Options

First Trip

foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
Just returned from a two night stay at Pedernales Falls State Park not far from Austin.  This was my first trip out so I thought a 40 mile trip was just about right.  Still very nervous to be heading out on a rainy day, even if it was a short trip.  A few observations from the adventure:
  • Hooking up the Tab for the first time was way easier than I thought it would be :)
  • The trip to the park was much bumpier and rougher than I expected.  Even on the nice smooth highway, it just felt different.  Then I remembered conversation on this forum about weight distribution when you move the spare to the tongue.  I has just moved mine before the trip.  So I redistributed the weight for the trip back and it was so smooth and so easy!
  • Backing the trailer for the first time was...well...interesting.  Took me about 10 times to finally get it right, but I did!
  • I used the Andersen Leveler and even with one person, found it very easy to use. 
  • Pitching the 12x12 screen tent was also a challenge and took me about an hour.  But now I know how to do it.
  • Organization is really really important!  Space is limited, even for one person.
  • People at the dump station are very nice (and patient).  That went well too.
  • I felt so comfortable on the way home that I can't wait to plan my next trip.
  • This forum has helped me so much and I appreciate all of the hints/tips/mods, etc.
I would like to post a few pictures but not sure I know how to resize them.  Any hints?
2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @foxden I am so excited for you! Sounds like you had a great maiden voyage with no issues that you couldn't handle. Congratulations! Good to know about the tire weight and towing. I need to move ours and we'd have the same issue. For pics I've found that emailing them from my phone to myself then getting them from there works. After that I'm lost! Good luck posting them! BTW, you have great taste in St@rdust's colors...same as L@dybug!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    And do these guys qualify as zombies?
  • Options
    The trailer pic looks blue to me but when I click on it, the pic opens in a big window and looks great! OK, now it looks almost normal...maybe I need to quit for the night! LOL!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Foxden - the pics are perfect.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DINDAnLANDINDAnLAN Member Posts: 75
    Looks great! Congrats!!

Linda & Dan
    Cleveland, Ohio
    2018 Ford F150 XLT pulling a 2020 T@B 400
    LIFE IS GOOD!
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Glad to hear you had a great trip! I love the Fredericksburg area. I hope to get back there soon and climb Enchanted Rock.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    Thanks @dmerzbac  It is a great little town.  Do the climb straight up but also take the 4.5 mile loop around.  Absolutely beautiful!  Most people just go straight to the top and miss the best part.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @foxden, Sounds like you enjoyed yourself, which is the most important part! Every time you go, you'll find you're tailoring things to make setting up simpler, and faster, until you get to the point where it just becomes routine. Looks to me like you're already on a fast road to achieve this as it is.
    Your spare carrier on the front is exactly like mine! Use the extra holes to hang your chains from, it will save you from tripping over them (especially in the dark!) Kind of curious how you shifted your weight distribution to compensate for the spare being up front. Would you elaborate a little please?
    You're absolutely right, Anderson leveler is a breeze to use,very happy with ours as well. The backing up part just takes practice, as these trailers respond very easily, and quickly. My first time this year was at best, a little iffy until I remembered small adjustments as you go.
    Beautiful shots by the way! :)  Have fun out there, and be safe. ;)  
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Thanks @ericnliz I had some pretty heavy things right at the back of the tv.  My bin that had everything trailer related, a heavy screen tent, the grill etc and almost nothing in the Tab or in front of the tv rear axle.  On the way back I had shifted the bin so that it was in front of the rear axle, along with the screen tent and grill.  I added a few things to the back inside the Tab.  Camp chairs, a camping table, my clothes, etc.  Whatever I did appears to work.    And I definitely figured out how little it takes to move the Tab when backing up.  At one point I looked in my rearview mirror and it was gone!  Well....not gone.  Just out of sight in a jackknife sort of position.  I just had to laugh and hope no one was around.

Great tip on the chains.  I did maybe trip a time or two but that went along well with the various head bumps I encountered inside the Tab.  I did use the same carrier you suggested and it was very easy to install (after a few trips to the hardware store).  I also now know that when someone on the forum (you) says "take the carrier with you when you get the bolts so you will get the right size" I should listen. :)  Also got a drill attachment to lower and raise the stabilizers and I love it!  Not a big deal to use the hand crank but much quicker with the drill.  And installed the Valterra sewer hose tube while in camp but only with hose clamps.  Should that be secure enough?

All in all I am very excited about all of this.
  • Options
    @foxden, Thanks for the "heads up" on the weight distribution. We pack very similar to your description, so should be good to go.
    As far as the chains go, that was a "been there, done that" occurrence before I looked & had a "duh" moment. Just thought I'd pass that one along. The "take the carrier with you" was more of a self preservation thing for me and the day I was already having, just thought I'd throw that one in to save someone an "extra" trip to the hardware store. Would have worked out better for me if only I had looked in the parts package for the carrier, and discovered the "missing" nuts BEFORE I went! Live & learn!
     The head bumps, ha, funny you should mention that. I'm 6', so standing straight up is NOT an option (or shouldn't be  :o). After a while you'll find you don't even realize that "muscle memory" has taken over & the desire to stand straight up is GONE! 
    I also have the drill attachment for the stabilizers, and wouldn't leave home without it. Thanks to @Dalehelman, I also have a bolt for the trailer jack, so I use a drill for that as well. Quick, and easy!
    I haven't got to the sewer hose tube yet, (took the other one back because it wasn't going to work the way I wanted it to) but am also considering the Valterra one as well. Which one did you get, the 64"? I was also looking at the adjustable one (also Valterra) 34" to 60". Have to re-measure my sewer hose and attachments to see if that one will do the trick. I know several folks here have installed the one you're describing in various ways. My thoughts: use self tapping bolts on the supplied "ears", and maybe use a hose clamp, or two for added security. Maybe @Verna can chime in here, I know she has one.  :)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @foxden I had to chuckle at your jackknife skills. I've got that angle down to a fine art! Now if on next weekend's trip my friends sell tickets or take bets on the number of tries to back Bug into the site I want a deep cut of that!  ;)
  • Options
    @Homebodyatheart, Darn, I was hopin' you wouldn't get wind of that one! How's 2% sound to 'ya? =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @ericnliz, sure. I think you getting 2% is just dandy. Hahahahahaha! B)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    But, but.....ok, the entertainment factor will more than make up the other 98%! Ha, ha back at 'ya! ;)
    I know, 5000 comedians out of work, and you get stuck with me! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @foxden and @ericnliz, you will only be able to use the top screw hole on the 64" Valterra tube.  It is made for "the big boys" and the big campers, and our frames are not as long (top to bottom) as those. So you can put one screw at each end, and then space out your clamps evenly fit support. 

Hint for use:  when you get to the RV dump, open the front end of the tube, slide the hose out on the ground, and then just slide it under the tongue. Reverse when putting the hose back in the tube. There's no sense in fighting to get the tube over the tongue if you can just have it stay on the ground. You'll look like a pro who has done this for years!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna, Thanks for the info. I was looking at the installs I had seen here on the forum for the Valterra tube, and you answered my question of how "snug" it would fit to the T@B frame. Good to know about the clamp spacing as well, and for the heads-up for putting the hose under the tongue, rather than over. 
    Must have a good charge on the 'ol Magic Wand again! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770

@foxden I had to chuckle at your jackknife skills. I've got that angle down to a fine art! Now if on next weekend's trip my friends sell tickets or take bets on the number of tries to back Bug into the site I want a deep cut of that!  ;)

OMG.. I'd be a billionaire if someone paid me a quarter for all the "jackknife" incidents that have happened to me over all the campers I've ever owned (and some uhauls and flatbed trailers too). You would think I'd get it right finally. Well, as soon as you change campers, your technique has to be refined. Then you get a bug to change your TV. Technique adjustment again. Rinse and repeat.

THEN, you reserve a spot at your favorite campground NOT knowing there is a tree directly across from the back-in site and nearly growing in the asphalt road. When you have an extra long TV and even a small camper, backing up while on a narrow one lane road is an art... then add that I was doing it in the dark. That darned old tree didn't get clipped by the grill guard on the truck as I swung and inched forward 25x, but I was contemplating how sharp my little hatchet was (j/k park ranger!!). That tree was right on the edge of the road and it wouldn't have mattered which way I went down the road to back up into the spot.

My camping group buds arrived just in time to see me "expertly" back in and never saw me cussing at that tree. By that time, there was a runway of Coleman Lanterns and about 14 voices yelling opposing directions to turn. You know, the sound system in my truck is pretty good at drowning out those things LOL. All done in good fun!! One of the guys is a pilot for BIG planes, so you can imagine the fun all of them were having.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Ratkity, you would have been so jealous of me yesterday....I moved my T@B back 20' from where I was so I could have a lake view. After I pulled up to get off of all 10 of my Legos on the passenger side, I placed them where I had measured and where they needed to go. Nailed it first time backing it up and putting that tire on the Legos! And it was not in a straight line from where so had been parked!  No, my arm is not broken from patting myself on the back!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Glad to hear that you have all had some of the same "challenges" and lived to tell about them.  I'm sure there will be many more and I look forward to all of them.....I think.