Options

Reconnecting Propane/CO2 detector

The previous owner cut the wires from the converter panel to the Atwood propane/CO2 detector. I don't know why and it's not worth speculating about. 
I'd like to reconnect it. There are 2 reds and 1 black. Does it matter which red is connected to which red? 
The uncapped wires on the left are from the detector and the capped wires on the right are from the converter. 

San Francisco Bay Area
2013 CS-S us@gi
Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I THINK this is the correct manual. There are instructions for hooking it up. You might verify this is the same one you have. http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/gasalarms/LPCO MPD 31298 11.07.pdf

As for why, two words: dog flatulence. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    That is too funny - I will tell you that any dog that stinks up that small space enough to trigger the LP detector would be on a short list to be spending the night outside!  How about feeding them Beano - do they have a dog version?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Marceline, From your photo, it looks as though the two reds on the right come from a single red from the converter. If that's the case, no, it doesn't matter which red connects to which red.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Yeah if you google some combination of the words "dog flatulence RV alarm" you will get tons of hits. For one approach, go to http://www.everything-about-rving.com/the-propane-alarm-in-our-rv-keeps-going-off.html and scroll down to the solution posted by RVer JustPractical. 
  • Options
    I think the issue is dogs tend to sleep on the floor next to the detector. 
  • Options
    Yeah, our poor pup hates smoke alarms, absolutely freaks him out, and he set it off one night... 
    The only way to stop the darn thing was to lift the bed and disconnect the wires, all with grog in my brain.
    I don't remember the part about whether it was in a truck-stop/rest-area, so I couldn't run out in my skivvies (PXL style) and put the poor dog in the truck while I dealt with it.
    There ought to be a switch, darn it!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    :rofl: 'Ya ever think of tryin' Beano?  =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ChanW said:
    Yeah, our poor pup hates smoke alarms, absolutely freaks him out, and he set it off one night... 
    The only way to stop the darn thing was to lift the bed and disconnect the wires, all with grog in my brain.
    I don't remember the part about whether it was in a truck-stop/rest-area, so I couldn't run out in my skivvies (PXL style) and put the poor dog in the truck while I dealt with it.
    :rofl:

When I had my LG reverse tear, my female golden retriever was her own gas factory. No matter what the temp, that vent was open and a window cracked. Good thing there wasn't any commercial propane around, so I didn't have a detector. That would have left the camper on the first night. She only did it while camping! I think she would save up for camping weekends.

She was a great heater though. Milkbone and kibble powered, auto sensing and would move if it got too hot, easy on the eyes, never failed to produce heat, but no "off" button and some exhaust fumes. Never could solve the last thing.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Ratkity, Ever try a big CORK? Need a sign with that one..."Do NOT REMOVE..COMBUSTIBLE!"  :o=)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @ericnliz, that could put out someone's eye! Worse than a Red Ryder!! Geesh. :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    Photomom said:
    I THINK this is the correct manual. There are instructions for hooking it up. You might verify this is the same one you have. http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/gasalarms/LPCO MPD 31298 11.07.pdf

As for why, two words: dog flatulence. 

Thanks for posting the manual. It looks like it doesn't matter which red is connected to which red.

AFAIK the previous owner didn't have a dog.  :o
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    It would be a simple matter to cut the black ground wire and connect it to a rocker switch mounted on the bench.  Of course, you would have to make very, VERY sure the detector is on if the propane is on. 
  • Options
    And then train the dog to hit the rocker switch when he sets off the alarm!
    Photomom said:
    ChanW said:
    It would be a simple matter to cut the black ground wire and connect it to a rocker switch mounted on the bench.  Of course, you would have to make very, VERY sure the detector is on if the propane is on. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya