Options

Preventing cold air infiltration?

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
We liberated our T@B from winter storage last Sunday and I'm getting her ready for camping. After a brief warm spell we are back to chilly temps. There is a very noticeable cold draft coming in around the air conditioner. I removed the trim last summer and put foam strips behind it to help keep heat from the A/C out, and it may be helping a bit.

Those of you who camp in cold temps, what is the best way you've found to keep cold air from coming in the A/C opening?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Photomom, I keep the snap on cover on the outside of the grill on the outside of the T@B. Call Elsie at the nuCamp factory and she can help you. 

I did try an inside cover from Bed Bath and Beyond and that was a wasted $10. Even with using Command Strip hooks to hold it in place, the cover allowed a lot of cold air to come in.

In a pinch, Cling and Seal plastic wrap on the outside grill will work through 30 mph winds, but you will lose it during travel. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks, checking the price for that.

Anyone have a really good DIY solution?
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    edited April 2017
    Plexiglas cover held on with J-hooks

2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited April 2017
    Photomom, There were several threads I read a while back about at least two, or three different DIY options for the cover. All where made of different materials, but seemed they all accomplished the goal of keeping it covered well. Can't recall what post they were under right now, maybe someone else can help?
    Search under A/C cover, I found a couple that way.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options

Plexiglas cover held on with J-hooks

What is a j hook? Google turns up a bunch of different looking things. 
  • Options
    @Photomom , Agreed, there are several different types of J-hooks. Not sure which ones @RollingBnB used. Might want to send them a PM and ask to be on the safe side

TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    The Alde control panel (which is in the direct path of the draft) is reading 52 and the thermometer on the other side of the trailer is 68!
  • Options
    Yes, the thermometer gets hit by the cool wind. If you can run to a store, get some of the Press and Seal wrap and it will stay on the outside grill while camping and will effectively block all wind from coming in. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    We're still home, but I did driveway camp last night. I sealed up the outside opening with painters tape temporarily and the Alde panel shot up 5 degrees in 5 minutes! I have the price for the "official" A/C cover and will order one. Seems like a must have item. 
  • Options
    I kept mine on all winter in AZ, but I took it off when I got to south Central TX. I should have put it back on when I headed for the Smokies, but I forgot and it was cold that night!  I put the cover back on when I got home
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Ihttp://www.homedepot.com/s/j-bolt?NCNI-5
    It's actually called a J-bolt. I used a wing nut with a rubber flat washer under the steel washer to seal the hole.

Image result for J hook
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    Thanks for the response @RollingBnB!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I covered the AC vent with a DIY 'cardboard covered in gaffer tape' construction...I'm going to look into a proper cover.  On the inside, I removed the trim around the AC and stuff insulation all around the AC unit.  I had no issues with cold air over the winter...and I have a habit of chillin' in my T@B all the time, so it was never put in storage.  :-)
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    parts@nucamprv.com

I was quoted $24.22 plus shipping.

i don't think I could diy one for that. 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Great mod with the J-bolts and you could make it even simpler with some wing-nuts in place of the nuts threade onto the j-bolt.

Very cool and I like the nuCamp logo on the cover!  2thumbsgif
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    SkiCOSkiCO Member Posts: 18
    I created a vent mod for our Outback.  Most of our camping will be at higher altitudes boondocking so I used the thin decorative diamond plate from HD and some auto/marine weather strip to seal.   Increased the screw length by a 1/4 in. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    That's snazzy!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @SkiCO, Nice touch, fits right in!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    edited March 2019
    Another Approach.
    For Dust or Cold Air Coming in at 320S AC.
    And a Bit Over Done.
    I have used steel sheet metal for a cover.  Since there are already magnets bonded to my AC Vent (for attaching vent deflectors) thought it might be possible to get double duty out of the magnets.  An additional two guide pins and two screws are used to (hopefully) keep the cover in place.
    Have just completed installation and not done any road testing as of 03/02/19.
    PDF file has more details and was updated 03/01/19 with low density foam adjustment and use of screw with wing nut fasteners for finger installation.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    easttntabeasttntab Member Posts: 48
    I do a fair amount of winter camping and I prefer to leave my a/c vent the way it came because if I cover it I'm defeating the purpose of ventilation which would be a problem of condensation.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited November 2019
    @Photomom , for my 2019 T@B 320S, I decided to go with the A/C cover manufactured by Enhanced Performance Systems (San Diego, CA).  I am not sure if it will work on your S Max, but you can always ask EPS.  My primary reasons for purchasing this cover is to keep out the drafts and moisture, whether it be from rain or while washing the camper.

https://www.enhancedperformancesystems.com/

Although I have not yet installed the cover, I have received it and it is really nice.  It is  pricey at $299, but I feel it is worth it and you get what you pay for.  It is high quality and solidly constructed (made in the USA, no less).  The customer service provided by EPS has been outstanding.  For a bit more money, they graciously agreed to have it powder-coated in black at my request.  I believe it will look really sharp on my white with black trim camper.  

Here are some photos of it (uninstalled):

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    ^^ Yes, get this one.  A fairly steep price, but extremely well made and pretty simple to install. Some things you just need to bite the bullet and pay for the best you can get. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    klenger said:
    ^^ Yes, get this one.  A fairly steep price, but extremely well made and pretty simple to install. Some things you just need to bite the bullet and pay for the best you can get. 
    Agree but is this modification/item that important.
    The Enhanced Performance Systems is indeed a nice solution.  It is also a very expensive solution for something that is only an issue once in a while not during every T@B adventure.  If your upcoming adventure might have cold air issues causing interior discomfort, or you have planned 20 miles of dusty gravel road driving - - - then installing a DIY cover is not a big deal.  Most of the time the vent cover is not needed and the EPS solution requires attention every time you wish to use AC.
    And with the EPS price $300 +shipping, a $20 or less DIY solution is fine.  I'll use the extra $280 for something more important.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    My vote... some ice cold beer.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Uh yup, that's why we all choose our own trailer and kit it out the way we want.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Ditto RollingBnB, cost less than $11 with everything purchased at Home Depot.

‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    rcuomo said:
    Ditto RollingBnB, cost less than $11 with everything purchased at Home Depot.

Excellent mod
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited November 2019
    To the naysayers regarding the Enhanced Performance Systems (EPS) cover  (https://www.enhancedperformancesystems.com/), I have now installed it (very easy) and am very pleased with it.  Although the other methods of covering the vent opening work well, I like the look of the EPS cover.  It is cleanly designed and fabricated, provides a nice seal from outside air and moisture, and includes a much stronger screen than that provided by nüCamp.  It is quick and easy to open and closes with a solid and reassuring "click."  As it turned out, nüCamp installed a different cover over my vent opening (larger and with no screws to secure it to the camper.)  It appears that the vent opening was either cut too large, OR they had to use a different cover and cut the opening accordingly.  Regardless, John at EPS (also a T@B owner) provided EXCELLENT customer service and sent me some small brackets specially designed to allow me to install their cover despite the larger vent opening.  All I can say is that I am glad I went this route.  (Greg)

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    rjgorsrjgors Member Posts: 41
    Bayliss said:
    To the naysayers regarding the Enhanced Performance Systems (EPS) cover  (https://www.enhancedperformancesystems.com/), I have now installed it (very easy) and am very pleased with it.  Although the other methods of covering the vent opening work well, I like the clean look of the EPS cover.  It is cleanly designed and fabricated, provides a nice seal from outside air and moisture, and includes a much stronger screen than that provided by nüCamp.  It is quick and easy to open and closes with a solid and reassuring "click."  As it turned out, nüCamp installed a different cover over my vent opening (larger and with no screws to secure it to the camper.)  It appears that the vent opening was either cut too large, OR they had to use a different cover and cut the opening accordingly.  Regardless, John at EPS (also a T@B owner) provided EXCELLENT customer service and sent me some small brackets specially designed to allow me to install their cover despite the larger vent opening.  All I can say is that I am glad I went this route.  (Greg)

I have a 2019 320 S that also has a vent cover with no screws. I’m thinking about making the same purchase in the same color as you. Did you take photos of your install that can be shared? 
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited December 2021
    My DIY cover is shown near the bottom of the following page.  It's based on others in the forum using plastic yard sign board and has six super magnets inside the vent frame & metal washers glued inside the cover..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7520/an-unexpected-visitor-we-needed-a-c-vent-screen-repair/p1
    It's been working great all winter, during washing, and during our first dry camping trip last Oct in the mountains during freezing temps.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods