Options

Plugging into home

Is there anything I should be concerned about if I use a "Dogbone" as in the link below to plug directly into my garage when I'm at home?  The A/C , TV and computer running together would require more than 15 amps.  Is that a problem or would just one device not work?  This might be a stupid question but...oh well.  :)

https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-55165-12-Inch-Dogbone-Electrical/dp/B000BUU5YA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

Comments

• Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    You can use the dogbone to plug in, but I wouldn't run the AC.  Everything else should be fine.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    I don't want to throw up any confusion, but this brings up a question that's long bothered me. Everyone says you shouldn't use the A/C on a 15 amp circuit. But the A/C in the T@B is a window unit designed to run on a 15 amp circuit breaker in a home. Is it really that one shouldn't run the A/C AND anything like the refrigerator, Alde on AC and/or any other high current draw devices simultaneously? I can see that being an issue.
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,451
    edited May 2017

marknjudy said:

I don't want to throw up any confusion, but this brings up a question that's long bothered me. Everyone says you shouldn't use the A/C on a 15 amp circuit. But the A/C in the T@B is a window unit designed to run on a 15 amp circuit breaker in a home. Is it really that one shouldn't run the A/C AND anything like the refrigerator, Alde on AC and/or any other high current draw devices simultaneously? I can see that being an issue.

You are correct. The appliances are individually rated for <15 amp, so any one of them should run just fine on any standard household circuit.

However, amps are additive. For example, if you run two 10 amp appliances on a single circuit, you will be pulling 20 amps through that circuit. If the current (amperage) draw exceeds that allowed by the breaker or fuse protecting that circuit, the breaker/fuse will trip/blow, cutting off power to prevent the wiring from overheating. It's not the end of the world--remove the overload, reset/replace the breaker/fuse, and continue about your business.

Keep in mind that standard 15 amp receptacles may be connected to 20 amp circuits. You cannot judge the capacity of a circuit simply by looking at the outlets.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. My plan is to install a 30 amp breaker in the garage of my new home when I move in just for good measure; but until then I know there will be days when I want to run the AC for a few hours once every couple of weeks because we suffer from high humidity and other times that I will want to run the refrigerator to cool it down before a trip. Never at the same time, hopefully, unless I'm in the dog house (which wouldn't be a terrible thing if the T@B was the dog house, huh?)
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    I have plugged my T@B into a 15amp circuit in the garage for the past 5 years. Run the AC, vent, TV/DVD and stereo sometimes. Never had a problem and never tripped a breaker.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    That was basically my concern. The cumulative affect of multiple appliances.  If the 15 amp source would limit the appliances to turn on or could /would it be potentially damaging to one. 
    2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The only thing I worry about having my unit plugged in 24/7 is that the converter is working full time. Currently figuring out solar for house parking right now.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,451
    edited May 2017

That was basically my concern. The cumulative affect of multiple appliances.  If the 15 amp source would limit the appliances to turn on or could /would it be potentially damaging to one. 

Assuming your home's electrical system is properly wired, the only cumulative effect of excess current demand (amperage) will be a tripped breaker or blown fuse in your house panel--a situation that is easily corrected!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Bill_Cochrane, the longer your extension cord, especially if the cord is a smaller gauge, the more voltage drop you'll have. 
    Voltage drop causes cord/wires to heat up and is hard on motors (AC compressor).
    If you use a shorter, heavy-gauge cord (#10 or #12), the AC should be ok. 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Since the A/C only consumes ~500W, you can use it along with anything else in the T@B with no worry on a 15A circuit.  The converter, TVs, lights, etc. only take an additional amp at most, and the 3-way fridge in electric mode takes a couple hundred watts (varies depending on model).

The only exception is using the Alde in electric mode -- it will consume 950w at a minimum if you set for electric heating mode.  Propane mode is fine.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    @wizard1880, those are good numbers. I'm thinking the likelihood of Alde and A/C running at the same time is low at least in my case. Just have to remember that in the event I need to fire up the Alde - then it would be open the garage door for good ventilation. Thank you!