Options

Name this wire!

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
I am trying to understand all the circuits and wiring on our TaB.  In the pic of the wires to the left of the front junction box, I know the black loom contains the break-away wires, so what is the large red wire?  Any guesses?
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,452
    @SAM, are you talking about the pic below? If so which red wire are you referring to?

It's been a while since I've been in there, but If you are referring to the larger red wire coming from the top of the second post from the right, I believe that is the positive feed to the converter. (This is the post where the tow vehicle charge line, the battery positive line, the converter, and the power to the breakaway brakes all tie together--think of it as the hub of a four-spoke wheel.)

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sorry- forgot pic!  

• Options
    Oh! That's a new one on me...

It looks like a piece of red "Romex"--an unusual color apparently used for cables having red and black conductors (as opposed to the standard black and white). Not that that tells us anything about why it's there or what it does.

Maybe if you could figure out exactly what it connects to on either end, I can offer another idea. Otherwise, hopefully someone else will chime in here!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Scott, we have an ARB installed in the CS galley.  I wonder if that accounts for that wire.  I will open up the junction box as soon as my husband is done flooding the galley as he adjusts the mixing valve:)
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378

"as soon as my husband is done flooding the galley as he adjusts the mixing valve"

Now THAT'S just funny!

Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    He does not do house plumbing, so not sure why he insists on commandeering the TaB plumbing.  I need to wait until he leaves so I can work out the kinks:)
  • Options
    Ahhh, I should have noticed you were talking about a CS! I suspect you are correct about the ARB. I'm guessing (and only guessing...) inside that junction box you find that cable ends in a red and black wire attached respectively to the second and first posts from the right.

Hope the flood isn't too bad...  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Scott, a red and white wire exits that large red cable and the red connects to the second and the white connects to the first posts from the right!  I guess the white cable is the negative?
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    @SAM, it was funny because I could see that being me doing the plumbing, not laughing at the misfortune.
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    SAM... I have a CS-S  checked the wire .. on the jacket it says jacketed brake cable.  it goes along the the chassis channel  I,m thinking its for the electric brake..bottom is covered I didn,t trace it back to the wheel hub..  ..have other things to do likecut my yard. we have been getting too much rain in the last 3 wks...later
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    Marknjudy - all resolved!  We found out that the Alde bypass valve was open and allowing cold water to mix with the hot.  So, no more flood or drips!
  • Options

SAM said:

Scott, a red and white wire exits that large red cable and the red connects to the second and the white connects to the first posts from the right!  I guess the white cable is the negative?

Sounds like it, based on what you describe and on how mine is wired. Does the other end attach to the ARB in the CS galley as you originally suspected?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    So, Manny says he has a CS and has the same cable that says "brake cable".  I looked and mine Says that too.  Where do others brakes connect?
  • Options
    My brakes (2015-S) are powered through the wires in the black loom, just as you described in your post of May 22.

I wouldn't necessarily believe something just because it's written somewhere. Do you know where the other end of the wire terminates?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Scott, I can't trace the wire without removing the corrugated black under cover.  I hate mysteries.  
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    Sam & scott  that wire goes direct to the pass side brake wheel then to the other side ...  It`s the wire for the electric brakes
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    Interesting. So what is in SAM's black loom? Hate it or not, the mystery deepens...  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks Manny for tracing that.  Funny that the S model does not have that same wiring.
  • Options
    I suspect it has more to do with vintage than model. These trailers have evolved pretty quickly in the relatively short time I've hung out here.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Scott, do you know where your brake wires enter at the junction box? My brake away wires come in from the left in that black loom.  Can you ID your regular brakes?
  • Options
    @SAM, it's been a while since I've traced those wires on my 2015, but if I recall correctly the wires in my black loom also provide "regular" power to the brakes. Somewhere in the spaghetti is a spliced-in switch loop that transfers power from the T/V to the battery if the breakaway switch gets activated.

Yours almost certainly works the same way. However, based on what you describe, I'm guessing PV/nuCamp simply replaced the older configuration with a more robust cable for the regular (i.e., T/V activated) brakes. The breakaway switch loop is still contained within the black loom.

Again, I'm just guessing--I can't say anything for sure without actually tracing all the wires. There's also still the element of brake control which involves yet another circuit from the T/V that--in your case--we've yet to identify.
    2015 T@B S