Options

Screw or Glue

mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
We want to mount a few things inside the camper. Spice rack to the right of the stove and paper towel holder possibly above the door... so do we screw them in or use some kind of adhesive?

Thanks

Mickey
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    3M Command strips!!! Paper Towel holder never moved from above the door.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    Command strips or Velcro.  Screws/hooks for wood areas.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Look for the Command brand picture hangers. They work great.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    The interior walls are simply a thin veneer over high-density foam. Even with Command Strips, I would not put a lot of weight on them (especially while the trailer is in motion - lots of jarring).  Others have posted that the Command Strips actually started to pull the veneer away from the foam.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    The one wallpaper bubble I got was when I left weight on a command hook on a 100 degree day. I have several pieces of lightweight artwork and a fridge temperature monitor on picture hanging strips and have had no problems. The regular command hooks in the bathroom are fine too. I take the towels off when we're moving. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited May 2017
    **disregard this post-I had the wrong info--sorry!**

Don'tbe afraid to use metal screws to attach items inside your T@B.  Just be sure you've got it in the right place and that you won't change your mind on it in the future, and keep in mind it might affect resale value if a future owner decides they don't want your mod.

The interior / exterior of the T@B is a multi-layer aluminium / composite with foam inside.  Avoid running screws any deeper than 1/2" into the T@B's wall.  The floor is similar, but is thicker.  There's a thread here somewhere that describes the actual materials and exact thickness. 
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Search "interior walls" for more threads on this topic.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Command strip hangers will eventually pull away from the wallpaper substrate (bubble out) depending on how much items weigh, how long they are left hanging, and how high the temperature gets.
    The same thing will happen with glued hangers.
    Lightweight stuff shouldn't be a problem but anything else that will hang for a long time needs the hanger to be anchored within the wall.
    I wonder what kind of staples are used on the Velcro strips for the side cushions? Seems like 1/2" staples that flare out would be ideal for permanently mounting some items. Or screws designed specifically for the type of wall structure in a T@B.
    @wizard1800 -- What type of screws have you used?
    Anyone tried using a stud finder to determine where the aluminum struts are? If so, is it possible to tap into a strut with the right type of short screw? Are the struts U-shaped or boxed?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    **disregard post**

Theentire skin of the interior is aluminum, with the frame crossmembers.  Screws can go in anywhere, not just into the frame unless you're installing an overhead bookcase or something along those lines :i_dunno:

I've used small self-tapping sheet metal screws.  The wider the better, so they get more area to grab onto.  There's been some discussion regarding galvanic corrosion in which type of screw material to use, and either stainless or Zinc coated are ideal.  Avoid brass!
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    The entire skin of the interior is aluminum, with the frame crossmembers.  Screws can go in anywhere, not just into the frame unless you're installing an overhead bookcase or something along those lines.

Is it easy to locate a crossmember strut to tap into? Would that handle a 10lb pull from the ceiling? I assume the skin alone can't do that.
    Are there any photos or a time-lapse video of a T@B under construction that show the frame before/after skinning?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Maybe @Verna or another rep here should be able to provide some guidance here.  I know some who've been curious & helped in the past.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Wizard, are you talking about a TaB?  The interior walls are a heavy vinyl coated paper on top of foam.  The TaB framing IS aluminum.  The exterior roof skin is very thin aluminum, foam then birch veneer.  and the sides are a composite (alufiber) with Azdel - polypropylene and fiberglass.   No aluminum interior skin.  Most would not recommend using screws in the walls or ceiling.  
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited May 2017
    @SAM is correct, @wizard1880. The interior walls of the Pleasant Valley/nüCamp RV T@B's are 1/8" composite material (no metal), 1 1/4" white styrofoam insulation and the the 1/8" fiberglass infused exterior on the side walls (except the Sofitel that has aluminum exterior on the side walls). The roof is constructed of the 1/8" faux wood interior, aluminum ribs spaced at regular intervals, with insulation between the ribs and then an aluminum roof. 

The sides have aluminum ribs along the factory made openings...door, windows, and are shipped from the supplier with these opening already cut. 

The easiest way way to see exactly where the roof aluminum ribs are on your T@B is to take a shower (or turn on the hot water for a minute or do) with the roof vent and windows closed) and the condensation will show up where there are no aluminum ribs. Would I drill into the ceiling?--nope. I would not want to compromise my roof. 

Would I use screws in my side walls?--nope, and I haven't. I use Command strips Velcro and hooks. Knock on wood, my T@B shaped key holder is still on the wall inside the door for almost two years. My spice rack did come off the wall on an extremely rough section of road in March. I'll replace the Velcro this weekend, along with a new spice rack. My State of Indiana scrollsaw art is still on the wall after a year. I love Command strip Velcro. 

Did I answer all questions?

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options

So 1/8" composite wall or 1/8" veneer ceiling + 1-1/4" Styrofoam + 1/8" fiberglass means the roof and walls are 1-1/2" thick.
    We can forget about trying to anchor anything in Styrofoam. ;) 
    Those aluminum ribs must be pretty sturdy though. Are the ribs boxed shaped? Any pictures available?
    Thanks for the condensation location tip.

• Options
    mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
    Wow, when you ask a question on this forum you really get a detailed answer. Thanks everyone. I will stick and not screw. 
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    TabberJohn, the ribs look to be box shaped - no side view.  Here are a couple pics from Verna and Mike.

• Options
    Thanks, @SAM. I have terrible cell reception and I couldn't find a photo. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Welcome!
  • Options
    You're right, I was thinking about the floor.  I thought there was some aluminum on the sides too.  Maybe I was thinking outside.  Sorry for any confusion!

There are parts attached to the inside, like the cable TV splitter in the lower closet.  That sucker is screwed in TIGHT--perhaps it's going into the frame?  And of course all the shelving.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I was lucky and didn't have wallpaper in the T@Bitha. No peeling off of Command strips. Of course, nothing heavy was every left on them - especially when towing. Mostly for light things (keys, snarky signs, small clock and temp gauge, etc). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    The floor is similar to the roof. Aluminum square struts spaced at regular intervals, with Azdel (non-wood composite) on top of and on the bottom of the insulation. The Azdel was used beginning with the 2016 models, with 1/8" plywood used in the flooring in the prior years. There is no aluminum in the flooring except for the aluminum struts.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    From 2015:

From Scott Hubble - about the floor construction:

"they used to be (vapor barrier, plywood, linoleum) when Dutchmen made them...

when we (Little Guy) took over, we made the sidewalls and floors with aluminum frames & shot block insulation

So the (floor) layers are (from the bottom up):  vapor barrier, 1/4" miranti or azdel, 1" aluminum framed floor with insulation/styro, 1/8" miranti or azdel and then linoleum. 

we are very close to moving to a new 100% composite floor"

Thanks for clearing this up @Verna.

That 1/8 azdel layer seems as strong as or stronger than sheet aluminum--Ive driven several into the floor under the benches to secure my dual battery system and all the hardware, and it is incredibly solid, tougher than wood for sure!

I don't believe nuCamp has ever used plywood in their wall or floor construction, and if so, good for them!  (Floor rot is a common concern with our competitors)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    @wizard1880, thanks for the quote--I have limited cell service and I gave up trying to copy and paste the floor info. There's a photo from Cyclonic from last year's Tearstock showing me holding up a round section of the floor with the Azdel and insulation. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    FYI, I tried a stud finder without success. 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    Aluminum is non-ferrous.  I'm not sure a studfinder will work.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    There are electronic stud finders (Zircon multi-scanners) that detect ferrous or non-ferrous metals.
    Apparently a non-contact infrared thermometer might work too. 
    Condensation method sounds good to me, but I haven't experimented with that yet.
    It would be nice to know the thickness of the aluminum box wall you'll be drilling through. That will determine what type of screw would work best or whether an expanding anchor is required or perhaps even a rivet gun.

• Options
    To see the wall thickness, remove the plastic grill covering the refrigerator vent next to the door. Any opening is framed with aluminum (Windows, door, frig vent, A/C vent, ceiling fan).  It's 1 1/2" if memory serves.