Options

Electrical question

littlelululittlelulu Member Posts: 16
My outlets are not working inside or out.  I have tried to reset the gfi, but it doesn't seem to reset.  Any suggestions before I replace the gfi?

Comments

• Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    Some GFI's require a longer push on the reset button than some fingers can manage. Try pushing it in with a pen. Check your breakers as well of course.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @KBaggins, and here I thought it was my fat sausage fingers!!!! I had to reset the GFI and about lost my one and only fingernail doing it. Glad I'm not alone. :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Check  Circuit breaker's in trailer as well as the breakers that you are trying to draw power from. GFI' s will not reset if there is know power to them.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.  I will spend time with fuses etc.  when I get home tomorrow.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    What year is your trailer?  Is this something that just occurred and when was the last time the trailers electric system operated without any issues?  GFI's are built in to detect imbalances in electric current, are sensitive and as noted above, do go bad on occasion.  After checking your breakers, fuses, etc. you could try unplugging things in the trailer (e.g., the Alde unit, Aur conditioner, etc.) and try the GFI and as part of the process of troubleshooting and eliminating possible problem areas.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited May 2017
    @littlelulu, don't bother with any fuses--those are for the 12V side of things and have no impact on your 120V outlets. The outlets are powered directly from your shore power hookup via a 15A breaker in the panel.

The cabin outlets are on a single circuit, and all are tied to the GFI under the driver's side bench. If those outlets are the only things that don't work, that points to a problem with the GFI outlet, a loose connection either in that first GFI outlet or in the panel, or a problem with the 15A breaker controlling that circuit.

2015 T@B S

• Options
  • Options
    Luke_BLuke_B Member Posts: 5
    Yes I concur with Scott, to reset the breaker you need to first switch the breaker in the completely off position then switch on and you should hear an audible click.    To test your GFI plug I believe it needs to have power to it for the test button to work.     You can go to your bathroom in your house to get an idea of what you are looking for.   When you press the test button you should hear an audible click, and your GFI outlet will have tripped and stopped working, pressing the reset button will reset your outlet.    Same is true for your outlet in your camper.       You should be able to find a friend who is familiar with this and can show you.