Options

Exterior outlets

2»

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Nice looking installation Larry, well done!   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    JimboJimbo Member Posts: 118
    Mike thanks for the input. I am still in the "lets think this through" mode. I did think that if I mounted the receptacle box in the curb side of the propane/battery cover that would be handy and could spray paint the cover yellow to match my cover. That should minimise the mud and water exposure, although I would need to mount a backing plate inside the cover. There are of course several other locations on the tongue that would work fine, I want to open the inside receptacle box and take a look at the type of GFI receptacle they used. I have previously wired in several in my shop and should be able to just connect to the receptacle inside the box and not have to use a plug  like Larry did. Although Larry's solution good and quit workable. 

And BTW Larry your installation looks great to me, good job.
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    edited November 2014
    Thanks, guys.  I think I've mentioned this before, but make sure you are disconnected from shore power and the battery is disconnected before starting this kind of electrical work as both supply power that can give you a pretty good tickle.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Thanks for the reminder Larry. Been tickled before and did not care for it. 
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Wish I had your skills!  Very nice. >:D<
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Wandroo, not sure if I have just gotten lazy or my age is catching up to me. But having been a DYI guy I have come to the conclusion that if I can afford it...let a professional do the job. I do still enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of doing it myself but it is now less rewarding so I am going with the story that my age is the cause of my lazyness... yeah that's the ticket!!!
  • Options
    StingSting Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to all who have paved the way on installing an exterior 110 outlet. Like many of you my Tab 320 did not come with one. This is how I did mine. Location is passenger side back bench behind wheel well. 

I used an electrical box called an “old work” box. It has ear tabs that push through the opening and then lock in place as you tighten in. It’s designed to be used on dry wall where there is not stud to anchor it. 

Problem is the tabs will only go into a wall that is about 1.5 inches. Our walls at this location is about 2 inches. So I purchased longer screws for the tabs. 

Out line the box, drill the starter holes (1/2 inch bit), cut the opening (scary) and set the box.

When you tighten the box tabs you will need someone on the inside to hold them in place.

Tie into the existing GFCI as shown in the lower part of the photo (320 Q).

Finished

It was very easy to do but I could not have done it without your help and comments. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    Nice job Sting!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio