Options

Alde fault message: fan failure

New problem on the road.... I'm getting an Alde fault message fan failure. The manual says faulty fan speed. In order to reset, disconnect 12-volt from the boiler and reconnect. reset after 5 minutes. My question is can I just disconnect the fuse at the fuse box or do I need to go into the Alde and pull a wire?
2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    It sounds like you have the digital control panel - you can reset right from the panel. IIRC Reset is at yhe top level of the Tools menu. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Where is there a "fan" to fail in the Alde? What does it do?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    ScottG said:
    Where is there a "fan" to fail in the Alde? What does it do?
    Good question
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @ScottG, good question. I would only "assume" some sort of cooling fan. Not too sure what for though.
    @dsatwork, Are you on shore power, or battery?
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    This from another RV forum and via Alde:

Hello there. This is a relatively common mistake. The pump symbol (circle of arrows) does not animate. There are no animated graphics on any of the Alde control panels. Since you describe your heating as working, you shouldn't need your dealer to inspect.

"Fan Failure" is a very specific error message, displayed on the Standby Screen. It indicates the combustion fan has not reached sufficient speed (rpm) or possibly isn't moving at all. In a brand new installation, this is most likely stiffness. After a few attempts it should loosen off (indeed in the latest control panels the error message "Fan Restarts.. ." is displayed).

In an older installation, it could be the fan motor is failing, or a poor connection; the fan is connected to the boiler PCB by a short cable.

If needing repair/maintenance on your Alde system whilst on your travels, we recommend using the Alde Service App. It uses the GPS in your smartphone to locate your nearest Alde-certified service agent.

http://www.alde.co.uk/media.php

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    It sounds like you have the digital control panel - you can reset right from the panel. IIRC Reset is at yhe top level of the Tools menu. 
    Thanks but the manual is not stating that as the fix. The Alde manual says that this is a warning, which indicates a hazard that could cause injury or property damage. I think I'll stick with their fix on this one. I just need to know if anybody can tell me the best way to disconnect the 12 volt?
  • Options
    @ScottG, Look at page 24 in the Alde manual wiring diagram, and you'll see the fan listed.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited May 2017
    I do see a "squirrel-cage" fan in the wiring schematic on page 24 of the US/CAN manual. In appears to run off a regulated 9V DC power supply linked to the Alde's control board.

It's not immediately clear exactly what it does, but I'd bet more than a few nickels it's a power-venter for the propane burner.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There is a cable with your 12V on it that plugs into the control board under the black cover. I would remove the two glass fuses, then unplug the 12V cable and wait the amount of time the manual specifies. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    edited May 2017
    @dsatwork - I had the exact same error.  Disconnect by pulling the small fuse on the Alde itself or by shutting off the breaker that supplies power to the Alde.  When it happened to me I just pulled the small fuse out and put it back in.  The Alde reset and it hasn't done it since.

@photomom - resetting through the panel only resets the panel configurations back to factory default.  It does not 'reset' the boiler operation like pulling the fuse or turning the breaker off.

Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    @dsatwork, Turn the "power" switch to the Alde to off. You can (if you're using 12V power) turn your battery cut-off switch to the "off" position. This should cut all 12V power to everything in your trailer off. If you're on shore power, again, turn the Alde off, un-plug the plug to the Alde (under the driver's side seat), open the fuse panel box, pull the fuse for the Alde, and let it sit for 5 minutes in either case. Plug everything back in, turn everything back on, THEN turn the power to the Alde back on LAST! See if it re-sets for you. If not, then go to the tool menu, scroll through to the re-set/maintenence screen, hit the re-set, then go back to the menu, and see if it gives you a re-set message. I hope this helps you out. Let us know, thanks.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    When you find out what works for the "reset" make a note in your Alde manual since disconnecting the 12V power seems to be the "fix" for almost all of the fault codes. I'm going to!!! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    I found the 12v connection pretty quickly after opening the Alde compartment. Pulled it there and waited the appropriate time, then plugged it back in and no more warning. Although it sounds like the way it is written, that all you need to do is disconnect 12v wire, plug it back in and it will reset after 5 minutes. Glad I bring my manuals with me.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone who offered help on this
  • Options
    @dsatwork, Thanks for sharing the fix!!! Good to know for the future. Really glad you got it resolved. :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    I am now having this same problem.  I opened the unit up to reseat the connectors.  Disappointed to see a circut board on top of the fan.  After many resets the best I get is about two seconds of the fan running slowly and then it stops and the error message comes up.  The circulation pump keeps running.
    When the fan tries to restart, in about five minutes, the circulation pump slows for half a second or so, but the fan never starts.  Tomorrow I will pull the fan out I quess.  Seems to be a common failure on the Euro caravan sites.
    If I can't get a new fan from Tom's or the Airstream dealer, it looks like Tabazona might be a bit chilly this year.  Maybe someone else who has had this problem might give me some more insight.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    I called Tom's Camperland in Mesa this morning and I was told that they would call be back today.  About an hour later a guy from Alde called me from his cell phone!  Pretty good service from both parties I would say!
    The Alde guy told me a couple of things to try, but said that I would probably need a new fan.  Now if I can just get one from them before T@bazonna.  I actually have a friend that lives a couple miles from the Vancouver, Wa. location, but there might be to many hoops to jump through for that to happen.
  • Options
    FYI  One suggestion was to blow compressed air into the exhaust port to spin the squirel cage fan to maybe free it up.  On the fourth attempt at this the Alde fired up and ran on propane.  It also did several automatic restarts with no problems or error messages.
    Thanks again to Tom's for calling Alde, and to the Alde rep who called me twice and had good mechanical knowledge of his product.
    Looks like T@Bazonna might be warm afterall!!!
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @Ron, was Spencer the Alde rep?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I think so.  He said his name quickly.