Options

Hitching up?

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    SueBC said:
    Wondering if anyone uses  RVS-83112 Wireless Hitch Camera. I don't yet have one, but am thinking on purchasing for when I am hitching up (flying solo). It is totally wireless, and attaches on stuff with a powerful magnet. For hitching up, and backing up into a campsite, could be a nice little 'assist'.
    The T@B is aluminum. The Outback Rack (yakima) is coated steel and it will attach to that. Even putting a small steel plate attached with zip ties would work well. That said, aluminum interferes with the wireless (bluetooth) connection, so if you have an all-aluminum TV like my F150 and your camper is aluminum (the T@B body is), there's a chance it'll cut out just as you try to miss that tree for fence post you were trying to avoid. I say this because it did exactly that. I was thinking of getting a post I could tap into the ground with a small steel plate that could take a wide angle view of the campsite (or my horrid driveway). It's on my To-Do list!! I'm not giving up on that camera.

Just my experience!!!! Yours may vary. Other people may chime in and say it's the next thing since sliced bread. You can always return it, right?
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    It took me a while to get the hang of it, too. My first TV was pretty close to exactly the same width as the T@b, so it made it easy to get square. I then used the bump it rods and they work pretty well. The back up camera helps, but in harsh light or heavy shadow, it can be difficult  @Verna put some reflective tape on her coupler and I tried that but it would not stick. I think my tape was too stiff. I picked 7p a swift hitch and I put it on the coupler because it is bright yellow. My backup cam picks that yellow up, easily, so maybe a bright yellow magnet would work, as easily.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Our van backup camera is not directly in the middle (more on drivers side due to the hatch latch) so it is not as easy to line things up.  I think we may need to try the bright yellow magnet trick.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    TDR920TDR920 Member Posts: 4
    I think the Bump-It's I picked up were $4.00 on sale so if they work, I'm set, but if not, it's nice to know there are a lot of options.
  • Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    Take it slow & easy. Stop and get out of the car to see how you’re doing. One of the nice things about the T@B is that the tongue can easily be pulled from side to side. So if you’re a little off, just pull or push the tongue to center on the ball. 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    GibW said:
    Take it slow & easy. Stop and get out of the car to see how you’re doing. One of the nice things about the T@B is that the tongue can easily be pulled from side to side. So if you’re a little off, just pull or push the tongue to center on the ball. 
    As long as you're using the jockey wheel, true.  I don't use the JW and have a foot mounted on mine so that I can crank the jack up tighter to the frame area.  I also carry along a chunk of 4x4 treated wood to place under the foot that helps eliminate some of the manual hand crank work.  

I also really like and appreciate  the luxury of the camera on the tailgate of my Silverado and make it a point to keep the lens clean as it does collect dirt, moisture and particles (dirt tends to distort the view) and ensuring that it's clean makes hooking up the trailer easy-peazy.  It certainly eliminates the in and out checking of alignment and over time one can become pretty adept at this task and comfortable via the repetition.  

But agree, take it slow, do what works best for you and makes you feel comfortable and confident and make sure the hitch is properly seated and (for newer style T@B units) that the locking mechanism and prongs at the bottom portion of this mechanism are properly seated into the small square opening and that this mechanism is either pinned or locked in place.  I make it a point to check ball/hitch alignment and final positioning visually and physically and I know that some people run the jack down and raise the rearend up to ensure things are hitched properly.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    It has been mentioned before about using a rock or kick mark to guide you, what I do for all trailers I tow is carry a short piece of a 4x4 wood block, when you think you are close, stop and look and if you want to get real fancy, measure the distance to go with a tape and then place the block of wood that same distance behind the TV left wheel, back up until you make contact and the ball should be under the hitch assuming you are centered side to side. The leave the block there when you unhitch and as long as it doesn't get moved, hooking up again is simple.

As far as wheel vs plate on the hitch jack, I remove that on any trailer I tow (not exclusive to NuCamp products) and place in trailer, gives a lot more ground clearance when going through dips.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    @Michigan_Mike... I also use a jack foot. Our tongue weighs in at about 200 lbs and is still very easy to move from side to side with a little persuasion. I also put a block under the jack foot and will slide from block to block if needed. 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    GibW said:
    @Michigan_Mike... I also use a jack foot. Our tongue weighs in at about 200 lbs and is still very easy to move from side to side with a little persuasion. I also put a block under the jack foot and will slide from block to block if needed. 
    My 400 weighs in at over 350# tongue weight so the play isn't there.  You're either pretty much right on or you jockey for position and let the truck do the work.  
  • Options
    cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    Hey Mike:
    We just bought a 2018 Colorado in June.  During my initial visit with the sales guy I was asking questions about towing and during the exchange he showed me how to partially drop the tailgate so that the camera looks more downward toward the hitch area.  This may also work on your Silverado tailgate:  just open the tailgate a few inches and loop the supporting cables over the round locking posts on the side of the tailgate opening and then let go - should keep the gate open at about a 30-45 degree angle and also keep it high enough so you don't bump anything with the edge of the gate while hooking up.  The field of view is large enough to allow last few feet to make adjustments for perfect alignment.
    I tried it and it works well and can often place the ball right under the coupler.

This may work on other manufacturer's vehicles??
    John & Cheryl
    2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • Options
    cmac said:
    Hey Mike:
    We just bought a 2018 Colorado in June.  During my initial visit with the sales guy I was asking questions about towing and during the exchange he showed me how to partially drop the tailgate so that the camera looks more downward toward the hitch area.  This may also work on your Silverado tailgate:  just open the tailgate a few inches and loop the supporting cables over the round locking posts on the side of the tailgate opening and then let go - should keep the gate open at about a 30-45 degree angle and also keep it high enough so you don't bump anything with the edge of the gate while hooking up.  The field of view is large enough to allow last few feet to make adjustments for perfect alignment.
    I tried it and it works well and can often place the ball right under the coupler.

This may work on other manufacturer's vehicles??
    I like that!  I will check it out the next time we hook up which will be soon!  Thanks for the great tip!  
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Just don't bash your tailgate into the jack!
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Just don't bash your tailgate into the jack!
    I learned my lesson the hard way 2 years ago out in Havasu SP.  I was dumping the trailer after we left Craggy Wash BLM, was working in the bed of the truck, had finished putting the hose away when another RV'er pulled up behind me.  In my haste to move, forgot to put the tailgate up and crunched the top lip, damaging the plastic cover, costing me $100 to replace it.  Nothing like spoiling your whole day!  :angry:
  • Options
    cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    If ya do as I described, the tail gate will not be down far enough to contact anything, only give ya a better viewing angle of the ball and coupler.
    John & Cheryl
    2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • Options
    SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    edited September 2018
    I can report that I have now used the Hitch Camera I bought - RVS-83112 Wireless Hitch Camera - a few times, and I love it! I do use it only for hitching up, and still take it slow, and when according to the camera I'm really close, I do pop out of my Jeep just to take a quick look. Every time I have been dead on side to side, and just nudge the jeep back another inch or two. Never had to pull away and try again, its always first time round success. For me, - single camper - works like a charm.
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    DcarltonDcarlton Member Posts: 19
    I hitch up solo all the time without a camera. My pickup (an F150) is exactly as wide as the trailer so going straight back is easy, but I’ve come in at an angle too. I get lined up and start backing up. When I start getting close I get out and look. I make a mental note of how far left to go, say five feet.  I just eyeball it. Then I open my door and look down at the ground. I back up looking at the ground and go about five feet. I get out again, now it’s six inches. I look down at the ground and go six inches. This time when I get out, I put it in park and set the brake. Now one inch.  It takes me three or four times hopping out and takes just a few minutes.
  • Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    my truck has a back up camera with side lines and the hitch clearly visible i put a piece of silver duct tape on the hitch ball area of the camper's hitch so i can see when i am lined up easier-truck tends to roll just a little so i put on emergency brake before turning off-voila!-if not perfect i can move the trailer a little with the handles or grabing the hitch
  • Options
    OlenaOlena Member Posts: 103
    I use "Hitchin Rods" and they work every time. They are kind of expensive since they tend to get crunched under the wheels when they fall down!
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock Solo
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    Good idea @Marceline! Nice new tub too.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    dsfdogs said:
    Good idea @Marceline! Nice new tub too.
    Thanks! I was so happy to finally get rid of that broken tub. It's a miracle that it didn't fly to bits while I was driving down the freeway.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Marceline said:
    Speaking of hitching up, here's my latest modification. I painted the coupler lime green to make it easier to see.

Good idea. I could never get reflective  tape to stay, like @Verna but I have been sticking my bright yellow magnetic camera back there as a marker. The coupler gets list in the backup camera's shadows.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @jkjenn, the reflective tape is not staying on as well on my 400’s coupler as it solid on the T@B S Max, but it’s still on there. @Marceline, I may have to try that color after I find some warmer weather. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    I have a bright yellow piece if cloth I lay on the hitch to help me see it with my back up camera from my TV-the black hitch is almost invisible to these old eyes
  • Options
    I am so glad this came up, again. I need to get on this.

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    . . . bright yellow piece if cloth I lay on the hitch to help me see it with my back up camera from my TV-the black hitch is almost invisible to these old eyes
    Great idea! :o
    I've added white paint to my coupler but does not really help - - -

I've also got glasses So it is not my eyes it is the backup camera! =)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    I cut a small wedge out of a yellow tennis ball and slide it it on hitching ball. Super easy to see and I slide it off when I am lined up.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    I am taling another stab at those rods while on vacation, next week. My 1st Grand Cherokee had a better camera for high contrast scenes than my Trailhawk has and I really struggle in bright sun with harsh shadows. Instead of the rods with tennis balls, I am trying the Hitching Rods brand.

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    I am taling another stab at those rods while on vacation, next week. My 1st Grand Cherokee had a better camera for high contrast scenes than my Trailhawk has and I really struggle in bright sun with harsh shadows. Instead of the rods with tennis balls, I am trying the Hitching Rods brand.
    Are you struggling with side-to-side alignment or distance from the ball to the hitch?
    For alignment, I know the centerpoint of my TV back window (backup light) and the centerpoint of the trailer (the "@" in T@B but you could put a cute little sticker or something) and I just align them as I'm backing up.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi