Options

Don't plan on de-winterizing anytime, soon!

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
Looks like snow storm after storm lining up OH, PA, the Mid-Atlantic and NE states over the next 10 days. I heard a meteorologist today say that he expects a brief warm up towards the end of the month by that it will get cold, again, and last into early April. 

My apologies for those who don't enjoy the snow. We have been particularly deprived in Western PA, this winter, so, better late than never!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    I don't mind snow, but we have a wind chill right now of -18C (-0.4F).  This, I can totally live without.  I have (or rather had) tulips coming up in my flowerbeds. They are fully 2-3 weeks too early.  My snow drops have almost bloomed and my winter aconite has actually BLOOMED already.  
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    My last winter up north was 27 straight days of -10 or below. That was it, never again :-)
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    edited March 2017
    PXLated said:
    My last winter up north was 27 straight days of -10 or below. That was it, never again :-)
    I hear you.  If I wasn't tied here by work and child's school, I'd be out of here during the winter.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Yeah, I know.  Last week I had thought about doing it too, thinking this one was in the bag. 

Very windy here tonight.  Yesterday we had a high of 74°, today's high of 46° came early this morning, and it has been getting colder since.  We had a little sleet today, but it didn't amount to anything.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    I should add, that 10 day forecast will still not dissuade me from camping next weekend down in Williamsburg, there are coasters to be ridden, and a stein to be filled!

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I could do without the cold. I'm on a rescue mission to bring an abandoned Border Collie back home to Indiana. I winterized the T@B before I left home because of the forecast for cold and snow. I even left the T@B at home and I've been paying for motel rooms (camping is cheaper, but gas is cheaper not towing).  With 45 mph winds Wednesday, I didn't need to be towing my T@B and with the snow forecast, I don't need to tow on snow.

So now instead of 5"-7" of snow, it will be a dusting...but the dusting now extends into Missouri where I am. Grrrr!  Fingers crossed that I get this dog to the shelter tomorrow night. She needs more exercise than I can give her on a tight leash (her adopters forgot to leash train her in the 3 yrs they had her). 

So, do not de-winterize. The forecasts are all over from the extreme to nothing. Be safe rather than be fixing some frozen pipes!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    I could do without the cold. I'm on a rescue mission to bring an abandoned Border Collie back home to Indiana. I winterized the T@B before I left home because of the forecast for cold and snow. I even left the T@B at home and I've been paying for motel rooms (camping is cheaper, but gas is cheaper not towing).  With 45 mph winds Wednesday, I didn't need to be towing my T@B and with the snow forecast, I don't need to tow on snow.

So now instead of 5"-7" of snow, it will be a dusting...but the dusting now extends into Missouri where I am. Grrrr!  Fingers crossed that I get this dog to the shelter tomorrow night. She needs more exercise than I can give her on a tight leash (her adopters forgot to leash train her in the 3 yrs they had her). 

So, do not de-winterize. The forecasts are all over from the extreme to nothing. Be safe rather than be fixing some frozen pipes!
    Weather folks rely, heavily, on weather models, today, and I have been watching the models. They have been all over the place with this Saturday system. It was show 6-8" for Knoxville yesterday and today, barely anything. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    Verna said:
    I could do without the cold. I'm on a rescue mission to bring an abandoned Border Collie back home.... 
    You. Are. Awesome. 

I have had several border collies- one of which was the most incredible search and rescue dog.
    50% of all borders end up being rescued. Way too smart and busy for most folks.
    Kudos!!!
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    Thanks you, Hymie. Rose is 60 lbs  and yes she is busy!  She is so very smart. She learned "no bark" in 4 or 5 small lessons ("no bark" and I touch her nose) and now she no longer barks at the hallway noise of the motels. I couldn't have a Border Collie because of her barking at everything that moves or might move when we stop for gas!  But she's a good girl. The Rescue Shelter is working on getting her a foster-to-adopt home quickly so she doesn't have to be shuffled from person to person. Hopefully we will get back home today. 1600 miles in 4 days is enough.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    Safe travels Verna! Rose is a very lucky girl.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    I see where back home (NH) this morning it's zero with a good NW breeze, wind chill -17.  We're currently in Green Valley, AZ -- below Tucson --  Glad to be missing the cold!! No, not in our T@B which has a new home, but in our short Sprinter Roadtrek. De-winterized in TX on the way down, but now just hoping we won't have to WINTERIZE again before we get back in early April!
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    That Border Collie ( Rose ) just adds to the list of reasons we like Verna! :) They are extremely smart dogs, and very energetic. They need a job, lots of room to run around, or they get bored easy. Glad you are taking her to a better place!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Verna said:
    Thanks you, Hymie. Rose is 60 lbs  and yes she is busy!  She is so very smart. She learned "no bark" in 4 or 5 small lessons ("no bark" and I touch her nose) and now she no longer barks at the hallway noise of the motels. I couldn't have a Border Collie because of her barking at everything that moves or might move when we stop for gas!  But she's a good girl. The Rescue Shelter is working on getting her a foster-to-adopt home quickly so she doesn't have to be shuffled from person to person. Hopefully we will get back home today. 1600 miles in 4 days is enough.  
    If only Shih Tzus could be trained to no bark in 4-5 lessons, lol. We work on it every day. Actually, if I didn't let him sit and look out the wi die, he would barely bark. It's the co stand pedestrian traffic that we are overcoming.

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Verna said:
    If only Shih Tzus could be trained to no bark in 4-5 lessons, lol. We work on it every day. Actually, if I didn't let him sit and look out the wi die, he would barely bark. It's the co stand pedestrian traffic that we are overcoming.
    Sunny Day and my first Shih Tzu, Sunshine, rarely bark. I retired 8 months after I got Sunny, so we're very used to each other 24/7. Sunshine just never barked (if she did, pay attention!), and she taught a Whippet/Terrior mix that she didn't need to bark for attention because the attention was readily given without her asking. 

I'm sitting in my truck taking a break (snowing here in Missouri) and while Sunny is actually asleep, Rose is on guard growling at everyone who is at the pumps and outside their vehicle. I'm not worrying about hiding stuff in my truck-/no one in their right mind would try to get past this dog!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    We are enjoying some warmer weather here in Flagstaff after some back to back storms. It is sunny and in the 60's which is suppose to last awhile. Waiting for the last gasp of winter!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    After a cold spell for a few days, the 60's come back next week.  

And here's what I helped return to the rescue shelter:  Rose, actually an Australian Shepherd (I was wrong on the exact breed, but they do have some common characteristics).   She is 3 years old, full of energy that I couldn't help her get rid of, and a very smart dog. She is safe now, waiting for her forever home :)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Verna, do you work with a rescue group?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SAM said:
    Verna, do you work with a rescue group?
    This is the first time I have worked with this rescue group, Tails and Trails in Greenwood, IN.  They are great people to work with.  

I have rescued two other dogs for myself, one other for my Mother and one other for my sister through two other rescue groups. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Crossing state lines to rescue a dog is going above and beyond I would say!  Dog hero!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Looks like I will be pulling the winter gear out one last time, they are calling for about a foot here in the DC area starting tomorrow night.  Should make things loads of fun.

So, the cover will go back on the T@Bpole this afternoon :tongue:

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    Thank you, Verna, for your efforts in rescueing this dog.  Aussies are a complicated breed.  Much more so than border collies.  I hope she lands in a safe place.
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    Oh, and when she gets down to a safe weight, she may calm down a bit.  Excess protein/calories can create behavior problems in dogs and horses.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Verna said:

:heart:
    Safe travels for you and your canine rescue! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)