Options

Chains, rings and sizing and oh that break away cable...

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
We need to shorten our chains and change out the clip/ring that connects to the hitch holes.  I know they should be short enough not to drag, but long enough not to prevent a sharp turn.  How do you decide the length before we start cutting?  Trial and error?  Should we just leave them long and add something to tie them up in transit?

Also, the clip that came on the end of the chains will not allow attachment to the hole on our Draw Tight hitch.  Anyone else with this problem?  What kind of clip/ring did you replace it with and what works for you?  

The break away cable has a loop at the end and no clip, so we need to add a clip there too.  If the hitch is bolted to the van frame, is it acceptable to attach the break away cable to the hole in the hitch where the chains attach?  Seems like a ring should have been included with the cable.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    I now run my crossed chains through their respective hole and clip it to itself, leaving some slack but no drag. Pick up a small clip or carribiner and do the same thing on one side. I don't think have a pic though. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have been very satisfied with my 5,000 lb coiled cables that I used to replace the too short cables. I can still cross them, they aren't too long or too short, and they have heavy duty clips on the ends. My breakaway cable has an "S" attached to the end of it. I clip it to my hitch receiver cutout where I attach the left cables and it stays in place. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    I just unbolted the chains from the trailer and re-bolted them a few links higher. No cutting required if you don't mind the little tails, but you might have to use slightly longer bolts. If you do, make sure they are the same size, grade, etc., yada yada, disclaimer disclaimer.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @ScottG, Ha, I did the same thing! I got tired of trying to figure out what to do with the slack left over, and didn't feel comfortable with taking up the slack by "doubling, looping" it on the TV end, or "twisting" the chains. Still left enough to cross the chains though. I think I only had to go three, or four links, so the "tail" isn't very long, or noticeable. Since I use two different Tow Vehicles requiring different chain lengths, I didn't want to cut them, or have to get two different sets. It is not hard to switch back & forth at all. Un-do the nut, take the washers off, adjust length, put washer & nut back on, tighten & hook-up. Bolt length has not come in to play, but you're right about matching the grade, and size of bolts. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Proper way to secure safety chains. This is just a mock up and is missing the spring clip. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited May 2017
    Hmm, I wish I could do that.  The "eyelets" on mine are so small and thick that I must use a horseshoe-bolt clip which I can then attach to the chain clip.

T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Dalehelman, Hmmmm, There is No WAY my chain will even come close to fitting through the hitch assembly like yours as shown in your photo, on either tow vehicle. The only portion that goes through is the hook portion. That's why I had to adjust my chain length accordingly. Thanks for sharing the photo though.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Dale, that is exactly what we are now doing with the chains, but I thought you need a direct connection to the TV and not double back on the chains, no?  
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410

SAM said:

Dale, that is exactly what we are now doing with the chains, but I thought you need a direct connection to the TV and not double back on the chains, no?  

I believe that is why holes along side the receiver are large and  elongated. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 160
    Is there anything wrong with just twisting the chains and how much clearance from the ground do you have for the chains. This has me thinking about the ball. Does the ball or hitch wear out? M y ball is real old as I've towed a boat around with it for about 20 years. Anyone hear about hitches failing? I guess I'll look on the net but I'm a little afraid to.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    I am a novice, but everything I have read says that the chain strength is rated when they are straight.  In other words - don't twist. We tow with a minivan and we are low to the ground to start.  The chains are probably 6-8 inches off the pavement.