Trying a new adventure

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
It seems that I never get to camp enough and play enough in the summer.

I subscribe to each of the DNR (Department of Natural Resourses) District FB groups and I saw a request for camp hosts at a primitive State Forest Campground that I am familiar with. So, I thought about it overnight and made the call.

I went through the interview, obviously passed, but still had to have a complete background check run and after 2 1/2 weeks, I received the schedule. 

I'll be roughly working 4 weekends, Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon, plus any holidays, but I can camp there for the entire 4 weeks for free, with electric service. I'd be happy with using the solar panels, but Sunny Day will appreciate the A/C during the hot part of the day. 

The next 4 weeks will be worked by a gentleman camper I haven't met, and then I go back for my next 4 weeks, through mid October. 

So, 2 busy days of cleaning the newer type of pit toilets (round ABS buildings that are ADA compliant plus I think 3 of the old style wooden buildings) restocking TP, cleaning fire pits after the campers leave, picking up trash, answering questions, selling firewood until about 10 pm (those new solar strings of lights will come in handy), helping with registration, and helping employees when needed.

I'll be able to be outside most of the time during the 4 weeks on/4 weeks off and I'm making the most of it!  There is a large lake that a lot of people use for kayaking and kayak fishing, plus other non-motorized boats, too. I foresee a lot of kayak fishing in my future summer plans!

Where else could I have an almost lake front cottage on wheels for free?!
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited April 2017
    Wow V!! A new adventure indeed! I had a friend do that all summer and she met some awesome folks. Unfortunately, she also met some people who needed to learn camping etiquette, but I'm not worried with you and Sunny Day plus that wand! I hope you have time for people stories, like those folks who start off saying "here.. hold mah drink....."
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Verna, Sounds like a good "fit" for you, have fun!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    But, but but! Will you have internet? The forum could flounder without you-or Michigan Mike and the moderators could have a terrible summer keeping up with our constant issues!

That being said-sounds like a close to perfect summer plan! Glorious Fun with a bit of hard work thrown in!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Two bars of 4G service, unlimited data, WiFI across a 100' walk bridge if needed, and hopefully I'll have Direct TV streaming for my NCIS weekly shows!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    @Twojgrams, Are you kidding? She has a fully re-charged magic wand, AND internet access. Somebody has to keep us rabble-rowsers in line! =)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    Sweet!!!
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    This sounds great! I've thought about this since we got our camper and wondered about the details, what's involved and all that. I think it's something I'd br interested in when I retire. please keep us updated with the details. 
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Thanks for doing that Verna.  Although it sounds fun, it is also a very valuable service for all of us who use these facilities.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    @SAM, I've already purchased 5 boxes of nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight, so I think I'm ready to tackle it!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Not the toilet facilities, the camp facilities
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2017
    My campsite will be about 300' from the lake. The first three photos are taken from near the campsite. There are row boats for rent, but I won't have anything to do with that. I can walk across the walking bridge if I need WiFi. The last photo is at the lake looking back. There are three small buildings next to my campsite. One houses a pay phone that actually has dial tone!  The larger of the three used to be a small campstore and my 30 amp electrical service is on the side of it, and the third will house firewood that I can sell from 5 pm (after the office closes) until 10 pm.  My water source is on the water side of the former campstore. I bought two more 25' water hoses, but after looking st that again this week, I think it may take 100' to reach my city water connection. I have water jugs and I can fill them and carry them to the T@B. There is a dump station nearby. Only electric trolling motors are allowed in the lake, and there are lots of kayakers who get exercise by cruising on the lake. It's quiet and peaceful when I've been there, but I've never camped there. 

There are lots of trails to hike, also. One is called the Tecumseh Trail, one that is supposed to go from Florida to Canada. Be ready for some challenging steep hills!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    Looks like a great idea! Hope it turns out to be good fun. Sunny Day will be "boss dog" in no time.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
    @Verna, That looks nice. Maybe before you go for more fresh water hose, a tape measure? On another thought, I just picked up a small battery operated (2 D cell) siphon pump from Walmart. That little sucker (pun intended) will empty a 5 gallon bucket lickety split. As I have a collapsible 5 gallon water container already in my camping gear, that little pump is going in as well. The attached hose for the pump will easily reach the water fill as well. Just an "alternative" thought for you. ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

As long as Sunny Day is not a coyote burrito!  I see a lot of coyote scat, their foot prints, an occasional sighting and the goosebumps on the back with their pre-dawn Howls when in the woods before daylight. There is a confirmed bear that wintered about 100 miles east of this forest, and let's hope he stays over there!  And there are some locals who swear there have been bears and mountain lions in these woods for years. I love watching the deer!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    This sounds amazing!  I do hope you'll keep us informed about your experience.  This would definitely be something I would want to try after Rachel quits camping with me.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
    @ericnliz, I just put my jug of water on a stool on the front tub, run a  short length of clear tubing to the fill opening, and I have water. I'm sure if the hoses don't reach this closest water spigot, there will be one that I can drive close to, run a hose to it and fill up my jugs on the tailgate, saving me lifting the jugs one time. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
     :) 
    Spokane, Wa.

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    Will you be able to make the Nu Camp rally in July?
    We have not totally ruled it out.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    When I applied for the job I said I was unavailable to work the last week of July.  He kept his word and I have that week off!  I'll be in Ohio. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    That sounds amazing Verna! I look forward to your updates!
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ

• Mariner459Mariner459 Member Posts: 146
    We are signed up to do similar "duty" as volunteers for a municipal camping area.  FYI You may receive a taxable income event form because of site and power valuations for these assignments, so I would also track expenses time, mileage, supplies, any uniforms) to be ready to offset. Also highly recommend you take a class on universal precautions to learn how to protect yourself and handle contact with human waste, including possible needle sticks from trash, eye splash protection, etc. And a couple of trash reachers like this: http://m.homedepot.com/p/ArcMate-Standard-Series-32-In-Black-Pick-Up-Tool-32S/203221317?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=s7LMBsL3A|dm_mtid_890338a25189_pcrid_139625601344_pkw__pmt__product_203221317_slid_&gclid=CjwKEAjwz9HHBRDbopLGh-afzB4SJABY52oF5qDO9SMN6g-KZZCA7xvzuEkjJQ9lHbzUmM16IhfljRoCrv3w_wcB
    Thank you, I have it already covered. I have a really good instructor. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Happy for you Verna!
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    You'll be great at this, Verna. The camp looks lov
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Best of luck! Sounds like a nice set up for you!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Hmmm... detour to Indiana to give a camp host a hard time... :D

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
    Yellowwood State Forest, @Cyclonic !  But you have to figure which weeks I'm there!  He didn't set up the weeks as months go, but as an equal amount of weekends on duty (I think). Primitive camping, modern pit toilets, water available, dump station available, hiking, fishing, boating, $13/night. Within a couple of hours (if that long) of Holiday World. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    edited June 2017
    GOOD JOB, SUNNY DAY! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Good luck on your new adventure!  You certainly will meet a lot of new people.  Even though the number of miles traveled will be less, I'm sure there will be many interesting stories to share.  I was thinking,  instead of you traveling to see the world, you will have the world showing up on your doorstop.  Errr, T@b stop... grin
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI