Options

Solar Fixed Panels vs Portable Suitcase Models

I have a 2017 T@B Outback.  Have not actually used it yet but getting ready to leave end of March for 6 weeks or so.  I have been studying different solar options and have some questions I thought I would throw out for comments.
1.  I was looking at putting together a suitcase model using Renogy 100 watt panels.  Looked at Zamp but Renogy looks respected and are of high quality.  One question is has anyone ever had to worry about theft when they have them set out and are not by the trailer.
2.  Also was looking at removing the tire on the back of Outback and either removing the basket or leaving tire and rack in place and placing two 100 watt panels over tire that would also be able to swivel when needed.  Also they could fit better if the tire and basket was removed.  The advantage I can see in permanently mounting them is they are powering batteries all the time not just when you set up camp.  Even when you are driving.  The downside might be that you might be able to get better access to the sun with portable units once camped.
3.  I have also looked at the flexible panels and sticking them to the roof but would be good to hear from someone that has done that.

I am a pretty handy guy and have access to my sons fab and welding shop.
Would appreciate comments from the great members of this forum.  I have followed the forum and find it very valuable.
Thanks, Paul
2017 Outback, TV is now a 2018 Ram Eco Diesel

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    1) Would depend a lot on where you camp but in 2+ years I've only secured my panels a couple times and that was boondocking with no other campers anywhere close and I was going to be gone for hours. Back when I first started, solar wasn't that prevelent but now almost everyone has panels sitting out and virtually all are unsecured.
    2) Yes, the advantage is that they charge while travelling. But, it does limit on exactly where you camp. I prefer tucking into some trees or shade and with my suitcase I can still get solar. Have friends with camper vans with panels on the roof and they always need to park out in the open.

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I installed permanently 3-4 years ago and have been extremely happy with them.  Absolutely no hassles with the setup and, for me, the simplicity of having always on panels has been great.  I face the T@B oriented to the sun and they've worked well.  Most folks prefer non-permanent, but for me, the simplicity of the approach (pull in and they're working....) has been great.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    TCretro, I happen to have the Renogy 100 watt suitcase model with controller, and LOVE it! That being said, I also purchased extender cables with the MC4 connectors as well [20']. I have found the extender cables to be very helpful in places where you have to be a little more selective of the placement of the panels for the best results. Please note that if you plan to use the Zamp plug-in provided with your T@B, that the positive and negative are switched to accommodate the Zamp panels, not a Renogy. I simply purchased an adapter on Amazon that has a two pin on either end that takes care of the reversal. The padded suitcase allows me to store it on the shelf next to the toilet inside when traveling, and the snug fit keeps it from moving around without any issues. As far as theft goes, seems to be an issue of how comfortable you are with where you are camping. I know a few folks here have drilled holes in the frame, and used a cable to secure the panels on various parts of their T@B. The seven pin connector provides battery charging while you are driving, just remember to turn "on" the battery cut-off switch.
    All those things being said, I know Renogy has just come out with some flexible panels that look to be promising. I would suggest going to their web site, get the phone # and call them. If you plan on purchasing the panels, buy directly from Renogy, and ask them for a discount. I saved  over a $100.00 that way as opposed to purchasing from my dealer. Ask to speak with a tech as I have found them to be very friendly, and helpful. let them know what you are going to use the panels for, and ask for advise, and opinion. [Never hurts to have lots of info!] I hope this has helped you, and if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.
    Eric
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I have had both - fixed one and the suitcase. The fixed one demanded no attention and was no hassle. The 100W couldn't keep up with the phantom power needs of the T@B, however - mostly due to its orientation (where I park). Now I have the set up like @ericnliz and PXL. 100W suitcase, extender cables (and locks) and I can tuck myself under trees, but have the panels in the full sun. More effort, but more effective for me in the long run. I also have a back up small generator. My battery is an Interstate Group 27 with 110amp hrs.

Keep in mind that I'm not a boondocker. I frequent State parks, but occasionally go to a National park for a weekend (with no power, except the panels and battery). I'm a weekender and want to do extended trips when things in the family calm down and get the vacation leave I'd need to visit places on the ol' bucket list.

I'd recommend determining what type of camping you will be doing, then calculating your power needs.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TCretroTCretro Member Posts: 33
    mash2 said:
    I installed permanently 3-4 years ago and have been extremely happy with them.  Absolutely no hassles with the setup and, for me, the simplicity of having always on panels has been great.  I face the T@B oriented to the sun and they've worked well.  Most folks prefer non-permanent, but for me, the simplicity of the approach (pull in and they're working....) has been great.

mash2, would you mind sharing the model of trailer you have and where you mounted them.  Much of my camping is done in Michigan in the Upper Penninsula so most of the time when I'm camping I would be in the trees.  I have even thought of mounting a smaller set on the trailer to permanent and getting a smaller portable set up to take advantage of sun.  I would think the always on feature of being permanent would help keep batteries topped off.  Thanks much for your comments.

• Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    TCretro, The one thing you cannot run on solar is the ac. When the temps. Are in the 90's, I prefer to keep my camper in the shade. With the panels permantly mounted on your camper you do not have that option. Non permanent systems give you the opportunity to adjust the position of the panels for the most sun exposure through out the day while your camper stays shaded. Incidently, when I was trying to decide on my system Verna pointed this out to me over lunch, so I went with the suit case panels. Glad I did.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    ericnliz said:
    TCretro, I happen to have the Renogy 100 watt suitcase model with controller, and LOVE it! That being said, I also purchased extender cables with the MC4 connectors as well [20']. I have found the extender cables to be very helpful in places where you have to be a little more selective of the placement of the panels for the best results. Please note that if you plan to use the Zamp plug-in provided with your T@B, that the positive and negative are switched to accommodate the Zamp panels, not a Renogy. I simply purchased an adapter on Amazon that has a two pin on either end that takes care of the reversal. The padded suitcase allows me to store it on the shelf next to the toilet inside when traveling, and the snug fit keeps it from moving around without any issues. As far as theft goes, seems to be an issue of how comfortable you are with where you are camping. I know a few folks here have drilled holes in the frame, and used a cable to secure the panels on various parts of their T@B. The seven pin connector provides battery charging while you are driving, just remember to turn "on" the battery cut-off switch.
    All those things being said, I know Renogy has just come out with some flexible panels that look to be promising. I would suggest going to their web site, get the phone # and call them. If you plan on purchasing the panels, buy directly from Renogy, and ask them for a discount. I saved  over a $100.00 that way as opposed to purchasing from my dealer. Ask to speak with a tech as I have found them to be very friendly, and helpful. let them know what you are going to use the panels for, and ask for advise, and opinion. [Never hurts to have lots of info!] I hope this has helped you, and if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.
    Eric
    ericnliz, Thanks for the comments and the suggestion of dealing directly with the factory.  I am familiar with the zamp connector on the the Outback.  I use several Battery Tender type chargers in my motorcycle restoration hobby, I'm always making sure polarity is correct when switching from one type of charger to another.  One thing I did forget is that the TV is always charging the batteries when driving so the always on feature I was thinking of might not be as important, as I really like the plug and play feature of the portables.  Do you find the 100 watt model can give you several days of camping or do you wish at times you would have more juice.
    Thanks again,
    Paul
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    TCreto, The longest I have gone at one time is 10 days with no issues. 2 of those days were: one, a storm that lasted about 3 and 1/2 hours, and the next day was overcast. Even with it being overcast, taking advantage of being able to move the panels to maximize the effect helped tremendously. We are not energy hogs by any stretch of the imagination. I do run the fan, and the auxiliary fan for the fridge, and the Alde. Lights are used at a minimum, usually right before we retire, and for about an hour tops. Kind of depends, I would say, what your electrical demands, and expectations are, as they seem to vary from situation to situation according to the individuals needs/wants. I believe 12.2 was the lowest reading I had in the morning on the battery monitor, and within about 3 hours charging the following day, the reading would go up to about 12.4 to 12.6. All in all I am extremely happy with the performance of the panels I have for our use. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Might want to be aware of the fact that some TVs don't have a big enough alternator to keep up with the draw of the 3-way fridge when running on battery - in that case, your battery won't be charging while traveling, maintaing at best. - My Jeep's is large enough to actually charge a little even with the fridge in battery mode. That said, if it's not too windy out I run the fridge on propane while enroute. If it's real windy it can blow out the flame so you do need to stop once in awhile a check.
    I like the concept of permanently mounted panels but would never work for me - love tucking back into the trees too much. 
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited February 2017
    Looks like there are several sources for lightweight flexible 100w panels designed for RV use.
    What's missing is a mounting method that allows you to remove the panels from your roof and attach them to a portable frame when desired.
    Then you'd have the best of both worlds -- solar charging when parked in the sun or towing, plus portable orientation when needed at a shaded campsite.
    No need to stow anything other than the portable frame and extension cable.
    Would 3M dual lock work for this purpose? Or channel mounting strips on the roof that the panels slip in/out of and similar slots on the portable frame.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Used the 3M dual lock on my first air conditioner cover - Lasted only until I met the first semi and it was gone. I know some swear by it but it certainly didn't work for me in that application.
    Also tried industrial strength velcro - Didn't work either.
  • Options
    These are all great comments and suggestions.  At this point I think I am going to go the easiest at the moment and go with the portable units.  I now have to decide if I can get by with the 100 watt kit or if I should go with the 200 watt kit.  I was also thinking I could get two batteries in the propane battery tub on the front of the Outback but after checking dimensions a little closer today I don't know if I can get two to fit in the space.  The current battery that is in place is the Interstate HD24-DP Marine RV battery.
    I think I will leave it as is on my first trip to see how everything works with a solar panel kit.  My TV is a 2015 4runner and am not sure what the alternator output is but when traveling I would probably run the fridge on propane most of the time.  Now I have to do another posting to see what most people use for a Antenna while camping for the television.

• Options
    You could split the difference and get 150w if they have it ... I've got the 120 and a group 24 battery. Have lifted someone elses 200 and they are monsters.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    The 200W Zamp suitcase is heavy (45 lbs.).  I'm amazed at how big a difference in charging amps there can be by simply moving the portables a few inches as the sun makes its arc during the day (can't do that with fixed).  I have a Group 27 battery in my Outback tub with plenty of room to upgrade to a larger Group size if needed.  The only reason for the 200W Zamp is my microwave.  Without it, I could easily have gone with a smaller watt unit.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Cooking lessons Frank :-)

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358

PXL - I plan on taking cooking classes when I retire.  Right after taking accordion lessons.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 941
     I just bought a 60w folding panel to supplement the 136w Unisolar panels on my roof for those times when the conditions aren't keeping up with power consumption.   The Unisolars have had me covered in all of our travels for 5 years.  The extra 60w will let me do something to help during those moments when I find myself watching the meters closely as we test our storage capacity.
    So.....
    Fixed & portable!

Have fun!!!