Options

Hitching up?

13»

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Marceline said:
    jkjenn said:
    I am taling another stab at those rods while on vacation, next week. My 1st Grand Cherokee had a better camera for high contrast scenes than my Trailhawk has and I really struggle in bright sun with harsh shadows. Instead of the rods with tennis balls, I am trying the Hitching Rods brand.
    Are you struggling with side-to-side alignment or distance from the ball to the hitch?
    For alignment, I know the centerpoint of my TV back window (backup light) and the centerpoint of the trailer (the "@" in T@B but you could put a cute little sticker or something) and I just align them as I'm backing up.
    Aligning the ball under the hitch. If on a hard surface, not a big deal as I can generally maneuver the T@b into place. Gravel or soft surfaces are different.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    The backup camera on my 4Runner is not on the centerline of TV and thus not directly over the hitch.  Makes left / right just a little more challenging for that last foot.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    Dcarlton said:
    I hitch up solo all the time without a camera. My pickup (an F150) is exactly  Then I open my door and look down at the ground. I back up looking at the ground and go about five feet.
    That's what I'd do too, except I discovered that my 2019 Jeep GC has the added "feature" of automatically putting the transmission in park if you try to go anywhere with the door open..... maddening how they try to save you from yourself from leaving your car in gear and walking off. Click and sit on the seat belt to get around this.
    Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    edited September 2019
    I just use mirrors, pretty easy to eyeball center. When I get pretty close distance wise I place a chock about where I need to stop and continue backing up (place a little short to start with), fine tune the chock as you get close. In 2-3 get out and look attempts I can hitch up un assisted, quick, easy and low tech for the win.

Edit to add I often just place a chock behind driver side tow vehicle tire when unhitching, that way can back up aligning left right until you make contact with chock, pretty much can do this first shot and then drop trailer on hitch.

My method assumes you have mastered use of sideview mirrors which is a valuable skill with and without a trailer, learn to use and trust what you see in both sideview mirrors and so many things with towing the trailer, especially backing are easier.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2019
    Impressed, @N7SHG_Ham. I completely have become slave to my backup camera. I generally forego attaching the tongue wheel, so have to be pretty precise with the positioning, and still need to get out to look at least once.
    @dCliffhanger, automatic Park? What a PITA! I'll often back up with my door open, just for that 'measuring' reason! Might have to modify the wiring in the seat to bypass the belt sensor! Jeesh.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    With my power mover I drive my T@B to the hitch with 1 or 2 fingers :)

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    I just use mirrors, pretty easy to eyeball center. When I get pretty close distance wise I place a chock about where I need to stop and continue backing up (place a little short to start with), fine tune the chock as you get close. In 2-3 get out and look attempts I can hitch up un assisted, quick, easy and low tech for the win.

Edit to add I often just place a chock behind driver side tow vehicle tire when unhitching, that way can back up aligning left right until you make contact with chock, pretty much can do this first shot and then drop trailer on hitch.

My method assumes you have mastered use of sideview mirrors which is a valuable skill with and without a trailer, learn to use and trust what you see in both sideview mirrors and so many things with towing the trailer, especially backing are easier.
    I just do like this member.  I simply center the TD between my TV body line and the TD with both side mirrors, and then slowly bump into the trailer coupler (by hear) with my TV hitch.  En then finalize the half inch that remains.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    I painted a spot on the hitch with bright orange paint and it helps a lot.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    mrlynch1953mrlynch1953 Member Posts: 40
    Mine is spot on alone with the backup camera. I tried the two yellow balls on magnetic sticks just for some extra help (before I got really good at lining up) and I couldn’t find a flat place for the magnet! 
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I think I have mentioned this before, but a fairly painless and easy way to hitch solo is carry a block of wood and use that as a stop for one of your TV rear wheels. I will often just place behind rear wheel at time of unhitching. If it doesn't get moved, just back up to block while aligning left/right in your mirrors, when you touch block get out and lower onto your ball.

If the block gets moved, back up close, measure distance to hitch, place the block same distance behind rear wheel and back up to block.

Low tech, low cost and it works with one or two looks after you have some practice.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite