Options

New to the T@B community

hdb90hdb90 Member Posts: 11

Hi Folks, I've been trolling your site for about 2-3 months. Started shortly after purchasing a 2007 model T@B. I ran into a few difficulties and found the help I needed here to fix the problems. We live in southeast Ohio so I took it to Columbus to have a converter installed. Other minor repairs were taken care of by me.

We had friends and neighbors stop by to look it over and give their opinions and all were favorable. We bought a 3" queen memory foam mattress and camped out in the driveway one night. I conked my head only twice on the rear storage but other than that it was a success. So on Thursday 5-18-17 we struck out for Topsail Island N.C. We overnighted at Stony Fork Campground near Wytheville VA.    

When we pulled into the campgrounds we had a lady yell "It's adorable". Now I had read where numerous people talked about people wanting tours and stopping by to take a look and ask questions. I figured since mine was ten years old that newness was long gone.

Early the next morning we were off again. We arrived at Surf City Family Campgrounds at about 1:00pm. We got setup quickly (which was great) and the people around us started asking questions. To make a long story short over the next week we probably had 2/3 of the campers stop and ask about our T@B. People with huge motorhomes were coming by and wanting to look inside. The women would usually comment that that is what they needed instead of the thing they have. They were shocked that it had a furnace and AC.

It rained about half the time we were there but we stayed warm and dry. This was an investment I wasn't real sure about but turned out to be one of our better buys. Making plans for the grandkids in two weeks and two week after that maybe the U.P. of Michigan. and then back to N.C. in September.

Someone on this forum commented about starting a log book, that they had people sign when they stopped to look. I recalled that about half way through the week and thought what a neat idea that was.

Sorry for being long winded and thanks for all the info you have provided us. Harold

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    Welcome Harold.  Sounds like you are off to a great start!  Our little Tabs have a lot going for them.  Enjoy!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Welcome to the great life Harold! I stopped for gas last weekend on the way home and had 8-10 bikers in their leathers looking through the windows, all very impressed! It's always fun to see their faces when I say it has a toilet, shower, ac, heat, stove and fridge. Sounds like you had a great maiden voyage! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    SAM said:
    Welcome Harold.  Sounds like you are off to a great start!  Our little Tabs have a lot going for them.  Enjoy!

Thanks SAM, So far we've enjoyed
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Welcome to the great life Harold! I stopped for gas last weekend on the way home and had 8-10 bikers in their leathers looking through the windows, all very impressed! It's always fun to see their faces when I say it has a toilet, shower, ac, heat, stove and fridge. Sounds like you had a great maiden voyage! 

Thanks Homebodyatheart, It is funny to watch their eyes. They can't believe there is that much in that little package. Then also I'm 6'2" at 250# and they probably think there's no way that big baboon fits in there.
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
     @hdb90 that's when you go sideways! I'm 5'3" and sideways works best for getting in and out of the "facilities". Actually when I first discovered T@bs that's the first thing I checked at a dealer. If I didn't fit there was no point in looking further. I love my T@b!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
     @hdb90 that's when you go sideways! I'm 5'3" and sideways works best for getting in and out of the "facilities". Actually when I first discovered T@bs that's the first thing I checked at a dealer. If I didn't fit there was no point in looking further. I love my T@b!
    We don't have a shower or toilet, but we'll stand one up outside if we go somewhere besides a campgrounds.
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Welcome!!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @hdb90, That was me with the log book. Wow, that was a while ago too, so you been lurking here (ok, trolling) for a while. My record so far for the Zombie effect was 23 in ONE day. (included Park Rangers, Camp Hosts, Sheriffs, and LOTS of curious campers)
    Glad to hear you're having fun out there. The adventure has just begun! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    @hdb90, That was me with the log book. Wow, that was a while ago too, so you been lurking here (ok, trolling) for a while. My record so far for the Zombie effect was 23 in ONE day. (included Park Rangers, Camp Hosts, Sheriffs, and LOTS of curious campers)
    Glad to hear you're having fun out there. The adventure has just begun! ;)

Lurking may have been a better word, but I have read quite a few postings. I can't imagine answering the same questions 23 times in one day. That's a new person every 20 minutes for 8 hours (that's crazy).

I told the wife after church today that I can envision two kayaks strapped to the top and us along some river out west.

States Visited Map
  • Options
    Lesley_and_IanLesley_and_Ian Member Posts: 66
    Welcome Harold.  We also  have a 2007 T@B.  We bought it last fall but due to illness and weather in Wisconsin we will be taking our maiden voyage on Wednesday. I'll report back!  We will be in Michigan with it, yet to be named(!), in June so, who knows, we might see you.  
    Where do you store the memory foam mattress? and where is your spare tire stored?
  • Options
    Welcome Harold.  We also  have a 2007 T@B.  We bought it last fall but due to illness and weather in Wisconsin we will be taking our maiden voyage on Wednesday. I'll report back!  We will be in Michigan with it, yet to be named(!), in June so, who knows, we might see you.  
    Where do you store the memory foam mattress? and where is your spare tire stored?

Hi Lesley_and_Ian , It's great to hear from another first time T@B owner. We would be pleased to hear back about your first time out. We came home after being out a week and I told my wife "You realize we just spent a week in a camper smaller than our bathroom". It made me stop and think how much wasted space we really have.

We leave the dinette down as a bed. So the memory foam stays on top of the cushions. The only time we plan on being in the t@b is to sleep.  I had read where a lot of people do away with the fold down table but we wanted to keep ours. Well, I think we are going to do away with the fold down table. If we put in slates to support the mattress we will have a bunch of storage under the bed. One of our problems was our shoes in the walkway.

The spare tire I was going to leave under the trailer. Until I went to take it out and there isn't much room under there. So I placed it in the back of my truck. I know Murphy's Law, and if it was under the trailer I would get a flat in the pouring rain, and the only place to stop would be a mud puddle.

If we make it to Michigan we hope to run into you. Good Luck on your trip. Let us know how it works out.

States Visited Map
  • Options
    Lesley_and_IanLesley_and_Ian Member Posts: 66
    Harold.  We are  primed and ready to go.  For now we have rolled up the memory foam and left it at the back of the bed area.  We plan to use the table so cannot leave the bed up at all times.
    We took the mattress out of the storage area and found an attachment for it on the tongue but now we are worried about tongue weight so not sure.  We have till Wednesday mid day to sort it out!  It may have to come off the tongue and go in the TV.

• Options
    Harold.  We are  primed and ready to go.  For now we have rolled up the memory foam and left it at the back of the bed area.  We plan to use the table so cannot leave the bed up at all times.
    We took the mattress out of the storage area and found an attachment for it on the tongue but now we are worried about tongue weight so not sure.  We have till Wednesday mid day to sort it out!  It may have to come off the tongue and go in the TV.

You folks sound like you prepare for a trip like us. Everything's in the air until the last moment.

We mounted a box on the front of our t@b to hold some extras. So we can't mount a spare tire on there. So it'll have to stay in the truck.

Hope you have a great time. Keep us posted.

States Visited Map
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Welcome Harold...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options