Options

Time for new Tires? USA-made tires now available!

wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
edited May 2017 in Trailer & Towing
Thought I'd share something I discovered while researching tires for my utility trailer.

If your T@B is between 4-6 years old, and you haven't yet replaced your original tires, or, you've had a blow-out and need new ones -- Goodyear has created a new ST (trailer-service) tire manufactured exclusively in the USA, just released this January!

This is a BIG deal, as it's been many years now that RV owners have only had the choice of trailer tires from China or Taiwan.  Search any forum dedicated to RVs or trailers and you'll find dozens (or hundreds) of threads of folks having tire blowouts on nearly-new chinese made tires, with almost everyone just BEGGING to have USA-made tires again.

Thankfully, NuCamp has done their homework and picked the best tire they can provide--even though they're chinese made.  I haven't heard of many blow-outs here, probably because our tires are amply over-rated for the capacity, giving us a decent safety cushion.

However, if US-made tires are important to you, or you tow your T@B in desert areas often, or if you plan to tow your T@B at speeds regularly above 65 MPH, the Goodyear Endurance tires are available to fit the bill.  And that's right -- they are N-speed rated allowing higher towing speeds.  (Check their website for tire pressure variances needed for high-speed operation)

They can be had at any America's Tire / Discount Tire, and ordered from various online sites.  They're still very new so they may be hard to find.

Here's their press release: https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/media/news/goodyear_launches_american_manufactured_trailer_tire.html
T@@bulous
2014 T@B CS Maxx
TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
Martha Lake, WA

Comments

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Wow, that IS a big deal! Thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    driftlessdriftless Member Posts: 135
    Had these tires put on our T@B about 3 weeks ago.  We will be heading out west Sunday for a 4 week trip.  Will be giving these tires a góod run.
    Happy Trails,
    Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited May 2017
    I replaced my tires with the new Goodyear Endurance tires last month.  Since I moved from bias ply to radial tires I decided to replace all three.  The main appeal is that they are American made, but also they have a very high load rating (just over 2000 pounds per tire) and a speed rating of 87MPH that I will never use.

So far they seem to ride great, but I have only towed about 100 miles total with them on.  The real test will be in June when I head down to Texas and New Mexico.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Great news!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Looks like Discount Tire has them for $108 each! For that price, it might be worth it for me to do a preemptive strike!
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 451
    edited May 2017
    Would the Goodyear Endurance be better than TowMax? Am in the market for new tires.
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I like that the Endurance is made in USA, and they're speed rated for above 65.  However, the TowMax can be had for much less money.  Honestly, you can't go wrong with either.  I hear the TowMax tires are actually clones of Goodyear Marathon's, or at least they look identical.

Another good brand is Maxxis, but they're even more expensive than the Endurance.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    I priced the Endurance vs TowMax (quoted by Les Schwab)) and the Endurance was less expensive, so I'll go with that, thank you @wizard1880 for this tire thread!
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    I wanted to post that I've just purchased and  scheduled installation of the new Goodyear Endurance thanks to @wizard1880 's post. It was $255 total total (less than Discount Tire). I bought via Goodyear website, and selected a local place to install. They currently have a automatic discount and the install was less than Discount Tire. 

The tires are rated to 87 mph (versus 65 mph) and are "D" (versus C) and are radial. All is a huge upgrade to the tires I currently have, that are now four years old and show tread wear.

Thank you Brad!!!!!!! 

Seattle, WA
  • Options
    And a big THANK YOU to @JerryandVicki  for noticing my current tire treads and suggesting I look into new tires. :-) 
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    I just priced Discount Tire vs  GoodYear's website - and it was much less expensive to use GoodYear's website. Both were $110 per tire, but GoodYear has a $22 discount and the install was less, so overall it was significant (about $50  less)

marknjudy said:

Looks like Discount Tire has them for $108 each! For that price, it might be worth it for me to do a preemptive strike

Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Woot!  Glad to help. :)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    clinckclinck Member Posts: 57
    Buying the best tires available and replacing them at the proper time is a life safety issue..
    i never quibble about the cost of tires since my life, health and happiness is literally riding on them..I have replaced many tires before their time. It's for peace of mind and protection of my investment.
    Chris and Toby, the wonder dog
    2014 320S
    2016 kia Sorrento SXL V6
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited May 2017
    The young guys at the Harley shop didn't understand why I didn't want the stock tires. I gladly paid the money for a tire I feel safe with on the road!! 

Edit: the older dewds seemed to understand.. methinks I impressed a few from getting a few cute smiles.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited May 2017
    @AldebaranJill, A BIG thanks for sharing this with everyone! 'Ya probably helped those folks that were "on the  fence" about their purchase. Nice info! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    driftlessdriftless Member Posts: 135
    I have to say these tires are awesome.  We just completed a 5500 mile trip with these tires on our T@b and they performed beautifully.  We were able to travel at 65-67 mph with no concerns.  Gas mileage at these speed was better than when traveling at 55-60  with the bias tires even thru the mountains.  Traveled from Wisconsin to Nevada, Arizona,  Colorado, then back to Wisconsin.
    Happy Trails,
    Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

• Options
    driftless said:
    I have to say these tires are awesome.  We just completed a 5500 mile trip with these tires on our T@b and they performed beautifully.  We were able to travel at 65-67 mph with no concerns.  Gas mileage at these speed was better than when traveling at 55-60  with the bias tires even thru the mountains.  Traveled from Wisconsin to Nevada, Arizona,  Colorado, then back to Wisconsin.
    Again, many thanks to @wizard1880 for calling attention to these tires with this post. I too did about 500 miles and they towed so well I thought I had a new tow vehicle. Love them!
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    I put in my zip and Tire Rack waa $289 (I paid $255)

Apparently Goodyear is having a sale via website:

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/endurance
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
      Just wondering.. I see that on the Goodyear site, you buy the tires, pick a site nearby and they ship them there.  When notified, did you just drive over with the camper and they put them on?  Did you have to unhitch?  I've never used a jack yet on it, but I read concerns about proper placement too.  Do you caution the installers?
      Our T@b is a 2016 and it came with steel belt radials.  I think we have about 4000 miles on them.  Still plenty of life.  We try not to drive over 62 mph.  Still, the vision of a blowout is disturbing.  
    Tapping forehead...  think.. think..  got a bit of fluff in my ear..
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, caution the tire installer to never put a jack under the axle. Use the frame directly in front of or directly behind the tires. I found out in AZ that the Tire Discount guy was very understanding as Airstreams have the same type of axle. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Thanks Verna...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6 said:
      Just wondering.. I see that on the Goodyear site, you buy the tires, pick a site nearby and they ship them there.  When notified, did you just drive over with the camper and they put them on?  Did you have to unhitch?  I've never used a jack yet on it, but I read concerns about proper placement too.  Do you caution the installers?
      Our T@b is a 2016 and it came with steel belt radials.  I think we have about 4000 miles on them.  Still plenty of life.  We try not to drive over 62 mph.  Still, the vision of a blowout is disturbing.  
    Tapping forehead...  think.. think..  got a bit of fluff in my ear..
    I took a good long look at that spot where you're supposed to put a jack, as did the Goodyear tire fellow, and we decided the best thing was for me to put the trailer into the "change a flat tire" mode for them. I was way more comfortable with this than I was with them jacking up the trailer for me.

1. Unhitch
    2. Lower front jack as low as possible
    3. Extend rear stabilizer jacks as far as possible
    4. Raise front jack until wheels lift off ground enough for them to remove the wheels
    5. Lower two front stabilizer jacks for extra margin

When they need to tighten the nuts, you'll need to lower the wheels down just enough to make contact with road to offer resistance.

Note you will also need to specify the tire air pressure, and the lug nut torque settings for them.

Jill
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Thx again to @wizard1880...I checked our local Discount Tire, Goodyear dealer, Sam's Club, and TireRack...all the same... $108/tire+ mounting. The Goodyear rebate is only if you get/use their credit card.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    @AldebaranJill   I've never thought about lug nut torque settings.  How do you know what to tell them?

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    It was either 90 or 95 ft-lbs. I have 15" wheels. @LauraRey
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    DptritDptrit Member Posts: 18
    Is the Max Tire Load rating per tire or for the pair? Some boat trailers would have 4 tires. My tires look to be 2040 lbs, plenty if times 2 = 4,080lbs but not enough if for the pair. Has to be per tire right?
  • Options
    Dptrit said:
    Is the Max Tire Load rating per tire or for the pair? Some boat trailers would have 4 tires. My tires look to be 2040 lbs, plenty if times 2 = 4,080lbs but not enough if for the pair. Has to be per tire right?
    Right, load index is per tire (diagram below is for 4 wheeled vehicle)

Seattle, WA
  • Options
    DptritDptrit Member Posts: 18
    :) AldebaranJill thank you very much!
  • Options
    Leeh22Leeh22 Member Posts: 30
    I've read all of these posts, all the posts regarding tire pressure and everything I can find on-line.  I'm now totally confused.  The tires that came with out 2015 T@B had a max pressure of 50.  We just replaced them with Good Year Endurance with a max pressure of 65.  But what I read about tire pressure says max 50 for this trailer and folks are recommending 35 -45.   Sounds like I should follow the trailer recommendation not the tire.  Am I understanding this correctly?  What pressure should these endurance tires have?

By the way thanks once again to the forum.   This whole tire replacement was the result of great advice and when we arrived at Goodyear they moved so quickly that they started to work before we were fully checked in.  The first words out of my mouth were "please don't put jacks on the axle".  The guy we were talking to bolted out the door and ran to the trailer where they were about to put the jack on the axle!