Options

Hot and Cold Water Valve-Drain Switch Positions

I guess this question is for those of you who have recently taken possession of a new T@b Max S. When I picked up my T@b in January, it had the sticker stating that the unit had been winterized. While labeling the different valves and drains today, I noticed that everything was already set in camper season mode. Wouldn't that indicate that the winterizing at the factory had been done using the blowout method? I'm just wondering if any of you experienced the same situation. I haven't dewinterized yet, but will this weekend for camping next week. I would have thought the factory would use antifreeze. Guess I'll find out soon enough.  :-)

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

Comments

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    So, maybe funny story, I picked my camper up in late July when the temperatures were still in the 100s and it had that "Unit has been winterized" sticker on the door. Of course, the dealer had already set everything up including filling the fresh water tank, but I made the assumption that it was winterized as in everything was completely dry and without water of any kind. Technically, I doubt anything could freeze in there if it was completely empty but I might be wrong. I've lived in some pretty cold places. Having said all of that, just because I assumed that's what it meant doesn't mean that's what it means. If you live where it's still cold enough to freeze, I would send Ed or someone else at the factory an e-mail asking him.
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    As far as I've ever heard, yes, they use the blowout method. That's the way mine was - no messy glycol to mess with when I filled everything up.
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Another question.....when I dewinterize this weekend with a Clorox solution, do I need to put the valves in winterize mode to keep the bleach out of the ALDE water tank? Is it okay to have the bleach solution go through the water tank?

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    Pretty sure you need to keep it out - Hmmmmm, been awhile. But the solution is weak and you don't leave it in very long so not sure...Hopefully someone else will pipe up with a more definitive answer.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I'm pretty sure PXL is right about keeping Clorox out of the Alde; something about bleach and stainless steel not playing well together...

When I first got my T@B I decided to sanitize the plumbing. I either ignored or misinterpreted the directions, and ended up making the bleach solution 10 times stronger than it should have been, and I ran it through the Alde. The camper smelled like bleach for a week, but I'm happy to report the Alde still works fine. Maybe it's on borrowed time, but I don't lose (much) sleep over it.

RDWHAHB! 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    From the dewinterize directions in the owner's manual - Mix a bleach solution "1/2 cup of bleach per gallon of water". I'm guessing this means to mix the bleach in a gallon of water, pour it into the tank and then fill the tank up with fresh water. I also guess that it doesn't mean to add a 1/2 cup of bleach of every gallon in the tank - 5 cups would seem a bit too much!  :-)

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Hmm... that phrase in the manual sure is open to interpretation.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I think you are correct, based on past conversations here. The directions are a little unclear, and--now that you mention it--probably what led me astray the first time I sanitized!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Ya, it is - when I did it, I took it to mean the 5 cups if I was going to fill the tank.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ditto here too! Took a while to flush it out, but boy, oh boy was it clean, and sanitized!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Dmerzbac, that's an awful lot of bleach per gallon! Our state health department guidelines for sanitizing solution for commercial kitchens is 1 teaspoon per gallon, down from 1 tablespoon per gallon in the early 90's. I would cut the amount way back. A half cup seems way too strong! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Hmmm.....24 teaspoons in a 1/2 cup, so that would work out to about two teaspoons per gallon in my 11 gallon fresh tank. Does that sound better?

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    I'd be more comfortable with that but it's your call either way. Guess I also didn't understand that you would fill the rest with fresh water to dilute it. That makes a difference. Someday we will bring our T@B home, and someday I can figure it out for myself! :-) Thanks!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @dmerzbac - Don't use a half cup of bleach per gallon. 10% bleach is for sterilizing, not just giving it a good wash and clean. It would take forever to rinse 10% bleach solution out of your water system (by passing the Alde, of course - aluminum and bleach don't mix). Plus, you don't want to bleach yourself when you take a shower if you don't rinse it all out. A teaspoon of bleach per gallon will sanitize just fine. Some people react badly to bleach and it can cause skin and eye irritation if it's not washed out thoroughly and it's heated. Vinegar works as a sanitizer as well. Use apple cider vinegar and you can smell like a salad if you don't rinse it all out! :lol:

You can also get sanitizing solution from RV supply stores (camping world). 

My toy hauler manufacturer did NOT use RV antifreeze in my fresh water tank. Just used the blow-out method for that tank and left the plug out (no valve).  They put the RV antifreeze through the city connection, p-traps and a wee bit in fresh and gray (by-passing the traditional hot water heater). That's all I have to clean out.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    12 teaspoons per 1/4 cup with a 11 gallon fresh water holding tank sound right?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Letsee, isn't that 4 tablespoons per 11 gallon tank? I think that's perfect for a good cleaning. Rinse well!!

One tip. Never leave water in your tank during camping season when your trip is over. The fresh water will quickly get stale in the heat of summer. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Thanks, guys! 1/4 cup for 11 gallons it is! Then a couple of more fresh water refills (no bleach) and that should do it. And I will be sure to drain that fresh water tank. :)

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    And I will be bypassing the Alde water tank also.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al