What's your opinion of the T@B "mattress?"

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
edited April 2017 in Tips & Tricks
This comes up so often it's peaked my curiosity. How do you sleep in your T@B?
2015 T@B S

What's your opinion of the T@B "mattress?" 82 votes

I sleep like a baby on the stock cushions.
28% 23 votes
The stock cushions are uncomfortable, but I make do. (After all, it is camping.)
12% 10 votes
No way I'm sleeping on those granite slabs. A mattress topper is a must!
59% 49 votes

Comments

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Mattress topper for sure. Bad back & knees seem to "fit" right in the gap of the cushions!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    I tried sleeping on just the cushions a couple of times. Way too hard for me. I went with www.mattressinsider.com and ordered a topper. Much better!

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Really hard to sleep on stock cushions. Not so much the hardness, but the gaps. 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    We had a 1.5" thick mattress topper and it was not enough. Now we are trying an Ikea foam mattress about 3.5" thick on top of the stock cushions. We are not going to set up the table any more, but the mattress still allows the couch back to be folded up so we will have a big couch if we want.Feels comfy but have not slept on it yet.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    I use a big unfolded sleeping bag...kind of like sleeping on a thick comforter.  Softens the cushions just enough and covers the gaps. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    Just went ahead and bought a gel foam 3 inch topper....Before even trying the cushions.  Slept great however the foam topper probably weighs 40 lbs!
  • spkbeamspkbeam Member Posts: 15
    We put down a moving pad. Gives enough love for body and fills gaps. Never had a problem yet. Maybe when cushions break down.
  • marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    I do the same as pthomas. It works great for us and stows easily and compactly. Or just rolls up and stuffs behind the seat if we're not travelling to and from. 
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    I bought two Thermarest Hiker self inflating pads. They are only about an inch thick but seemed comfy when we tried them. I'll know more after my first campout this weekend. I love that they deflate and roll up fairly small and light, about the size of a liter of pop.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I think the poll should differentiate between the old cushions and the new ones. The cushions that they started putting in the 2016 models are a significant upgrade and a lot of people could handle those - my sister-in-law didn't mind them, at all. I prefer the Thermarest, but I am a little like the Princess and the Pea...and this may be the only time I use any analogy comparing me to a princess, ever.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    We have 2 side-by-side (for easy manipulation) 2" natural latex toppers, custom-made. Sleep like a baby! 
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    3 inch gel goam mattress topper. Makes everyone comfy. There are 4 of us. Hubby, boys turn 11 and 12 this summer and me, and I sit upright.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Last year we used our old Thermarests from tent camping. I think they are 1.5" thick. They helped but our sleeping bags would slide off in the night. The first night the T@B was home this spring I slept out there on the cushions without the Thermarest and found them way too hard.

I looked at memory foam mattress toppers but they're expensive and I'd have to cut them up since we use twin beds. If we ended up not liking them (we have never slept on memory foam) we'd be out a bunch of money. Kept shopping and found 3.5" Camp Futons at LLBean. Thermarest clones, and they have nonslip covers. They should arrive today and we'll use them this weekend. If they don't work for us we won't be stuck with them.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    @Photomom, I like the looks of this. Waiting to hear your review.
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    4 in. Memory foam topper, twin size since I sleep side to side. The cushions alone were not that bad but the topper is so much better.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    There is a difference in the cushion density between model years but I am unclear what changes were made.
    There also appears to be a difference in the side couch cushions on our unit.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

There is a difference in the cushion density between model years but I am unclear what changes were made.
    There also appears to be a difference in the side couch cushions on our unit.

Yes, but I'm not sure on the years. My interior is the 2015, with the older type of cushions. I can't remember if the late 2015's had the newer, firmer foam or if that change was made for the 2016 models. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Totally remove the Dutchmen cushions and sleep on 8" of memory foam
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    We are on our maiden voyage and only 2 nights so far on the most current TaB cushions.  We like firm, but we wanted to mask the "seam" sensation and have something I can easily fold up to lay across the rear third of the benchs and supported by the layered bed slats.  So, I came up with this:  took 2 layers of a quilt and secured a flat sheet over it.  It is comfortable, breathes, and does not shift.  I plan to make a defined "quilt pad" and create a duvet sheet system for the top and bottom.  In the morning,  we will fold it up and sandwich the pillows.  For the prototype, I made good use of Gaffer tape and large binder clips!  A nice duvet cover will be welcomed!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Lesley_and_IanLesley_and_Ian Member Posts: 66
    We bought a 2 inch memory foam mattress and it feels great but we cannot get it behind the seat back.  it is too thick to slide behind, very frustrating!!
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Update: after two trips with six nights total I love the Thermarest self inflating pad! They make them in different thicknesses and the thin Hiker works well for me. I also really like that they deflate and roll up small enough to go with all the other bedding and stuff easily under the passenger side rear seat. There is a learning curve to using them. Best advice I got was to loosen the valve, roll it out and ignore it for a good half hour while it slowly inflated itself. If you're in a hurry you can also blow air in. I wanted to avoid a bulky foam topper.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    We started with two twin 3" memory foam toppers, which worked for my husband, but not enough for me, so I added a 4" memory foam topper on my side and now sleep like a baby, except when I forget to bring my pillow. We're buying pillows this weekend that will stay in the T@B.

Gail & John 

• JimEngelJimEngel Member Posts: 45

We tried a topper, but decided to set aside the original cushions and put in a full size six inch thick foam mattress. This eliminates the sit at a table mode, but does not seem to be a problem for us. (We carefully set aside all of the original seats and pads so the unit can be restored to the original configuration for resale.)
    This is what our platform looks like:

• JimEngelJimEngel Member Posts: 45
    This is with the mattress and a fitted sheet installed. Note the holes in the shelf at the back for hot air circulation as the mattress covers the original slot.This is a full size six inch thick foam rubber mattress that fits perfectly without cutting.

• atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Our 400 has the Froli system.  When it came, the springs are set for the max density (all close together)  I have adjusted parts to the softest spacing and we use a full sized fitted slip on foam mattress topper.  Will try it this week and see.  Has not been all that uncomfortable, but has been firm.  We both are lighter body sizes, so the mattress is quite firm. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    We replaced the foam in all of the cushions in our 2014 Max.  The higher-quality foam has made a world of difference!  Much more comfortable sleeping and sitting.
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • campergirlcampergirl Member Posts: 9
    We have a 2008 TL and the cushions are pretty stiff.  we utilize a queen size air mattress on top of the cushions. We put it in place and then put all the sheets/blankets on before inflating.  Magically, it fills the space as we're inflating and the bedding is mostly tucked in with only minor adjustments!  We don't fill the mattress to capacity as we've found that allows for the "memory foam comfy" we have at home. We do carry a double size air mattress as a back-up. 
    2008 T@B TL, white with yellow trim towed by a grey 2010 Ford F150 supercab.
    David & Chris
    Baton Rouge, LA

• DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    @Spruce1... what kind of cushions did you go with?  Do it yourself?  We have the same vintage and the cushions are really soft...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We were both surprised at how comfortable the stock padding was. 
    However, I sprung for a 2" latex topper, only because it makes it easier to make the bed up with sheets and blankets.
    Topper worked out fine, still no complaints!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya