Options

New Cabinet mod

My 2011 T@B had both limited kitchen storage space and limited counter space. Finally I got around to making changes to the interior above the AC unit (mine is  mounted on the floor). 

Here is the original configuration. The first step was to remove the counter top from atop the AC unit. Then I built a cabinet frame to match the kitchen counter height. 

The original counter top went back atop the new cabinet. It is designed to be held in place with 4 bolts -- two on the outside by the bench seat and 2 on the inside of the closet area. 

Next it was  finding guides to fit the space and making a drawer. My guides are rated for 75 pounds and are 20" long.  The drawer is 20 inches deep and 19 inches wide and 10 inches in height. I used 1x9 poplar for the sides and 1/2" birch plywood for the bottom.

The final step was making a frame around the drawer front to give it a finished look to match the other cabinetry. I used the same brushed nickel knobs as are on all the cabinet doors.

The finished cabinet gives me much more working kitchen counter space and gives a sizable "pantry drawer" for storing food. The closet is still functional for hanging clothes. 

Just finished this today and can't wait to get on the road to try it out!

Stancil Campbell
2011 T@B
Rockingham, NC

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Nice job.  Good use of space!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Estancio, Nice clean lookin' mod! I like how you re-used the A/C top for the cabinet. Makes it look "stock". Thanks for sharing!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Awesome, that's some nice cabinetry work!

Question -- is there an easy way to get into the lower parts of the front (existing) cabinet?  Like, in my case the Alde coolant reservior is down there, along with some other plumbing / wiring that I may need access to.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    elgolfoelgolfo Member Posts: 22
    Can I pay you to make one for me?Awesome mod,great woodwork,make the box,I will install and stain my self!
    2007 t@b,no mods at all,2013 Jeep jk 4 door,Sedona,Az and El Golfo de Santa Clara,Sonora,Mexico,
    Tim & Jill
  • Options
    RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    That looks fantastic. Do you take orders?  =)
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Sorry, I cannot take orders as I have way too many projects of my own. I thought retirement would give me time to complete things, but I am finding the number of projects keeps increasing instead!
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    edited August 2017
    UPDATE: I've been on the road for about 10 days, covering 3400 miles so far. The drawer flew out, off the tracks, and onto the camper floor one day. The "soft locks" on the tracks do not hold the drawer closed when traveling. So I have tied a rope around the knob to hold it in place, while I brainstorm for a real drawer locking device. 

QUESTION: Has anyone tried rare earth magnets to hold doors or drawers closed?
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    One thought that came to mind when I read your update are the push-button style locks they are using down at the factory on the new trailers.  I do understand that this would change the look of the drawer front but thought I'd toss it out there anyway as food for thought.  

Image result for Push button drawer locks
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thanks, Mike, for the suggestion. I'll certainly consider this type lock.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I like the looks of the lock. The brushed stainless look is a nice touch. It also doesn't show fingerprints or gets smudged easily.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    These are the same locks incorporated into the T@B 400. Maybe with some rework on the front of your drawer you can adapt it into the new mod which really gives you added space for storage.  Good luck and keep us posted!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ