Options

Zamp 120W or 160W?

I have a T@B CS-S Max with a single Group 24 12V battery.  I'm in the market for a solar panel and am leaning toward the Zamp panels.  In one of the marketing pages, they recommended the 120w as "Best" for a single group 24 battery.  Is there any reason a 160W panel wouldn't work?  
New to this solar charging arena and I don't know if I am missing some important detail.  Want reassurance before I plunk down the money.
Any advice is welcome.
2017 T@B CS-S Max White with Plum Metallic towed by 2019 BMW X3

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Anything will work - 120, 160, 200 - The Zamps are plug and play. I have the std. Group24 and a Zamp-120. I'm full-time and live off solar the vast majorty of the time. I've helped people with their 200s and wouldn't want to haul those heavy buggers out everywhere I camped. Look at the weight and decide what you want to deal with as you camp.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited March 2017
    I love my 200 watt Zamp, even though it does weigh 49 lbs. I've gotten used to the weight. I do have two 6-volt golf cart batteries to store the solar power. 

I decided I wanted to buy a suitcase once for the next dozen years or so, so I bought the largest suitcase that was available. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Finn12Finn12 Member Posts: 22
    Thank you PXLated.  Definitely don't want to haul around the 200W.  The 160 is only a pound or two heavier than the 120 so I thought that might be worth the higher rate.
  • Options
    If the 160 weight sounds manageable, go for it
    Sorry Verna, not into weight lifting every day - The 120s would handle the 2 sixes I believe, just take longer :-)
  • Options
    There is one difference between Verna and me - she tends to stay put for longer periods of time. I do at times but also do a lot of one nighters when I'm out on photo shoots. If I didn't have to deal with the 200s but once every two weeks it might make a difference...Naw, it wouldn't but I might consider the 160s :-)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Finn12 said:
    Thank you PXLated.  Definitely don't want to haul around the 200W.  The 160 is only a pound or two heavier than the 120 so I thought that might be worth the higher rate.

Start by figuring out how much power you will consume and then go from there. It sounds overwhelming, but it is difficult to do more than guess if you don't get a handle on your consumption. I made a spreadsheet to help, that lists the consumption of some of the common items that draw power on the T@b. You can estimate how much you might use it and then you will have a better idea.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ap2jOFwlywQSmI8nuMjdpjt600eynA

You might have a hard time knowing how you will camp until you have been out a few times. Also, you aren't stuck with a panel if it is too much or too little - just sell it and get what you need!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Nice research and spreadsheet Jenn.  I do like my spreadsheets :grin:

I also agree, don't make the investment until you really know how you are camping.  Are you staying put for a period of time in the boonies, or moving along regularly (where your TV would do the recharge duty)?

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    But consumption has more to do with what size battery you need. Solar will charge whatever batteries you have (slower or faster). Even if I had dual 6 volts (so lots of capacity) I personally would not go to bigger/heavier panels.
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    Someday, I would like to go with the 2 6V batteries, but like my 120W suitcase.  Every camper is different.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,451
    Finn12, I felt just like you when I first got the T@B. All I knew was I'd be camping without hookups most of the time, so I needed to do something. Exactly what that was, however, wasn't clear--as others have emphasized, every situation is different. (Case-in-point; I learned a lot about solar from both PXL and jkjenn, and they come at it from opposite ends of the spectrum!)

Ultimately I decided to learn for myself in the most economical manner possible. I started with a relatively cheap and compact 100W suitcase and--since I'd toasted the original anyway--upgraded to a group 27 battery. So far so good. This year I'll probably extend the leads on the suitcase so they can catch a few more rays on shady sites. Baby steps, ya know.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG - Added the extension cable towards the end of my first year - easy thing to make. Lots more flexibiliy. Which brings up another point. For best solar, you reposition your panels 2-3 times a day. Larger/heavier panels make that a little bit more of a hassle. If there's one thing I would change/add it would be going to a Group-27 like you. Not a pressing need but would get me a little amp/hr margin.
    Yep, Jenn and I are on opposite ends - wonder how I manage some days :-)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I have the same set-up as ScottG, only with 15' extender cables. Still have the Group 24 original battery, and has worked fine so far. Agree with PXL about having to move the panels to maximize the effectiveness, but easy to do with the lighter panels. When I get to the point of having to replace the battery, I'm leaning towards 2 six volt golf cart batteries to replace the original with. I'm thinking considerably more amp hours that direction.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    PXLated said:
    But consumption has more to do with what size battery you need. Solar will charge whatever batteries you have (slower or faster). Even if I had dual 6 volts (so lots of capacity) I personally would not go to bigger/heavier panels.
    But...having an idea of battery use can tell you if you need to recharge from half a battery or 75%. If you really don't use power beyond the little used for the L.P. fridge, for exampke, and are mostly looking at weekend camping, you might not need a panel, at all or if you realize that you only need to too off from 85%,  you can get by with a 100w panel.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    driftlessdriftless Member Posts: 135
    I have the zamp 120 and it meets all our needs.  I have found the Renogy is coming out with a 200w panel.
    https://www.renogy.com/renogy-200-watt-eclipse-monocrystalline-solar-suitcase-pre-order/
    Happy Trails,
    Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

• Options
    At midnight, I'm usually sitting at 12.2 - remember, I don't have the media package, my media consumption is thru my Mac and iPad - on a good solar day like today, I'm already (by 10:30am) into float mode. In another hour I'll be charging all my devices thru my inverter. Everything will be fully charged by 1:00. With solar like this, I can also keep the Mac charged while I photo edit all day so it's good to go till bed time. That's with a Group-24 and 120w solar and using a 500w inverter.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    At midnight, I'm usually sitting at 12.2 - remember, I don't have the media package, my media consumption is thru my Mac and iPad - on a good solar day like today, I'm already (by 10:30am) into float mode. In another hour I'll be charging all my devices thru my inverter. Everything will be fully charged by 1:00. With solar like this, I can also keep the Mac charged while I photo edit all day so it's good to go till bed time. That's with a Group-24 and 120w solar and using a 500w inverter.
    You wouldn't be in float that early in W PA, today. :) Sun angle and latitude also factor into the equation.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Jenn - Nope - Not home in MN either :-)
    Here at noon and all devices are now charged also - Mac from 20% to full. Can turn the inverter off.
  • Options
    Finn12Finn12 Member Posts: 22
    Thank you everyone for the insight!  My boyfriend has a Tesla and has a penchant for wanting a faster recharge.  Since we can handle the weight of the 160W, I think we'll go with that.  Hard to know about usage.  Plan to remove 2 way refrigerator (too small) and use our Yeti cooler instead.  The 160W might be overkill but will serve as an entertaining gadget for the boyfriend who loves renewable energy.