Options

Cutting Board Warp

mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
We bought our 2016 Tab used and the cutting board is warped. Is that common?
Could we fix it by oiling it with mineral oil. wrapping it in syran wrap and setting a cement block on it for a few days... or soaking it in water and setting a cement block on it... or something else... or just buy a new one...
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• Options
    SnapDogSnapDog Member Posts: 53
    Ours is warped too - given our very rainy west coast climate it really doesn't stand a chance. I just flip it over and it un-bends a bit. I really like the wood but might buy a new one as well.
    Sn@pDog, 2017 Outback, Silver w/black trim
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Care and feeding of a cutting board:  Wipe both sides and all edges liberally with mineral oil (often found in pharmacies with ahhhh, contipation relief supplies....).  Do this once a day for a month. Then do this once a week for a month. Then once a month for its lifetime. It fills the pores of the wood and lessens the ability of bacteria to enter the wood pores. Wash gently, as needed, but do not let the wooden cutting board sit in the water. Dry immediately, applying more mineral oil if the cutting board seems dry. 

My solution to the warping of the T@B (or T@G) cutting board is to keep it in the original bubble pack wrapper and buy a similar sized man-made cutting board for daily use. If you have used the care and feeding instructions above, the original wooden cutting board can be used as a serving tray, but washed, allowed to dry and then stored out of sight of the sun and other light. The changes in humidity and temperatures are some of the causes for the warping. 

Why are the cutting boards warping? They are thin wood, they have not been treated with mineral oil and the above instructions for care and feeding have not been implemented. 

Yes, you can buy other more expensive butcher block treatments, but I like the inexpensive mineral oil. I've even used mineral oil as a finish on cherry salt and pepper grinders I made. It's a non glossy finish that helps repel water, and is moisture resistant. 

CAUTION:  MINERAL OIL, NOT mineral spirits......that would cause lots of problems. 

Compliments of Ye Ole Woodworker.....me
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I used mine only one or two times and don't believe it's warped --- so it's one of many items I am bringing to T@bazona if anyone wants it (other items I'll have will be for sale but I'd give away the cutting board).
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    Our 2017 cutting board was only sealed on the top side.  This allows moisture to wick into the wood through the bottom, causing the very thin board to warp.  I sealed the bottom of ours with polyurethane and have not had a problem, but it's only been a year in very dry Colorado :)
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    My cutting board has never been used for cutting and is not warped. It will be available at Tabazona 2018 at auction. Opening bid (with reserve) of $4,500.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    @Tabaz, so if I started the mineral oil treatment tomorrow on mine, it would be ready for the lifetime of once a month treatment and would be worth more. For just $5,000, I'd even throw in a bottle of mineral oil ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,498
    @Tabaz , @Verna, the way you two are going at this, the next thing we could see is bidding wars over 'good as new' 'sturdy' 'antique' folding T@B tables... =)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    I bought a white synthetic cutting board and cut it to fit. Never warps.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    greggillgreggill Member Posts: 45
    Mine did warp but as time has passed ( about a year) it straightened out and actually looks pretty good.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited May 2017
    The cutting boards and for that matter any cutting board made of wood that sits under the front window of the trailer is subject to warping from the direct sunlight and resulting heat it endures.  The moisture trapped in the wood will evaporate as the wood heats up and as the moisture laden wood dries.  And as Verna noted the cutting boards do need to be oiled to maintain them properly.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Since I don't use mine as a cutting board, but rather as a cover for the sink, I used polyurethane on both sides to seal it up. Hasn't warped at all. I have a separate cutting board with legs that I treat as @Verna discussed above with mineral oil.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ours is bamboo. Unsealed. Multi-purpose. We've had no problems with it. 

Previous thread here:
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/52619#Comment_52619

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FB6TSK
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    Mine warped at one point.  I wetted it down, flipped it, weighted it down and it went back into shape.  I have another board I actually use with legs (like Chan's) that my brother made for me, so I mostly use the T@B board as a sink cover.
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I consider mine to be a decorative sink cover. For cutting stuff I prefer a cutting board that can be sanitized with boiling water. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    If I ever think we would go with a smaller Lagun table top, I think it would add to the decor..
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    Someone should cnc one out of cutting board material and sell them to tabbers. I want a gray one.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,507
    dsatwork said:
    Someone should cnc one out of cutting board material and sell them to tabbers. I want a gray one.
    You could make a template out of paperboard and take it to TAP plastics.  
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Be careful using a Logo that has a copyright......I did send a suggestion to the factory for a possible change to the current cutting board material. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    The idea of a "plastic" cutting board made of "normal cutting board plastic" has now been sent to the R&D department (Research & Development).  Obviously this was a worthwhile suggestion. It always amazes me how quickly great ideas from owners go from idea to hopefully a newer and better idea. 

Thanks to all who had input in this suggestion. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited June 2017
    Mine warped too. It didn't help that the faucet had an ever-so-slight drip and then add heat. I never used it except as extra counter space. Thinking about the food grade plastic ones, I wonder how they hold up to the heat as well? 

Ok.. warp-proof cutting board.. redneck style... go git some sheet metal, ya know, the stuff you has hangin' around by the shed. Gotta use the flat stuff, not the rolled up tin stuff. Make template. Git couzin to get his welding torch out or his favorite cutting tools. Make sure the edges are filed nice and round. Epoxy a thin plastic food grade cutting board top to the metal (upwards, not downwards). Make gasket to tightly go around the metal and fit snugly into da sink. Now youse got a cutting board that kin also act like them old fry pans - jes whack your unsuspecting, cupcake snitching spouse out da door when he or she is in da way (careful of the screen or you'll get a second whack). :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Mine warped too. It didn't help that the faucet had an ever-so-slight drip and then add heat. I never used it except as extra counter space. Thinking about the food grade plastic ones, I wonder how they hold up to the heat as well? 

I haven't heard of HDPE warping in normal use, even in hot climates.
    https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/hdpe_cutting_boards/346
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    @Ratkity  Snort......dag blam it, you just made me inhale some crumbs! I am a slow learner.......next time I see you postin' sumthin', I'm gonna put the coffee, adult beverage, or cupcake DOWN and swallow first (looks around nervously, blinking with innocence, while sliding the hand to hide the cupcake) I did not snitch it!
    Averting a hihack,  HDPE has a high heat distortion temp and would not expect it to warp in a T@B environment. (Do not put in oven however)
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    Buy a new T@B, get a new cutting board! Give the old one away when you sell the old T@B.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    @Runtarooti, you and @ericnliz now have a badge and belong to the official T@B University "Monitor Spray" club. 

P.S. You missed some icing on the coffee cup handle!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Marceline said:
    Ratkity said:

I haven't heard of HDPE warping in normal use, even in hot climates.
    https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/hdpe_cutting_boards/346
    That's cool to know! It's something I was wondering about the cutting boards. Good to know my coffee cup won't melt it (not that I use it as a trivet - just caffeine deprived).
  • Options
    So I went to TAP yesterday and had a cutting board made...
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    Marceline, can you share your order so we can replicate it?  Thanks!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SAM said:
    Marceline, can you share your order so we can replicate it?  Thanks!
    I think that if NuCamp switches from wood to HDPE they will probably make something nicer (more like the wood board), but for now here's what I did:
    3/8" thick HDPE
    10 7/8" x 14 7/8"
    1" rounded corners 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi