Options

Battery issue?

I know this has been duscussed ad infinitum but can't find what I'm looking for. My battery discharges to 12.2 volts in a month with battery disconnect switch in the off position (not connected). Normal? Not normal? Stamdard issue dealer battery. Can someone aim me at that thread?
Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150

Comments

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Thank you! I'll check those out
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I know lead acid batteries need a maintenance charge once a month, but I don't think it goes to 50% that fast. Check your cells for water. Add distilled only. The advantage of AGM batteries is that they lose little charge in a storage situation (cut off switch).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    edited July 2017
    Batteries will lose their charge when they sit, even with no load. How much seems to be influenced by the age and health of the battery. A couple of overly deep discharges can greatly hasten their decline.

In my experience, new batteries do not lose their charge quite as quickly as you describe; failing batteries, however, can lose it much more rapidly. I'd guess yours is still serviceable, though not in peak condition.

Like Ratkity said, start with checking the water. If you have a charger with a "reconditioning" function you could give that a try as well.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I'll check the water level tonight. Thus far, it hasn't suffered a deep discharge as we've pretty much camped with electrical hookups every time we go out. I think the maintenance charge is probably part of the issue, and I need to get a battery tender to do that effectively. It's only a year old and, to my knowledge, has never been allowed to drop below 12.2. I kind of hope it's bad so I'll have a better excuse (oops! EXPLANATION) for switching to an AGM battery. :)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Ratkity said:
    I know lead acid batteries need a maintenance charge once a month, but I don't think it goes to 50% that fast. Check your cells for water. Add distilled only. The advantage of AGM batteries is that they lose little charge in a storage situation (cut off switch).
    Agree....  And when the wet cell batteries are left unattended and on a charger/tender it's important to check the water level as it does heat up and will evaporate over time.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    My first battery in my T@B showed similar behavior after first year - and it was because the WFCO 8735 typically topped out at 13.6V which only was able to charge battery to 70% state of charge (via measuring specific gravity of cells). Continually only charging to 70% will lead to premature battery death. I bought a NoCo Genius Charger to insure fully charging batteries on shore power and generator. I put it into Cold 12V mode, and top off with a few repair cycles. This gets batteries to 100% state of charge (specific gravity measurements).
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    That could be the issue. Water levels are great. No phantom draws with Battery Switch off. @aldebaranmodel did you choose? A quick look showed quite a selection and price ranges.