to your vehicle.

Just a thought.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I have that too... Not much help and I couldn't figure it out here either...

M@rilyn

• Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Did your Escape come with the factory tow package? It looks like under displacement that you do have the 2.0. I think to tow the 3500# you need the tow package. I would also call your local Ford dealer and ask them.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Try looking under the hood. The engine size/type should be indicated on a sticker. Once you are sure of your engine, your owner's manual should give you towing capacity and other performance specs.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks, guys... no tow package was included when I bought it, so I assumed (BAD) that it was a 1.6L, not a 2.0L.  Since then I added a tow package (no brake/transmission cooler) for my T@G.  I think (I hope), that is all I'll need to do is to add the brake controller and maybe a transmission cooler too...
    M@rilyn

• Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    marilyncp said:
    Thanks, guys... no tow package was included when I bought it, so I assumed (BAD) that it was a 1.6L, not a 2.0L.  Since then I added a tow package (no brake/transmission cooler) for my T@G.  I think (I hope), that is all I'll need to do is to add the brake controller and maybe a transmission cooler too...

My '13 Escape came with a tow package, but I think all it includes is the hitch and an electronic sway control. It did not include a transmission cooler that I know of. You definitely need the brake controller for the electric brakes and the 7-pin plug.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    The factory tow  package includes electronic sway control.  I think they added oil coolers in later year, but no difference in the 2014. You are under the tow limit for the T@B at 2,000 pounds if you have aftermarket towing capability.  If factory installed, they add electronic sway control and you are good up to 3,500 pounds.

In either case, the 2.0 ecoboost has sufficient power -- 240 hp and 270 lb-ft torque. Plenty for towing a T@B.  

The only issue is the sway control.   if you have aftermarket hitch, your vehicle is limited to 2,000 pounds, sufficient to pull a T@B without any issues.  From a power perspective you are fine (assuming that the aftermarket hitch is rated for capacity).

• Options
    mash2 said:
    The factory tow  package includes electronic sway control.  I think they added oil coolers in later year, but no difference in the 2014. You are under the tow limit for the T@B at 2,000 pounds if you have aftermarket towing capability.  If factory installed, they add electronic sway control and you are good up to 3,500 pounds.

In either case, the 2.0 ecoboost has sufficient power -- 240 hp and 270 lb-ft torque. Plenty for towing a T@B.  

The only issue is the sway control.   if you have aftermarket hitch, your vehicle is limited to 2,000 pounds, sufficient to pull a T@B without any issues.  From a power perspective you are fine (assuming that the aftermarket hitch is rated for capacity).

That is new to me about the sway controller... all the towing specs online for Ford only talk about the engine size. Thanks 
    M@rilyn

• Options
    MudsharkMudshark Member Posts: 21
    All Ford Escapes have a trans cooler as standard equipment.
    2016 T@b M@x CS-S White with black trim. 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4. White Lake Mi.
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    The electronic sway control comes with the tow package.The rating without the tow package is still 3500 lbs with the 2 L motor.There is only one 2 L motor and that is the turbo ecoboost. Even if your escape is a front wheel drive model, it still has a 3500 lb capacity if it has the 2 L.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    Thanks peeps!  I spoke to the Ford dealer today and they confirmed I would have no problems towing the T@B

I really appreciate all of your help, thanks guys! 
    M@rilyn

• Options
    MwambaMwamba Member Posts: 22
    Hi everyone,  my husband and I are in the process of buying a 2015 T@B S model.  It's in PA and we live in NY, therefore we don't want any surprises when we go to pick it up!  We also have a 2014 Ford Escape Eco boost 2L.  I am told by the salesman and someone I spoke with at the T@B manufacturer that we DO NOT need the brake controller...  I am told in PA the tow weight without it is 3000 lbs but varies state by state.  UHaul says it's 2000lb limit without a brake control.  My 32 year experienced mechanic is not familiar with electric brakes without a brake control.    Please advise!  TIA !
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    It does vary state by state, but the consensus to CYB is to use a brake controller.  Unless you have an earlier model with hydraulic brakes, you need a controller.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    edited June 2017
    Mwamba said:
    Hi everyone,  my husband and I are in the process of buying a 2015 T@B S model.  It's in PA and we live in NY, therefore we don't want any surprises when we go to pick it up!  We also have a 2014 Ford Escape Eco boost 2L.  I am told by the salesman and someone I spoke with at the T@B manufacturer that we DO NOT need the brake controller...  I am told in PA the tow weight without it is 3000 lbs but varies state by state.  UHaul says it's 2000lb limit without a brake control.  My 32 year experienced mechanic is not familiar with electric brakes without a brake control.    Please advise!  TIA !
    Does the 2015 T@b have hydraulic surge brakes? If it has electric brakes, you definitely need a brake controller.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    As I recall, NY has one of the most stringent requirements for having electric brakes. I believe any trailer over 1,000 lbs must have brakes. Therefore, your 2015 T@B must have the brakes connected.  

Please Google your New York State laws regarding brakes on trailers. Please do not rely on your salesman who makes a commission on each sales nor whoever else told you not to connect them. Your T@B will weigh in excess of 2,000 lbs when loaded with battery, propane, food, clothing, etc. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
     EVERYONE with the electronic brake axle should be using a BRAKR CONTROLLER. Can you pull your T@B without it? Sure, is it safe, wise or recommended? Why wouldnt you install a controller in your tow vehicle for a safer journey? Just dont follow me down the curvy road on the mountain or in heavy higher speed traffic :)
  • Options
    Thank you all very much!!   Those using them would know the best!  We don't want any worries about being safe.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited June 2017
    Mwamba said:
    Hi everyone,  my husband and I are in the process of buying a 2015 T@B S model.  It's in PA and we live in NY, therefore we don't want any surprises when we go to pick it up!  We also have a 2014 Ford Escape Eco boost 2L. 

If your Escape model includes the 3500 lb tow package you could certainly pick up the T@B without a brake controller. You'll need a 7-way RV blade to 4-way wiring adapter for the lights to work.
    Just remember there's 2000 lbs of rolling weight bearing down on your vehicle in a stop. The Ford will handle it fine, but not in the same fashion as with a brake controller.  

Eventually you'll be camping in the mountains or traveling scenic byways with long descents. Or just need to slam the brakes on in the rain. That's when you'll appreciate the brake controller. Better safe than sorry. ;)

BTW: When you do add the brake controller remember to test it as a trip checklist item.

NY DMV: "Trailers weighing over 1,000 pounds unladen, and trailers having a maximum gross weight in excess of 3000 pounds, must be equipped with brakes."

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I had a barely adequate 5 speed manual tiny truck that pulled my popup (camper newbie - oblivious). The dealer DID put a brake controller in the truck. 

Same deal... started to rain and the oil/rain mix makes the road slick. There he was, a little red truck barreling up behind me and cutting in and out of heavy traffic on I-10 (Katy Fwy) outside of Houston. See "Construction" caution sign ahead. Yup... he did it. He realized he was going 60 mph and everyone else was slowing down to the 30's. He cut right between me and a beautiful old Ford truck (the big solid ones from the 70s). I believe the popup's brakes slowed me down faster than my truck brakes. I totally believe in brake controllers and for larger trailers, sway and weight distribution hitches.

And now, the end of the story.....
    I swerved into probably the only grass median on that hwy and slid up the wet grass past the accident. The poor Ford truck had its bed smushed in a little bit and lost its 50 lb bumper (driver was ok, but just bought the truck that day). I know it was 50 lb bumper because I had to pull it out of the road so cars could get by.

The little red Mazda truck that caused the accident was totaled and front end totally mushed in - guy had a knee injury and bumps and bruises (days before air bags). Other than the red Mazda driver trying to intimidate me with a false lawyer letter, all ended well.  My insurance company caught the fraudulent letter and the fact he had no insurance at all. I even had my $500 deductible paid back. After seeing how the big Ford vs the small Mazda faired in the crash, I decided to get an adequate TV - my beloved 1994 Chevy V8 350 - silver with a blue belly (Dallas Cowboys colors). Grill guard included. I had that truck 13 yrs - still sorta regret selling it. Ah, memories... (fin)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Mwamba said:
    We are New Yorkers. If the trailer you're getting has surge brakes (older T@B) you're good. If it has electric brakes you need a brake controller. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Thank you all again!    Brake controller will be installed tomorrow!    Now can we talk wheel locks or is that another page?