Options

Exterior outlets

Although we thought we thoroughly examined the T@B at the dealer, we are unable to recall seeing exterior electrical outlets. I can't imagine not having any . Secondly, we just learned the TV was 12V. We will not be camping to watch TV, just a good idea for rainy days or weather reports. So...does the T@B battery receive a charge when plugged into shore power? I have too many questions, but would rather know before we receive the vehicle. I think we have a good dealer. Thank you.
Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, shore power charges your battery through your converter, which is where your main circuit breakers and main 12V fuses are. It takes the 110V AC from the shore power and converts it to 12V DC. It's easier to have a 12V TV so that you don't have to switch it from a 110V outlet to a 12V outlet when running it off of battery power only.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    edited October 2014
    Thank you! Better to know all these extra things. Trial and error.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    I forgot--exterior outlets are special order. I'm having a local teardrop builder install one on my Silver Shadow next week in the place of the round water inlet that I no longer need since I removed the sink and water tank. Normally I would install my own, but he is fabricating the round outlet and cover for me, so I'll let him do the whole job plus a couple of other customizations.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I had a 110 volt weatherproof box mounted on the front of my Silver Shadow and this has proved to be a valuable add-on.  I use it for my ARB refrigerator in my tow vehicle, external lights on the canopy and have used it for power tools as well.  You are correct as an external outlet does come in handy and has many uses therein.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Judymac -- I might be mistaken, but I believe the exterior 110V outlets are now standard on the 2015 T@Bs.  I wish I had one.  My T@B is a 2014 S M@xx.   :D
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    My new T@B has two outlets on the door side.
  • Options
    I stand corrected--thanks.  Obviously exterior outlets are standard on the T@B's
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    They just started adding them earlier this year, Verna.  It is really nice to have them, but I have yet to use them!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    That's a great addition and you will find them handy sometime down the road!   Good information to know and am glad the factory is installing them on the T@B units.  
  • Options
    It would be invaluable, I think, to have those external outlets. Ours will be a 2014 T@B S Max. Certainly nice features on the new models, such as outlets, front window, etc. Could not pass up the deal on ours. We plan to use shore power and I noticed some camp sites have a 110 outlet, but I don't expect all do. Will have to wait and see. Thank you.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I thought about plugging my air compressor into one for winterizing but was afraid I would blow a fuse.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I had a crockpot set up outside on a TV tray one time this summer and would have loved to have the outside outlet.  The crockpot gives off a little heat, and I didn't want to heat the T@B up anymore than it was.  Also, it freed up valuable counter space.  As it was, I had to run the cord to the T@B's inside 110V outlet.
  • Options

Beth, sometimes the shore power pedestal has a 110V plug in it.  I used the 110V plug for my Halloween lights two weeks ago when camping., and I also used the other one for my ARB.

Since I having a 110V exterior outlet installed next week, I'll now be able to plug outdoor lights into it, along with the extension cord for the ARB.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Making me jealous

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Apparently several people have added 110v outlets to the outside of their trailers.  Some have put them on the tongue, and some in front of or behind the fenders.  But, I can't find where anyone mentions where they got the power source for the outlet.  Where did you splice/tap into power for the outlet, and how/where did you run the wiring for it?  Also, if you installed it on the body of the trailer, what kind of junction box/fixture did you use?  Thanks.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Larry, my power will come directly from the converter. And, I have a 4" round water inlet that will become the power outlet. I removed the sink and water tank, so this will just be the perfect place for the outlet.

On my 4-wide, I used an external RV outlet with two closing, waterproof lids when I installed that outlet.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Larry, that was my question as well. Thanks Verna for the heads up

• Options

I read on another forum about someone wanting to install outlets on the outside of their trailer (Scamp or Casita) and were advised that outside outlets needed GFCI as well as the weatherproof cover.  I think there is a way to tap into the plug with the GFCI that is already inside the T@B, just run wire from it under the benches to spot where I want the outlet installed. 

I think I have it figured out. Just have to convince myself to cut the hole in the side of the T@B.  It's a one-shot deal to get it right.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    JimboJimbo Member Posts: 118
    I have also been contemplating how to accomplish adding this outside receptacle. I did think of doing just what you said RZBUG, taping into the inside GFI receptacle, but thought about the possibility of mounting the box under the trailer so I only need a whole for the wire through the floor and not have to cut into the outside wall. I know my dealer will do the job just as the factory installation so I am going to see what his charge would be first. Someone mention of mounting the box on the tongue might be a good alternative. 
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options

Well, a slight change in plans.  I went to Lowe's this afternoon and poked around.  Here are my new plans:   I bought a short extension cord (2 1/2 ft.) that has an inline GFCI.  I will plug that into the receptacle that was installed under the bench for the air conditioner.  I also bought a heavy duty extension cord that I will plug into the GFCI extension cord.  I will cut the female end off and route the cord under the benches to the location I want to install the outside receptacle.  I will then strip the end I cut off and wire the receptacle after I cut the hole and mount it.  I know this is not up to house code, but after all it will be the same as running an extension cord to the outside; the plug will just be mounted on the wall.

I had read of others mounting an outlet under the trailer, but I don't want to have to get on my crippled old knees and plug it in.  I'm going to mount it behind the wheel on the door side.  I think that is where it will be most convenient.  And, mounting it on the tongue would require running wire on the outside, at least for a short distance.  Nothing wrong with that, but having it all inside will not require protecting the wire from weather and road hazards.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options

Larry, actually this is the way that I installed 110V wiring in my 4-wide, when I had it.  Just be sure to use the crimp-on spade-tipped connectors on the ends of the stranded wires in the extension cord when you connect it to the electrical outlet.  It's too easy to let one piece of the stranded wire touch the ground or the other hot conductor, and the spade-tipped connector will help keep the conductors together in the right place.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    For what it's worth, I just returned from taking my T@B to Sugarcreek, Ohio for some warranty repairs and while I was there, decided to have them install the exterior 110 outlet.    The cost was a bit less than $60 including labor.   They located the outlet on the door side of the T@B, just behind the wheel.   The power source they used was the interior 110 outlet located near the floor and brought the line through the nearby wheel well.   By the way, my experience at Pleasant Valley Trailers has been nothing but positive.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options

Excellent suggestion, Verna.  Was thinking of solder, but spade connectors will be much simpler.

Good deal, Norm.  If it wasn't so far, would be an excellent solution.  I've already got all my material.  I may tackle it tomorrow if the weather permits.

BTW, does anyone know the wall construction of the T@B?  I know the outside is fiberglass and a layer of some other material behind that, but I don't know what it is.  Also, is there any spacing between these materials, or are the laminated together?  Thanks.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    edited October 2014

Well, I now have an outlet on the outside of my T@B.  Like most of my projects, it was more complicated and took longer than I planned.  The walls of the T@B, plus the wood the bench box is constructed of made it impossible to use the eared clamping junction box, although heaven knows I tried several things to get it to work.  The walls are not suitable to screw the box into, besides doing so would make the box stick out from the wall.

My final solution was to put a 2X4 cross brace on the bench structure inside, attach another piece of 2X4 to the inside of that.  This put a solid piece of wood fairly close the junction box.  I then took a three-inch wood screw and anchored the box to the wood by putting a screw through the middle of the box, backed by a washer to keep the plastic from pulling through.

It looks good from the outside, but I would hate a close inspection from the inside.:D Anyway, I have 110v power on the outside, and that was my goal.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options

Hey, if it works, the connections are tight, there's no fire hazard, then it's OK.  I promise that this woodworker will NOT ask to look at your handy work under the bench inside.  I'll just look at the outlet on the outside, and expect that your hard work made the outlet work.

Congrats on a job well done, Larry.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Cheryl74074Cheryl74074 Member Posts: 71
    We've been in our T@b for 12 weeks of travel since June, and have maybe used the exterior outlet once. What do you all use yours for??
    Cheryl, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, 2015 T@b S Maxx (T@bitha)
  • Options
    Lights, as in Halloween lights.  Plug the ARB into 110V, instead of 12V.  A fan in the summer when sitting outside. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Crockpot.  Don't need to take up counter space or heat up T@B in summer.  Of course, I'm hanging out at the campsite so animals don't steal my dinner.   ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Jimbo said:
    I have also been contemplating how to accomplish adding this outside receptacle. I did think of doing just what you said RZBUG, taping into the inside GFI receptacle, but thought about the possibility of mounting the box under the trailer so I only need a whole for the wire through the floor and not have to cut into the outside wall. I know my dealer will do the job just as the factory installation so I am going to see what his charge would be first. Someone mention of mounting the box on the tongue might be a good alternative. 
    I've done this before when I owned a conversion van....  I mounted an exterior grade, weatherproof receptacle box off to one side of the van (beneath the frame) and screwed it into the frame flush and close enough to just reach up with one hand, open the cover and plug a power cord into it.  Back then I used a male plug receptacle inside the box (purchased from an RV parts store) as this was my means for providing electric into the van, power up my coffee pot, TV, etc.  You could do the same and install a GFI in the box to protect against any issues outside the trailer.  I will probably do something similar in the spring or when I am in Florida and the weather permits.  I do have an outlet on the front underside of my Silver Shadow but am really not happy with the way it looks.  I might end up moving that receptacle to the side of the trailer but will think about it for a while before making a cut in the sidewall as I like a stock look and hate the thought of cutting into the wall.  Hey, these are the things you can putter with when retired and I'll make sure it's done right and looks good too!  LOL  

On the flip side, an under body flush mount box works just as well, you cannot see it and it serves the purpose.  There is always a concern for water splashed up from the road, mud, etc. but I really had no problems with the conversion van and see no reason why the same application won't work as well on a trailer.  

Good luck!  
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Thought I'd run out and take a shot of the new outlet for those that might be interested.  In case you might wonder, the black frame around the outlet is the foam weatherproof gasket that goes behind the outlet to keep out moisture.  There is also a similar gasket behind the spring-loaded cover.  I also put a thin line of caulk around it for the same reason.  To avoid the black outline, you could just put extra caulking around the plate.

As mentioned above, the power source for the outlet is a heavy duty extension cord (rated at 20A I believe) that runs to the spare plug where the air conditioner is plugged in under the benches.  There is also an inline GFCI in the cord.

BTW, I might mention that this is the scariest thing I've done to the T@B, knowing that any mistake would be permanent, but after the initial shock things went fairly well.  Plan everything very well and anticipate each step based on the project and the material you are working with.  Take your time.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map