Options

Window NOT made from safety glass

HappyCamperWivesHappyCamperWives Member Posts: 33
edited May 2017 in Camping & Travel
Hey all,

A semi kicked up a rock and shattered our front window a few days ago but the biggest problem was it wasn't safety glass :(  We had shards of glass throughout the entire house- blarg! We picked the trailer up in Arizona and I guess each state has different regulations for the front window but may be a good idea to check and have it replaced if it's regular glass, no fun.  We are replacing with the plastic version needless to say. 

Happy and SAFE travels everyone.

Comments

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 929
    The tiny little nuggets of glass that were all over your interior are proof that the tempered safety glass performed exactly as intended.  If the window had not been tempered there would have been long, pointy shards scattered about and remaining in the frame.  The small pebble like pieces are relatively harmless in comparison and exactly what makes it "safety".
    A new plexiglass window that opens will be a nice upgrade if you look for the positive in your adventure!
    Have fun!

• Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    Nice video ladies!   
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    We love these girl's!!!
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Same thing happened to us!  Except our window stayed in place.  It was webbed in cracks and some pieces started to fall out where the rock hit.  That must've been one large rock!

If you replace it with the new style that opens, the first thing you'll notice is the tinting is much less, which I found as a good thing.  More daylight and better view!  (Not to mention the Acrylic will never shatter again!)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    Great video.  I cringed when I saw the window.  I have the plexiglass version that opens, but it's still a fear of mine...I've already had it replaced after hail damage.  
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Does everyone drive with their shades in place?  We contained them (lowered them) en route.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I leave mine shades up, and the screen door in the open position (not slid out across the doorway). With the window screens in place it is very difficult to see inside. 

The screen door door is a lesson from experience--something fell against it while traveling, tore the bottom string and there's no fixing that. It's a rather expensive mistake to make. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options

Same thing happened to us!  Except our window stayed in place.  It was webbed in cracks and some pieces started to fall out where the rock hit.  That must've been one large rock!

If you replace it with the new style that opens, the first thing you'll notice is the tinting is much less, which I found as a good thing.  More daylight and better view!  (Not to mention the Acrylic will never shatter again!)

It's the worst! We are thinking it was a windshield type glass and nope- little baby glass splinters everywhere! But at the end of the day no biggie just know for next time- glass is a no go
  • Options

We love these girl's!!!

Aww thank you!!!

• Options

rfuss928 said:

The tiny little nuggets of glass that were all over your interior are proof that the tempered safety glass performed exactly as intended.  If the window had not been tempered there would have been long, pointy shards scattered about and remaining in the frame.  The small pebble like pieces are relatively harmless in comparison and exactly what makes it "safety".
    A new plexiglass window that opens will be a nice upgrade if you look for the positive in your adventure!
    Have fun!

Safety I guess is relative- we were thinking it would be like a windshield but were def wrong. We still got cut a lot and it splintered making all of our things sparkle with mini glass shards. It was a real mess. But again! All is ok, it worked out fine and we're super excited about an opening front window :) 
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    edited May 2017
    I suspect it's a matter of terminology: someone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe "safety glass" refers to the automotive-style glass which is made of two thin layers of glass with optically-transparent, rubberized adhesive sandwiched between the layers, the idea here being to keep all the little pieces together even after the glass has shattered.

Those windows, and all other high-stress glass applications, are made of glass which has been "tempered," i.e., heat-treated, to a)  be stronger (more resistant to impacts) than non-tempered glass, and  b) to "explode" into all those little, mostly squarish pieces of glass when they do break, reducing the risk of severe cuts. As rfuss928 said, all those little pieces of glass are an indication of the glass having been tempered, which is actually better in terms of safety....
     Our DM T@B didn't have a front window, but it sure strikes me as an excellent idea to use plexiglass in that position.

That certainly wasn't in my thoughts when, working for a pinball machine maintenance company many years ago, I slid out the playfield glass for servicing a machine when there was a loud "BANG!"  My two hands slapped together and I was suddenly holding nothing! It took me an entire day to remove all those $#%$# little pieces of glass from between the hundreds of relay contacts all over the bottom of that machine.

That glass had apparently suffered a multitude of indignities over its life, and just got to the breaking point, literally. Tempered glass. Would have been nice if it had been safety glass!

• Options
    Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    I follow you on YouTube and saw the video! But what a great attitude! Love your channel! 
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    At the risk of hijacking this thread, what are the pros and cons of shades up or down while traveling?  I did a search of this topic and nothing came up.   It would seem that shades down would at least provide a bit of heat relief inside the T@B, right?   Or is there some reason why it is better to travel with the shades up and perhaps just the window screens in the up position?
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options

T@Balong said:

At the risk of hijacking this thread, what are the pros and cons of shades up or down while traveling?  I did a search of this topic and nothing came up.   It would seem that shades down would at least provide a bit of heat relief inside the T@B, right?   Or is there some reason why it is better to travel with the shades up and perhaps just the window screens in the up position?

We travel with our shades down for a few reasons I guess- to not let anyone see inside if we park somewhere, to help with heat, and in the event the window breaks (haha we were right on this one!) to help keep the glass outside if it explodes. Can't tell if that worked or not but it seemed most glass went outside but we do have to replace the shade now. 
  • Options

I follow you on YouTube and saw the video! But what a great attitude! Love your channel! 

Aww thank you
  • Options

irvingj said:

I suspect it's a matter of terminology: someone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe "safety glass" refers to the automotive-style glass which is made of two thin layers of glass with optically-transparent, rubberized adhesive sandwiched between the layers, the idea here being to keep all the little pieces together even after the glass has shattered.

Those windows, and all other high-stress glass applications, are made of glass which has been "tempered," i.e., heat-treated, to a)  be stronger (more resistant to impacts) than non-tempered glass, and  b) to "explode" into all those little, mostly squarish pieces of glass when they do break, reducing the risk of severe cuts. As rfuss928 said, all those little pieces of glass are an indication of the glass having been tempered, which is actually better in terms of safety....
     Our DM T@B didn't have a front window, but it sure strikes me as an excellent idea to use plexiglass in that position.

That certainly wasn't in my thoughts when, working for a pinball machine maintenance company many years ago, I slid out the playfield glass for servicing a machine when there was a loud "BANG!"  My two hands slapped together and I was suddenly holding nothing! It took me an entire day to remove all those $#%$# little pieces of glass from between the hundreds of relay contacts all over the bottom of that machine.

That glass had apparently suffered a multitude of indignities over its life, and just got to the breaking point, literally. Tempered glass. Would have been nice if it had been safety glass!

That makes sense! Tempered glass. I've broken a few windshields and never have we had such a mess. It was impressive, really, how much of it was everywhere!!! Haha glad we can share our stories. 
  • Options
    Tabalong, The newer (2015 or 2016 and on) Tabs are made to raise the shade and lower the screen.  The older Tabs shades pulled down and as I recall there was a sag issue.  Also, the current shade/screen placement allows you to keep a window cracked at night with the screen in place and pull up the shade for privacy.  We were told to store the shade during travel - I think to reduce the wear/risk of damage during travel.  I know a lot of people keep the shade deployed to prevent peepers and keep it cooler but it sounds like Verna deploys the screen which helps obscure the contents of the Tab.  We may have to try that.  
  • Options
    edited May 2017

irvingj said:

The rubberized laminated glass is mostly unique to windshields to help prevent objects from penetrating and entering or exiting the vehicle.  Side and rear automotive glass, shower doors, storm doors, skylights, commercial displays and many other applications where long, dagger like shards present a likely risk when the breakage occurs use single layer tempered glass.
    "Safety glass" is a general term and not a technical specification. 

In this situation everyone was safe and free of serious harm so the fun can continue.

HappyCamperWives  - Enjoy your new window and the adventures ahead !

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232

SAM said:

Does everyone drive with their shades in place?  We contained them (lowered them) en route.

I travel with the shades closed, keeps prying eyes away, and our shades are the older roll up ones that are reflective on out facing side, so it helps keep the camper cooler.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    In our 2015 T@B, the shades pull down and the screens pull up from their "at home" position. I guess I'm still wondering if there is some harm being done to shades like mine if we travel with the shades in the down position.   That would be my preference since I believe the shades keep out more sunlight than the screens alone do.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I read a lot of RV forums.  The general consensus is to travel with the shades down (for numerous reasons).  I don't see where there would be any risk of traveling with the shade down in the T@B (but not the screen part of the shade - the hard part).  But, like many things RV, everything comes down to preference.  I travel with my shades down in both of my rigs.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    The shades and screens that were used in the DM T@Bs and possibly early LGs pull down from the top.  They are held in their lowered positions by small plastic pins engaging in notches in the tracks.  Many people have problems with the pins breaking as the trailer bounces down the road.  Kind of a PITA to find replacements and fix.  The consensus recommendation is travel with them up to avoid stressing / breaking these pins.  I'm sure different shades use different latching mechanisms.
    I think I would prefer down for sun and security reasons but have always followed the recommended up position with these shades.

• Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    Yikes girls, sorry about your window.... just glad it wasn't your truck windshield!!
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    I think there is a picture on the windows showing shades up if I recall, look at your windows there is a decal by the manufacturer on it...only travelled from our dealer so far...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709

SAM said:

Tabalong, The newer (2015 or 2016 and on) Tabs are made to raise the shade and lower the screen.  The older Tabs shades pulled down and as I recall there was a sag issue.  Also, the current shade/screen placement allows you to keep a window cracked at night with the screen in place and pull up the shade for privacy.  We were told to store the shade during travel - I think to reduce the wear/risk of damage during travel.  I know a lot of people keep the shade deployed to prevent peepers and keep it cooler but it sounds like Verna deploys the screen which helps obscure the contents of the Tab.  We may have to try that.  

I think this applies to even newer models (maybe "late 2016's"? Mine is considered a '16 (made in late '15) but the shades are still on top and the screen is at the bottom.  I must have just missed the newer install.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Yep, could we that recent.  
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    The keyword here is "laminated" -- this means if it breaks it stays in place mostly.

In the OP's case, it was not laminated, so the pieces went everywhere.  It's safety glass for sure, since it broke into tiny pieces.

Ours was laminated, so when it broke it held in place even towing at highway speeds.  Knowing how the factory and parts availability is, perhaps some got laminated, others not.  They're all safety glass, in any case, by DOT regulations.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    fuzzypinkbunnyfuzzypinkbunny Member Posts: 24
    I just watched your video! How are you getting it replaced on the road? Did you just have to find a T@B dealer? (BTW, your Key West video made me want to immediately get on the road and drive south!)
    Live. Travel. Eat. Repeat. 
    2013 Orange & Grey T@B CS-S: Villa Ar@ncia
    Follow my travels on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cookwithkerrydotcom/