Options

Wet weather gear

TTTabTTTab Member Posts: 100
edited March 2017 in Products and Accessories
When I had my sailboat in Bayfield WI on Lake Superior I had Henri Lloyd wet weather gear and boots, of which I lost custody of in the divorce!  If I am going to end up loving on the road full time I cannot be a fair weather camper.  So any suggestions on a waterproof hooded jacket?  I cannot afford Henri Lloyd and gortex just doesn't do it.
2015 T@B M@x S silver and white
tv 2010 Lexus RX350 Matador red  

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Don't know what you consider expensive but - I've got a Marmot gortex outfit - Bought it at REI for about $120
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Henri Lloyd offshore wet weather jacket is about 1000.00 I was shocked.  I just want something that I can go out in a downpour and not get wet.  I have a Marmot gortex jacket that I purchased in CO over the holidays but it doesn't really do in when I am out walking my dog in a downpour!  I love the jacket but remember when we could get the old fashioned yellow vinyl rain slickers like the offshore fishermen had?!!! We even had them as kids and you did not get wet!

• Options
    Does your dog like walking in a downpour? My friends sure don't. They have that look of "are you crazy"? :-) :-)
  • Options
    I live in an apartment now and have to take her out. She is a Tibetan Terrier and loves the snow but hates the rain.  I just want to be able to get outside if I have to and not get wet.  Does your Marmot keep you totally dry?
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    I've got an oversized somewhat aged Helle Hansen rain slicker in green I bought when I worked on a vessel in Alaska once summer. I just checked their website and they have many to choose from, prices ranging from the low $100's to way past what I would ever pay. They are quality gear!   https://shop.hellyhansen.com/en_us/shop/mens/jackets?p=1
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Ya, my Marmont keeps me dry (golfing) but I try not to stay out in a downpour too long :-)
  • Options
    PXLated You must stay in the desert.  Are you sure you are a camper??????
    Homebodyatheart thanks for the suggestion

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    You might checkout motorcycle rain gear, we've used more than one brand to great effect. My most recent jacket is Red Lodge, on sale under $70. Here in PNW, we layer everything, so none were terribly warm, but that didn't matter because you layer to the ambient temps.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Spent my life in MN - Marmont good in cold and snowstorms also...

Now south in winter, north in summer ... No longer golf very often though.
  • Options
    Hope I will not be spending another winter in MN
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I re-waterproofed my LL Bean rain jacket last year and I haven't needed it, since.  =)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Well, I'll admit my raincoat came from Walmart in the fishing/camping section for around $30. It's a Stearns or something like that and it keeps me dry. It replaced another Stearns that lasted over 10 years. No, it's not GoreTex, but after about 2 or 3 years I'll start spraying waterproofing on it a couple of times a year. As long as it keeps me dry, I'm happy.   Oh yeah, it's my favorite color of red ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Jenn - You would have if you'd been following me around :-(
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Although not the most stylish, I have Carhartt rain gear; (yellow jacket and yellow overalls).  I've had them for several years and they keep me dry.  I did not pay a lot of money for them.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    Thanks John  No women's sizes  I appreciate all of the suggestions

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Twojgrams said:
    You might checkout motorcycle rain gear, we've used more than one brand to great effect. My most recent jacket is Red Lodge, on sale under $70. Here in PNW, we layer everything, so none were terribly warm, but that didn't matter because you layer to the ambient temps.
    I second looking at motorcycle rain gear. I have the Harley set - coat and pants (brand loyalty? um... mmaaaaybe).  Going 50 mph, my only issue was that my gloves weren't waterproof and a full-face helmet might have helped the little bit of rain that snuck inside my helmet's face shield *sigh* The rest of me was dry.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited March 2017
    I'm partial to Arcteryx goretex gear.  The face fabric is much better at not wetting out compared to other jackets I've owned (marmot, OR, etc.)   It's pretty ubiquitous here in the PNW,  seems like everyone at the ski areas wear it.   Not cheap though.  
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    i do have warm clothes, after all I'm in MN but not as much rain as PNW
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited March 2017
    Verna said:
    Well, I'll admit my raincoat came from Walmart in the fishing/camping section for around $30. It's a Stearns or something like that and it keeps me dry. It replaced another Stearns that lasted over 10 years. No, it's not GoreTex, but after about 2 or 3 years I'll start spraying waterproofing on it a couple of times a year. As long as it keeps me dry, I'm happy.   Oh yeah, it's my favorite color of red ;)
    Same here Verna, Stearns WalMart rain jacket (and rain pants). I've had mine forever, back from my tent camping days with Scouts. I spray it with Camp Dry about once a year and it has served me well. However, only really use it when absolutely necessary. A rainy day is a perfect time for sitting under the awning and watch the rain come down. Mine happens to be my favorite Blue. (The pants are black).

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Verna said:
    Same here Verna, Stearns WalMart rain jacket (and rain pants). I've had mine forever, back from my tent camping days with Scouts. I spray it with Camp Dry about once a year and it has served me well. However, only really use it when absolutely necessary. A rainy day is a perfect time for sitting under the awning and watch the rain come down. Mine happens to be my favorite Blue. (The pants are black).

I upgraded to the Bean when I started photographing waterfalls.... in the rain. Better conditions, all around, including fewer people to contend with.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sterns is a very well known name in fishing country like MN - Believe they make life vests and stuff also.
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2017
    TTTab said:
    Henri Lloyd offshore wet weather jacket is about 1000.00 I was shocked.  I just want something that I can go out in a downpour and not get wet.  I have a Marmot gortex jacket that I purchased in CO over the holidays but it doesn't really do in when I am out walking my dog in a downpour!  I love the jacket but remember when we could get the old fashioned yellow vinyl rain slickers like the offshore fishermen had?!!! We even had them as kids and you did not get wet!

A $1000 coat better dry me off, towel dry my dog if she's with me, make me some hot soup & warm up some fresh socks after starting a campfire for me! :smiley::lol::lol:
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    Fresh WARM socks... and a blanket that's dryer-warm. :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Frog Gear.....$25.00-$30.00. White Elephant, or General Store, can't recall.  =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    I'm not sold on Frog Togs. I have some camo ones for turkey hunting and it is loud to the wildlife and to me. It's just not comfortable to me. Yes, it keeps me dry, but if it's not comfy, I'll wear it as a last resort.  Of course I can't wear my red Sterns rain coat while turkey hunting!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited March 2017
    Verna, These aren't Frog Toggs, they're called Frog Gear. Comes with hooded coat, and pants. Very breathable, and flexible (not loud). Everything tucks into the hood, and zips up to store. Leap over most puddles with ease....splash....I did say "most" right? :o=)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    PXLated said:
    "Of course I can't wear my red Sterns rain coat while turkey hunting!" <- Attracts too many bulls?
    The turkeys are NOT colorblind. Stealth is important. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options

ericnliz said:
    Verna, These aren't Frog Toggs, they're called Frog Gear. Comes with hooded coat, and pants. Very breathable, and flexible (not loud). Everything tucks into the hood, and zips up to store. Leap over most puddles with ease....splash....I did say "most" right? :o=)
    Oh, thanks, Eric. I do need to look for other rain pants-- hate those Frog Toggs!  My camo raincoat is fine, just not the pants. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    It's ok @TrikePete!! Just search for the coffee thread if you wanna see a LOT of differences of opinions. I love that thread!!! :)