Options

Propane Consumption

I'm heading out on my first official camping trip this weekend; total boondocking.  I will be running the refrigerator, Alde and stove on propane.  I'm curious how much propane is consumed by these appliances?  I understand there can be significant variability, so I'm really looking for a general idea.  To assist:

The average daytime temperature will be 75.
The average night temperature will be 38-42.

The refrigerator will be running fulltime from Friday afternoon to Sunday night.

The Alde will only run at night (10 hours max).  We will probably maintain an indoor temperature of 75 until bed time, then 50 through the night.

We will cook two breakfasts and one dinner on the stove.  Lunches will be cold cuts/canned goods.

I'm thinking one full 20 pound bottle ought to handle this, but then the Alde website indicated the Alde can consume an entire 20 pound tank in 24 hours "when running at full speed."

Appreciate any feedback.

John
2022 T@B 400 BD
2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Last winter, a 20 lb tank lasted me 4 to 7 days for the cooler part of the winter, over 14 days once I hit warm weather. I kept the interior temp around 70* + or minus depending on wind and outside temps), night time temps at 60*.  Cooked one meal a day, but if I cooked outside I didn't use the 20 lb tank. 

A 20 lb tank should be plenty. But, if you're where it is still snowing.....I'd take a second tank just in case you got stranded due to the depth of the snow. Mother Nature seems to be having a temper tantrum right now. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Perfect!  Thanks Verna, that's just what I needed.  Doesn't sound like I need to worry about it!
    2022 T@B 400 BD
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

I'm always amazed at how little propane the T@B uses while boondocking.  Because you're a CPA, you'll want to weigh the full take prior to the trip and then weight it upon your return.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We boondocked 3 weekends at ski areas this winter on 1 tank, probably could have gotten a couple more nights.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    Unless you have solar or a generator I'd be more concerned about your 12V battery!
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    My 20lb tank has lasted for the past 5-1/2 years! Never had to refill it since new.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    9Jethro9Jethro Member Posts: 15
    Tabber john, now that's some funny you know what 
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238

Tabaz said:

I'm always amazed at how little propane the T@B uses while boondocking.  Because you're a CPA, you'll want to weigh the full take prior to the trip and then weight it upon your return.

Actually, I picked up one of those "guage" tanks from U-Haul prior to heading out this last weekend.  I was amazed at how little propane I actually used.  I don't think I'm going to have to worry about propane consumption!
    2022 T@B 400 BD
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @JohnDanielsCPA, the two times I've been out so far, camping with others. I will close up the windows to the small gap setting for ventilation in the late afternoon. The T@b holds heat from the day quite well. When I come back from a campfire then I turn on the Alde for the night, and it kicks in sometime when I'm asleep (unless I mess up the settings...) I also cook outside on a small table with my trusty ancient Coleman gas stove, which saves on the draw from the big tank. I still want to try @Verna's hot water tank level check. She says to pour a mug of hot water down the side of the tank, then feel the tank with your hand. When the metal goes from hot/warm to cold you have your propane level figured. That makes more sense to me than a guage that may or may not work.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    They sell black strips you can tape to the side of your tank, for doing the hot-water level check

Amazon seems to sell the magnetic ones only--those are almost useless according to the reviews (likely due to the thermal insulation from the magnetic material)

This looks like a good one:
    https://www.thermographics.com/consumer/propane-gas-tank-indicator

Not sure where to buy them however.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I had one of the non-magnetic ones, but pulling my tank in and out to refill sorta messed it up. Still do the mug of hot water trick. Never falls me. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    Greetings All, I just had my 20 lb propane tank topped up. It took 6 lb ; and that was consumed last season over about 40 days of camping - cooking, hot water and occasional heat.  The full tank weighs about 38+/- lb. if I switched to a 10 lb tank - full wt about 22 lb full. Is saving 16 lb on tongue wt worth the trouble ?
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2020
    If you have an adequate tow vehicle (which you do need with a 400) I think it’s a non issue in my opinion.  I prefer to have an adequate amount of propane myself as opposed to wondering if I need to refill it. 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ