Options

L@dybug and My Maiden Voyage!

HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
edited May 2017 in Camping & Travel
(Sorry, this got long!) First off, I am in love with Bug! Still love others in my life, but I had an amazing weekend settling into L@dybug. I took many of you with me in spirit, and all your great advice and tales were very helpful. Now I have a few of my own to add! This was a 4 day all gals camping group, 1 in tent the rest in some sort of unit. It was fun to poke around and see everyone's abode. Thursday I finished my packing and headed over to friends from work who are pretty much on the way to the camp ground. They have a class C and loved seeing a T@b up close. From there I headed to camp, was directed to a site that would be open through Sunday and as luck would have it, it was the rare pull through site! Score! I did everything I'm supposed to do, hooked up water and power and made Larry's Redneck porch awning. It was threatening to rain and was windy, but I got it up. Yes, silicon spray is my best T@b friend! A gal from the group came over to see how I was doing and by then I realized that I was out of view of the others turned the way I was. No problem for a T@b, right? I told her and said i'd swivel it the next day and she insisted on gathering the group to do it then. I had 5 very interested people as no one had ever seen a trailer turned for a better view! Took us no time, I didn't even unhook the water and power(which surprised some seasoned RV'rs.) I reset everything, and was very happy with the new view! I loved my little set up, and it was everything I wanted! I had ordered a Little Red Campfire off Amazon on sale and it got to the house after I left. Friday we had more wind and rain and the stakes on the awning were pulling out. I ran to Ace, bought metal stakes, ran home and picked up my new campfire and went back to camping.  Re-did the stakes and added an extra guy rope each pole, so two each. It held up with no issues all weekend, wind and rain were no match! Today three of us swiveled her back so I could back up and hitch up. Again, they loved it!

Here are some lessons learned (in no particular order)...
1. Had trouble regulating heat the first two nights. 
2. Kept perishables in a cooler with ice bottles since I did not pre-chill the Norcold. Turned it on to electric, never really seemed cool enough. 
Saturday morning got brave and moved all the cold food to the fridge, including ice bottles. Seemed cooler.
1&2 Solution...DH came by around lunch time because I wanted him to see my set up. By this time I figured out I either had no power to the outside outlets, or my new lights were dead. Being himself, he traced everything, double checked me and discovered that while I had run everything right, I did not flip the breaker switch at the pole. Who knew? I had been running on battery and propane for two solid days. Things improved with shore power, and I was able to be warm all night!
3. Because I'm chicken, I used the double bag system in the toilet. Also by Saturday I realized I had to dump grey water anyway so I might as well "christen it", and I'm glad I did! 
4. One of the gals came with me to the dump station today and told me step by step what to do. Easy peasy! I did add more water and solution to both tanks once I got home. Next timeI will do it before I drive away.
5. The trailer dolly is my new best friend! I was able to get Bug out of her shed and in place to hook up Thursday all by myself! Showed DH today how to use it. It's a lifesaver!
6. Sure wish I had checked my hot and cold water at home. Turned on the cold at camp and it came out lavender, as did the hot! The dealer did not de-winterize the whole system, including the hot water tank. I used cold all weekend, boiling water for dishes and tea, just like tent days. I will deal with draining and cleaning the hot once I'm home. For the same reason I voted to bypass a cold shower and came home smelling like a campfire!
7. Will be buying a brass Y connector for the camp faucet so I can easily access water for whatever. I picked up the plastic one we had at home, but prefer brass.
8. Found out the shower head reaches the kitchen sink. (Not sure why I need that, though!)
9. The Thermarest Hiker pad while not very thick, is just enough cushioning for me. I also love how it rolls up so small and has a stuff sack.
10. Need to take simpler to cook foods. I brought all sorts of things that sounded great in the store, and spent very little energy cooking because I was tinkering, or visiting with others.
11. Need to heat up the inside fast? Boil a pot of water! Yikes it heated things up fast even with the fan pulling air through and two windows cracked open.
12. Speaking of windows, I left the fan lid open a few inches the whole time. Woke the first morning to some condensation, including in two front top cabinets and one back one. Took everything out and dried it all off. Second night I left the front and door side windows open a bit, no problems since!
13. Thanks to @dalehelman and Sandi who dropped by Saturday morning. He told me that the 4 window brackets can be secured not only fully closed, but if you open the window a hair there is a second set of slots so you can lock the windows "open" and feel safe at night. Again, who knew? Thanks Dale!
14. When the little red campfire instruction say to turn the tank valve fully open and then turn the hose knob open, then light...don't. Just open the second one a little bit then light. Lost a bit of hair on my fingers, but luckily did not get burned! I'm going to like this fire!
15. I do need a door mat/outside mat.
16. Could use a step stool for outside when tinkering over my head.
17. A flat head screw driver works well tucking the rope back into the keder rail when the wind and operator error are at work.

Bottom line, I am fully hooked! I love everything about Bug, and love sharing her with others. I did it, and will do it again!

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Congrats and glad you so enjoyed yourself! 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    DINDAnLANDINDAnLAN Member Posts: 75
    Congrats and Happy Trails!
    Linda & Dan
    Cleveland, Ohio
    2018 Ford F150 XLT pulling a 2020 T@B 400
    LIFE IS GOOD!
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    Yay!!  Glad you had fun!
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    :clap::clap: Yay!! It sounds like a wonderful trip! I love my Lil Red Campfire. I still ended up smelling like a fire when I left the last campout because of the bonfire. Still, a great thing that draws friends like moths to flames (I got a few of them too).

After several camping trips with the group, I found I was taking more food home than I should be. I keep paring down the amounts. Remember to drink lots of water (I prefer to use bottled water, fill a water jug with spigot or use a Brita-type pitcher).  I forget to drink enough fluids. 

Congratz again at a successful trip!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Congrats! You did it!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Sounds like a very successful first trip!  :)

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    @Ratkity I didn't drink enough water the first day and a half either. I put a small thermal pitcher of water and a mug on the counter and remembered to drink more that way. I also have a steel water bottle I hauled around camp with me. And, thanks!

Thanks everyone! I also made a sewer hose holder before I left yesterday with pvc pipe and the appropriate end caps. I bungee ball corded them on the tongue until I can measure and buy better straps. I know what I want, just don't know it's name.

@Cyclonic I thought of you when I drilled holes along one edge for ventilation. Hose was not in the tube!  :o

@ Verna, this pics for you! Also I love my Luci candle lamps! I would leave them on inside when I went to the group campfire and they were a delight to come back to, a nice soft glow!

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Wow, you made a sewer hose holder right before maiden take-off too! Are you thinking about "muffler straps"? I couldn't think of the name of those either. I think even industrial zip ties will eventually fail, but some people have good luck with them.

GREAT lighting!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @Ratkity, no. I brought the materials and made it in camp before I came home.  =)
  • Options
    @Homebodyatheart, you are too funny! Go Grrl! 
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    @Homebodyatheart Which trailer dolly do you use? I'm thinking about investing in one. I did something similar my first time out with the electrical post. I remembered the breaker switch, but plugged into the wrong outlet! I think that also blew one of the alde fuses.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    edited May 2017
    @dmerzbac I bought it from Harbor Freight. It was $60, and well worth every penny! The only thing I don't like about it is the really stinky rubber/whatever wheels from China!  Ouch on blowing a fuse! I've been really careful with the order I turn things on and off then setting up and breaking down camp, or just plugging in at home. I figure I've got enough to learn right now without adding fuses to it! I did buy fuses to have on hand thanks to this forum!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Homebodyatheart, the stink will go away...eventually. If you get some sunny weather, put it outside for a couple of sunny days. I used one with my Silver Shadow teardrop, but not the T@B. I have a 12" drop in the driveway from the house to the road and I'm not trying that stunt by myself!  My brother loves the dolly for his fishing boat.  By the way, unless HF has improved the tires, they will not hold air. I put some flat tire spray in them and that has been better. They don't go as flat now ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Homebodyatheart, Congrats on your first outing! Glad you like the trailer dolly. Liz & I use ours every time we pull/push the WolfT@B in &out of it's spot by the garage. For your sewer hose holder, were you thinking of drier hose clamps? I know they make them in various circumferences, just a thought for a secure install that won't deteriorate over time, or being in the weather.
    Nice photo with the lights!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    @dmerzbac, If you go to Harbor Freight, grab a flier by the door, they usually have a 20% off coupon. ;)
    @Verna, Hmmm, the tires on mine (trailer dolly) don't seem to loose much air at all, as mine are the tube type. I've had mine for about 7-8 years though. Maybe they changed to tubeless?
    @Homebodyatheart, You should be real proud of yourself. Liz & I are still figuring stuff out, and adapting after 6-8 trips. Definitely a learning curve, but a really good, enjoyable learning curve for sure. Can't beat the great outdoors for a classroom! :)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @ericnliz one of my favorite things was to turn on my two Luci "candle" lights before I went to join the nightly campfire, putting one by the kitchen window, the other on the rear shelf. When I came back it was all cozy and warm (turned the Alde on, too) and nice soft lighting. It was so nice to do that for myself. I'm loving my creative awning for shade and rain protection. Figured out how to bungee cord the door open when the awning is up so the door stays open. Need a few more bungee cords, just in case I need 'em. Attached a small container with velcro on the wall to the left of the sink to hold phone and charging cords, etc out of the way below the USB outlet. Finally found my new rubber mallet after I needed it...in the tote for my electric cords and gear. Decided velcro worked better on some surfaces with command hooks than the command strips. And the list goes on!  :)
  • Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82

Thanks everyone! I also made a sewer hose holder before I left yesterday with pvc pipe and the appropriate end caps. I bungee ball corded them on the tongue until I can measure and buy better straps. I know what I want, just don't know it's name.

This is what I used. They are 7 inch Hose clamps that I bought at Lowes. Home Depot probably has them too.

2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    Thems some BIG hose clamps (Dad called 'em radiator clamps). :)
  • Options
    Thanks Lil_Lucy! Those are exactly what I had in mind. I want to measure to be sure, but those will work well.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    'Sounds like great outing. 'Nice nod to our dearly departed Larry and his "redneck porch".  He lives on. :)

Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @Lil_Lucy, Those are the exact ones I was thinkin' about also! Thanks for sharing the photo! :)
    @Homebodyatheart, What, NO Zombies? :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    I'm surprised none of you caught this -- there was RV antifreeze in your Alde when you were using the heat that weekend! :o

This is something you'll want to avoid in the future, I'm not exactly sure why but that's what Alde says--something about the heat breaking down the antifreeze.  Anyway, I'm sure no harms done--just rinse it real good.

I keep seeing folks hanging lights from their awnings--love the way that looks especially with the shaped bulbs.  You've given me some ideas that I might take up at the upcoming Washington get together B)

T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    @wizard1880 oh my goodness you are right! I will call the dealer tomorrow to run it (and my displeasure) by them. Thank you!
  • Options
    I read somewhere (Alde manual or here) that the glycol could have an adverse effect/reaction to the hw heater aluminum insides, just like a regular hot water tank found on bigger campers. Those are by-passed as well (normally, although some people's opinions may vary). My dealer told me to by-pass the hw heater. 

@Homebodyatheart, you have earned your "Shakedown" Expert badge from T@B University. An honor for someone facing challenges during the trip, but still having a fabulous time!! :)
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    I'm not sure that using RV antifreeze in your Alde hot water heater is a problem.  On page 7 of the Alde manual, under 'Storage and Winterizing', it explains the two methods of winterization - draining the boiler or using non-toxic RV antifreeze.  No where in the manual can I find a warning about filling the boiler with RV antifreeze!  This is for the 3010 model.

I don't use RV antifreeze in mine as it is simply easier to drain the whole system, but I would definitely like to find more information on it.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    I have this sneaking suspicion this is one of those topics that will always go 'round and 'round. I think the bottom line is that if you are maintaining and winterizing your camper, you are ahead of the game no matter how it's done. So many people don't know simple care procedures. I certainly didn't when I bought my popup in '93(ish). I've learned so much HERE in such a short time. 

There are no set and fast rules for many maintenance things! I thank all for every bit of experience and input!!
  • Options
    @Ratkity Aw, shucks...thanks for my new badge, it means a lot! I also think you are correct on there being multiple ways to achieve the same results with some of the things on the T@b. I just know that when we had our walk through and tried the tap the water ran clear so I figured they must have drained and cleaned the lines and tank. They must have had the water hooked up and we didn't notice. That would be a good item for folk to add to their walk through list! Depending on where you live and the time of year it makes a difference.
  • Options
    @Homebodyatheart, Are you referring to the water in the "fresh water" tank, rather than the "city water" hook-up? I just read somewhere recently ( can't recall where) that the pink RV antifreeze wouldn't harm the tank. I think (just me), I would put the fresh water fill hose in, open the drain by the wheel, and run water through for a while to clear it out real good. Follow this up with sanitizing the tank, and you should be good to go. Thoughts?
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    Thanks Jon.  Lived up near Florissant until a few years ago.  Beautiful spot!
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited May 2017
    You can use pink anti-freeze inside the fresh water portion of the Alde, but if you do, don't turn the Alde's heat on.   The RV antifreeze is not designed to heat up to 150 F :o

If you were storing it all winter anyway, it's not a big deal.

T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA