Calling you hacking geniuses!

mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
My neighbor and I had a heck of a time pushing my t@b into his yard (the alleyway is pretty narrow and I wasn't able to back it in while hitched - will try again next time). First issue is that it's gravel, although it's semi hard-packed so not TOO bad. The biggest issue is getting it over his gate threshold. We tried pieces of wood but they moved around too much. So without spending a bunch of money, can anyone think of something to put over this lip (see pic)?  Was thinking a piece of rubber t-threshold but whatever we use has to fit over the metal - that t-threshold stuff is supposed to fit inside a track. Anyway, suggestions appreciated - I'll be taking the trailer in/out of his yard so need to come up with something. 
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    When I had my popup, I'd get a good running start and could do it myself. Of course, the popup didn't have a ceiling to look out for above it and the driveway wasn't sloped.

When moving my Harley, I tried a piece of half inch plywood (cut at an angle at each end), and then had a 6' x 40" wide piece of "non-skid" rubber made for a truck bed. The no skid mat, skidded and I heard the plywood crack. Keep in mind I had 750# of bike on 2 fairly narrow tires and not dispersed over a wide axle. I was thinking about thick (but not too thick) diamond plate next instead of plywood.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707

Ratkity said:

When I had my popup, I'd get a good running start and could do it myself. Of course, the popup didn't have a ceiling to look out for above it and the driveway wasn't sloped.

When moving my Harley, I tried a piece of half inch plywood (cut at an angle at each end), and then had a 6' x 40" wide piece of "non-skid" rubber made for a truck bed. The no skid mat, skidded and I heard the plywood crack. Keep in mind I had 750# of bike on 2 fairly narrow tires and not dispersed over a wide axle. I was thinking about thick (but not too thick) diamond plate next instead of plywood.

The running start didn't help - we tried that a few times! Luckily his contractor drove up as we were trying (plus a neighbor) so we finally got it in. If that dang lip/metal wasn't sticking up, I'm pretty sure just he and I could do it. 

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Can you burry the threshold so it is at ground level? How about using your TV to get the Tab's wheels over the threshold, then unhooking?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Thick rubber mat worked for me
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    I think pieces wood leading up to the metal is a good plan.  A few long gutter nails driven into the soil through the planks should help keep them in position.  Kind of like tent stakes.

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Sand ladders from an off road store..or maybe even a tractor supply store would work. Like these: https://www.amazon.com/CESS-Ladder-Bridging-Recovery-Caravan/dp/B01I5UTZVQ

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    Tongue dolley with dual pnumatic tires. Rolls great in gravel, will clear that lip and easy to manuever.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Newfisher, That's what I have, and use . I keep my T@B next to my garage, and the path is: cement driveway to semi-packed gravel, to road grader blades, the same distance as the T@B tires apart. There is a lip between the concrete and gravel, larger than the one shown in the photo above that @mickietucs posted. Not only different ground surfaces, but also a sharp turn getting it beside the garage without hitting the top of the T@B on the garage roof. Harbor Freight, about $50 $60.00, and worth every penny. ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• SandiegogalSandiegogal Member Posts: 127
    @dsatwork will want to chime in here...he uses a dolly thingy too as he has to get our T@B over a transition from the driveway to the side yard with only 3/4 inch clearance under our eaves!  I. don't. watch! :confounded:

Living in our Airstream, traveling in our 2017 T@B Basic S 
    Married to Dave-aka, ds@work
  • dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    I use this trailer dolly and purchased used for $400. I couldn't get my Tab on the side of my house without it. I have maybe 6" clearance on both sides to get through the gate then I pick up a few more inches as I maneuver two as close to the house as possible so we can get in the door and walk by it sideways. I have a little more than 2" rise that I put 2x12 redwood boards with a vinyl 1 x 5 decking material with a 1" wedge behind it to make a gradual climb. But with this trailer dolly you need traction and lots of tongue weight. You could easily use the PC-1 for this.

Model PC-2 Power Caster  
    $1,275.00
    Designed for medium travel trailers

• 800 lb. tongue capacity
    • 6,500 lb. laden weight capacity
    • 1/2 horsepower electric motor
    800 in.-lbs of torque @ 30 RPM
    (120 volts, 8.3 amps)
    • Weight 77 lbs. (boxed shipping 
      weight approx. 97 lbs.)
    http://powercaster.com/Products.html

3/4" clearance between roof eves and top of Tab.

2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389

dsatwork said:

I use this trailer dolly and purchased used for $400. I couldn't get my Tab on the side of my house without it. I have maybe 6" clearance on both sides to get through the gate then I pick up a few more inches as I maneuver two as close to the house as possible so we can get in the door and walk by it sideways. I have a little more than 2" rise that I put 2x12 redwood boards with a vinyl 1 x 5 decking material with a 1" wedge behind it to make a gradual climb. But with this trailer dolly you need traction and lots of tongue weight. You could easily use the PC-1 for this.

Model PC-2 Power Caster  
    $1,275.00
    Designed for medium travel trailers

• 800 lb. tongue capacity
    • 6,500 lb. laden weight capacity
    • 1/2 horsepower electric motor
    800 in.-lbs of torque @ 30 RPM
    (120 volts, 8.3 amps)
    • Weight 77 lbs. (boxed shipping 
      weight approx. 97 lbs.)
    http://powercaster.com/Products.html

3/4" clearance between roof eves and top of Tab.

That is slick... and no permanent installation on the T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

That is slick... and no permanent installation on the T@b.

This picture is a little deceiving because the first time I used it, I had a ball hitch adapter that the original owner had put together. But that isn't the way it works. The tongue jack slides in where you see the ball hitch so that it is a solid connection. Otherwise it will want to fall over and you constantly have to fight to keep it upright. I did purchase their 2" adapter and bolted it to the frame, because it's just easier to use that way. You jack it up with the tongue jack then slide the dolly on to the adapter then pull the jack up and remove the wheel. Otherwise you would have to set it on jacks and remove the wheel then move it on the dolly. As far as I was concerned it was well worth the expense. I can do it all completely by myself. Even if my back goes out like the last time I was putting the trailer away I thought is would be a good idea to lift up the tongue and put it into one of those yellow jack wheel stops. Which turned out to not be a good idea.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @dsatwork, Wow, I thought I had close quarters!
    @Sandiegogal, It's ok, Liz doesn't watch either when it goes in. I know this because I've asked her how much room I have & she says..."I don't know, I can't watch". :o Oh, boy, should have just asked the neighbor's dog, at least he'd bark when I got close to the fence! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Who gets to install the 30 amp plug?   smilie
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    edited April 2017
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.

What 30 amp plug?

Oh I think I understand....we don't have the AC, so I just use an adapter and plug into a 110 20 amp plug...my leaf is plugged into the 30 amp dryer plug.
  • SandiegogalSandiegogal Member Posts: 127

ericnliz said:

@dsatwork, Wow, I thought I had close quarters!
    @Sandiegogal, It's ok, Liz doesn't watch either when it goes in. I know this because I've asked her how much room I have & she says..."I don't know, I can't watch". :o Oh, boy, should have just asked the neighbor's dog, at least he'd bark when I got close to the fence! =)

I'm with her....eeeekkkkk!!

Living in our Airstream, traveling in our 2017 T@B Basic S 
    Married to Dave-aka, ds@work
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited April 2017
    dsatwork said:

What 30 amp plug?

That was just a bit of playful sarcasm, noting the clearance of the trailer sidewall to your home and wondering how you were able to plug in the trailer via the 30A power cord when distance was minimal and things were so tight.   It definitely looks challenging, but your tow dolly obviously performs well and your neighbors no doubt are impressed too.   Well done!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Thick rubber mat worked for me

Hmmm...this sounds like an inexpensive solution - I'll check out where to get one.

rfuss928 - I hadn't thought of driving nails into the wood - that might also work.

JkJenn - those are also a thought...

The dolly is out of my budget - I like it, but will try some of the other ideas.

Thanks everyone!

edited April 2017

OutbackAZ said:

Can you burry the threshold so it is at ground level? How about using your TV to get the Tab's wheels over the threshold, then unhooking?

I'm in my neighbor's yard so cannot do anything about the "track" where the gate comes across. And it's in an alleyway which is fairly narrow so I wasn't able to stay hitched and back it that far (someone with more experience may be able to) --- I'll try again next time I take it out). But for now I like the rubber mat idea.