Options

Here's a fun idea

ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
Last year we camped for a week with some dear friends. Both my wife, and our friends are hummingbird fanatics! We took along three el-cheepo hummingbird feeders, our friends also had three. We had soooo much fun watching not only the different variety of hummingbirds, but the hummingbird wars that ensued as well. These little birds are extremely territorial. At times it was like watching WWII airplane dog fights. The early morning, late afternoon aerobatics were a blast to watch...free entertainment. Since then, we have tried this in different locations, and you will be pleasantly surprised at the areas these birds have habitat in! ;)
2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
Spokane, Wa.
Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Great idea. Now we have one more thing to store. When we are in AZ for the winter we always hang out the golden finch socks. I've counted as many as 25 at one time.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    @Dalehelman, Side note: Fill 'em with the sugar water AFTER 'ya get to where you're going, and empty 'em before 'ya leave! Liz learned that one from experience! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I had no idea what hummingbirds actually sounded like until I went up to St. Elmo in Colorado and they seemed to be loaded with singing hummingbirds - what a sound!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @jkjenn, We have three frequent fliers in our back yard affectionately named "Chirpy" ( the noisy one ) " Burpy" ( he pauses often after every drink ), and last, but not least "Slurpy" ( he's kinda messy!).  :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    We now use a sealed "mason jar" to put the sugar water in for travel. Just be careful not to mistake it for the one filled with Moonshine....oh boy, some rowdy birds! :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Just put my hummer feeder out on my deck this morning, so this is timely. A feeder for the T@B is a great idea!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Be sure to keep a short Shepherd's hook "somewhere", as there aren't many trees in AZ or other places. It is so much fun to watch the hummers. Also, keep a dedicated box for the feeder that you check before leaving. I have unfortunately left at least one a year in various campgrounds that did have trees. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna, Liz has at LEAST 20-25 feeders in our yard! I use old metal coat hangers to make hooks out of, and they, and the feeders have a separate box!
    @ScottG, Only one? I have to walk around and make sure ours are hung high enough in the surrounding areas in and around the lawns so I don't become a walking feeder when mowing the lawn! I'm always bumping my head on at least one, or two! Liz keeps me on my toes by moving them around once in a while to boot! :o:s
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    @ericnliz Don't know if I would want to weedeat a yard with 25 feeders!  =)

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    @dmerzbac, I've pretty much perfected the ol' duck-n- ;) weave method!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options

ericnliz said:

@ScottG, Only one?

One is enough--those little buggers are SCARY when they fly up and inspect me at close range! Don't know if it's my shiny head, my red nose, or my floral aroma, but they seem to like me...
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG, When I lived in the Bay Area in Ca., I had one that would follow me around when I mowed the lawn. Start the mower, and there he was! First time it startled me :o , after that, I worried when he didn't come out to play. You're right, sometimes they get right up close & personal!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    What species you got over there? The ruby-throats just arrived back east, but I didn't think their range extended all the way to the left coast.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    edited April 2017
    I LOOOOOOOOOVE hummingbirds! I get only about 2 or 3 in my neck of the woods. I try to plant as many plants that attract them in the hopes more will come. In central VA where my mum lives, she has about 5 feeders on her front porch. I can sit out there for hours & just watch them. She's had upwards of 15 at a time, buzzing around her feeders. They're just so amazing to watch! 
    I'm definitely getting a feeder for my t@b travels, thanks ericnliz for the suggestion! 

Here is a photo I took of one on my deck last summer; I believe it's a female Ruby Throated hummingbird. 

Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    @IrishCamper74, Nice shot! Friends we went camping with last summer live in Junction City, Or. They have about 25 in the mornings, and evenings. When you're in the back yard, and they're active, you WILL get buzzed if you wander around! They follow her around when she fills the feeders, and she has to do it once a day!
    @ScottG, Don't know what all the species names are, but we definitely have the ruby throats. Also get ones with really bright emerald colored heads. I know we also have REALLY tiny ones, and larger ones as well. A couple summers ago, a friend of mine & I were sitting under my gazebo and were watching a baby one learning to fly. It was hilarious! Looked like an out of control helicopter until it got the hang of it. :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    @IrishCamper74 Yes, that is a great photo! I'm going to fill my feeders right now.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Several years ago we visited Ecuador.  Little place called Mindo near the rain forest was full of hummingbirds.  It was hard to pull away from the feeders they were so wonderful to watch!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    texasaubiefantexasaubiefan Member Posts: 62
    Nice shot.  Thanks for sharing.  
    2017 T@B 320-S, Sofitel (M@bel)
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
    TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 
    David & Jill, Houston, TX
  • Options
    TorzanneTorzanne Member Posts: 31
    Great idea! Just remember not to hang any feeders when camping in bear country (bird feeders are bear feeders!) or in national parks where feeding wildlife is illegal. 
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Torzanne, Hmmm, We camp in bear country a LOT. Never had any issues except Yogi & Boo Boo who keep moving the feeders around, confusing both Liz & I and the Hummingbirds. :o We always check with Mr. Ranger first, State, or National. :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    TorzanneTorzanne Member Posts: 31
    Ericnliz, well no issue except that it may have attracted a bear to your camp. Which can lead to an issue for either you or others nearby. Good to always check with the Rangers first! 
  • Options
    @Torzanne, I can see we need to agree to disagree on this one. Let's see, Selkirk Mts., Rocky Mts., Sierra Nevada Mts., Cascade Mts, Sawtooth Mts., Olympic Mts. Blue Mts., Bitterroot Mts., Absaroka Range, and the Big Horn Range. Lived in a good part of these Mountainous, bear country mountain ranges, and camped in ALL of them. Bitterroots, and Absaroka Range, lived in a lean-to for 18 months by myself. I'm pretty sure I know how to be bear aware! I NEVER said that you shouldn't be cautious. Have a good day. :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    edited May 2017

"lived in a lean-to for 18 months by myself"

@ericnliz, you have my greatest admiration! Nothing short of amazing. One day, I hope to sit around a campfire drink a beer and hear some stories. 

Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    @marknjudy, Nothin' better than a good campfire & good folks sharing tales! By the time campfire is lit, it's time for hot chocolate & peppermint schnapps, or good 'ol apple pie moonshine!  ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    On my way. I'll be there in 3 or 4 days
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @marknjudy , I have a fire pit. Better hurry, I'm outa' here & goin' campin' on the 18th! Oh, and I forgot, FIREBALL, gotta' bring Fireball! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Eric, I'm truly impressed.  This reminds me of Richard Proenneke, the guy who built a cabin in Alaska and lived by himself for 30 years.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

He made some great video documentaries.  I highly recommend them..

Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Thanks @marknjudy, and @TerryV6, it was an absolute adventure for sure. Learned lots about myself on that one!
    On a lighter note: remind Liz to fill the hummingbird feeders! ( Little buggers are giving me the stinky eye 'cause they're gettin' low on go juice! ) :o
    Spokane, Wa.