Options

Do you have dual batteries in the Outback proane box or another diamond plate box?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
I am looking to make better use of the front storage so I can move the spare tire back to the tongue. Do you have dual batteries in the Outback propane box or another diamond plate box? If so, would you mind to post a photo or link to a thread where you already posted a photo?

I have been going through a debate between going this route and a roof rack and moving storage to the front still makes more sense than a roof rack. Better gas mileage, less road noise.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    My 2 6V batteries are in a vented box in the driver's side wheel well.  I am not really answering your question but is a different solution.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    My 2 6V batteries are in the Outback propane box.  I don't have a picture handy and my T@B is in storage right now.  I do not have the sewer hose pipe inside; that was removed.  I store my sewer hoses like Verna does; I have the PVC-type sewer storage tube (purchased from Camping World) attached to the front frame. The dealer arranged the batteries side by side so the long portion of the battery is positioned front to back.  The batteries fit fine in the Outback propane box.  I doubt they would fit in the standard box, which is why I had my box upgraded to the Outback box when I bought my T@B.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    jcfaber1 said:
    My 2 6V batteries are in a vented box in the driver's side wheel well.  I am not really answering your question but is a different solution.
    Thanks, I can definitely see the advantage of that route. I am not going to have the time needed to make that type of change. I am not terribly handy, so these things always take me longer.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Jenn, my picture is on the forum in one of the other battery discussions.

My propane tank is in the center front with a battery on either side. The welder cut away just enough of the rear lower cross piece so the battery boxes hang over the rear edge of the "Outback" tub by about 1 1/2" or so. The battety boxes are strapped to clamps using short ratchet straps. I keep my chocks, short 120V extension cords and my remote thermometer in the tub, also. No, the batteries can't fall out--not enough room between the box and the front of the T@B. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited March 2017
    Here's 2 6volts in the standard tub (as far as I can tell) - can't remember where I got it or any details though. I'm not a big fan of the industrial look of the diamond plate tube. Reminds me of construction trucks. Was hoping Nucamp would make a bigger tub for the 400 - oh well...

• Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Mine looks just like that, except the batteries are turned 90 degrees.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. While looking for Verna's, I found Michigan Mike's and that's how he gas his, too. I also saw where @Mr_Mrs_Gnome put the battery box on the Outback platform. Also a good idea.

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited March 2017
    I have the Outback tub and still have room for the sewer hose with both batteries. I let a coil of the hose stick out the back of the tub a bit.  No chance of it going any where.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    db_cooper said:
    I have the Outback tub and still have room for the sewer hose with both batteries. I let a coil of the hose stick out the back of the tub a bit.  No chance of it going any where.
    Thanks @db_cooper . I will have my solar charger in there, too, so that might limit my space. We will have to see after I get everything in there.

• Options
    Pxlated, YOU went with 2 6V batteries?

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    jcfaber1 said:
    Pxlated, YOU went with 2 6V batteries?

I think he just found someone else's photo :)

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PXLated said:
    Here's 2 6volts in the standard tub (as far as I can tell) - can't remember where I got it or any details though. I'm not a big fan of the industrial look of the diamond plate tube. Reminds me of construction trucks. Was hoping Nucamp would make a bigger tub for the 400 - oh well...

That's Cindy's (@cbarnhill)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I thought for a moment he finally became enlightened!

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    Don't need enlightenment, everything works pretty much okey dokey as is - for 2.5 years and counting :-)
  • Options
    Just teasing

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    It's cold, but not that cold :)

• Options
    jc - I know, teasing back :-)
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    FYI, when I installed 2 12V in mine, I just cut out some cardboard to create boxes that were the size of the batteries and moved the two little boxes around to try different fittings.  I ended up angling one of the batteries to fit the space with 12v batteries using this approach.  Since I was creating a new floor for them, they also helped me to layout the final cuts for the base as well.  
  • Options
    mash2 said:
    FYI, when I installed 2 12V in mine, I just cut out some cardboard to create boxes that were the size of the batteries and moved the two little boxes around to try different fittings.  I ended up angling one of the batteries to fit the space with 12v batteries using this approach.  Since I was creating a new floor for them, they also helped me to layout the final cuts for the base as well.  
    Good idea. Certainly much lighter. I Am cheating and letting the factory handle the install while they have it. It will save me a few hours.  =)

I have a week long trip coming up next month and a few other projects to do before I leave for that.