Options

What's Buggin' You--DIY Screen Room and Other Pest Defenses

2»

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I guess I did receive an answer from the warranty department at nüCamp yesterday and didn't see it:

"Thank you Verna, I have forwarded this to our R&D department, hopefully they can come up with a solution to fix this issue." 

There's no timetable given, so remember that "patience is a virtue" ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    @Verna, do you know why they dropped the screening in the side vents?
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    Roamey said:
    @Verna, do you know why they dropped the screening in the side vents?
    No. I guess that goes on my list. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Email sent to nüCamp concerning lack of screening material in the Norcold vents. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    Thanks for followup, Verna. For my part I'm not seeking or expecting a remedy from PV, though perhaps reviewing the window screens is something they should consider going forward. That said, there doesn't seem to be a chorus of complaints about the current set-up...

I notice the new LG Max (which resembles a T@B 400 on steroids) uses the exact same screen/shade units.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @Roamey: Here is nüCamp's answer about the new T@B 320 models with the new two vent system for the Norcold:

"The information I have been given regarding this is, the compartment where the vents are installed is a completely sealed compartment, so any bugs that do get into the vents will not get into the camper."

I will add that the photos so have seen in the factory do show the black plastic vents do indeed seem to be entirely enclosed, rather than being open as the 2014-2017 models. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    I wondered if the new Norcolds incorporated some ductwork or something. That is definitely not the case with the older units--the vent just opens up into the cavity that the Norcold sits in, at that has plenty of places for bugs to escape into the cabin.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks, @Verna. I'm also concerned about insects entering and nesting just in the vent areas. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    @Roamey, with nüCamp's answer, I guess to put your mind at ease, you'll need to install your own screening. Be careful pulling the vent off the side of your T@B, gently scrape the caulking from the T@B using a plastic putty knife. The screening in my vent has the screening taped with the shiny heat tape to the inside of the vent. It's still in place after over two years. When replacing the vent cover, use lots of silicone on the screw holes and the edges of the vent. This should take care of your concerns and keep out any insects. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @Verna, the new vent covers are much improved and easy to remove and reinstall. Built into the bottom inside cover are fingers that hold it in the opening and at the top are two push in latches that can be rotated by finger to unlock and lock. Twist the two latches and tip the cover out, put it back by hooking the bottom in and then push the top in and twist the latches 90° to lock in place. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    @Roamey, that's a piece of cake! I was thinking last night about how much trouble it would be to remove mine to clean the screen after two winters in AZ!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    Verna said:
    @Roamey, with nüCamp's answer, I guess to put your mind at ease, you'll need to install your own screening. Be careful pulling the vent off the side of your T@B, gently scrape the caulking from the T@B using a plastic putty knife. The screening in my vent has the screening taped with the shiny heat tape to the inside of the vent. It's still in place after over two years. When replacing the vent cover, use lots of silicone on the screw holes and the edges of the vent. This should take care of your concerns and keep out any insects. 
    Hi @Verna
    I need to remove my vent and then put it back on. Do you have any particular type of caulk that you recommend?
    Thanks.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    @Marceline, I use Dap clear silicone for wet locations. I 'm sure others will chime in with their favorites. This is what I have used for every hole I have made on the exterior of my T@B over the past 2 1/4 years. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN