Options

2015 T@B Outback Edition

mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
I found a reference to the Outback Edition on the smalltrailerenthisiast.com http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/2014/10/20/little-guy-introduces-off-road-tb/

It looks very interesting. This listed features are:
  • 5 Piece ABS Off-road Assembly Package
  • Roof Rack with Cargo Basket and Off-road Spare
  • Pitched Axle, Off-road Tires & Rims
  • Custom Diamond Plate Tongue Box
  • Aluminum Front Utility Platform
  • Cargo Netting Above Window
  • Uber Tough Marmoleum Flooring
  • Radiused Diamond Plate LP/Battery Box
  • Solid Gray Cushions
The article mentioned that the Outback Edition could be added to all models with the exception of the CS model. Other references from other posts indicate that the factory is not ready to add this to units at this time, but I expect it won't be long. It would be interesting to know if the rear rack and the aluminum tongue box could be added to exiting units, however, I expect not, as I expect that there are modifications needed to the base trailer to support these add on items.
Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 

Comments

• Options
    BethHBethH Member Posts: 8

I am thinking of trading up to a T@B Outback and have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer:

What is the ground clearance?  The exterior height is 93", 4 inches higher than the standard T@B.  If the body dimensions are the same, then the ground clearance is 4 inches more than the standard.  But what is the overall clearance?

What is the 5 piece ABS off-road assembly package?  Is it a braking system?

And will the T@B tent work with the Outback given the additional ground clearance?  I would think the bottom seam next to the trailer would not be flush to the ground.  It might still work though.  Or maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have come out with a tent to go with the Outback.  I kinda doubt it though as this trailer is so new.

Thanks, Beth

2015 T@B Outback Q Max towed by Toyota Tacoma
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I think the ABS pieces are the plastic corner guards and the piece around the license plate area in the rear.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, Little Guy!  I buy my 2015 T@B S  in November and wanted nothing more......Then you bring out the Outback........I want it!
  • Options
    I would be happy with the pitched axel and larger tires.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    The five piece ABS package is additional plastic trim that is on each of the four corners, just below the grab handles and across the rear. The intent is to create a more rugged look. I too would have liked the option of greater ground clearance and larger tires, as I don't expect to ever park my T@B in a garage and am not concerned about the additional height. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    I might ask about the cost to upgrade. I am taking my T@b to the factory in early Feb, already. I think I would just put the tire on the tongue or my Jeep roof rack.

• Options

The Outback package is an additional $3600.  I put my order in today, with scheduled delivery for March!

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    BethH,  Are you planning on towing the Tab with the Element?  When we moved up to a Tab we traded the E for a Pilot.  Wow what a big difference.  Miss the E though.
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    No, unfortunately, I am trading in my beloved E for a Tacoma.  I need the greater towing capacity and more space as I am going cross country for a year or so.  I will miss my dependable little car.  Ten years, $100k miles and nothing but normal wear and tear.  I just hope the Tacoma doesn't let me down.
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    We ordered an Outback and tent in December. Confirmed with the factory that tent is the same as that for regular T@B. Outback version is listed on tent webpage. Trailer cover is a little different because of height and roof rack. We'll sent photos after it arrives in March.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Beth, I love my new Tacoma. Absolutely no strain going up the hills and small mountains I've been up and down. Much easier going down hills and mountains s, too. Lots more room than the 2012 Escape.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Yes, I'm looking forward to getting the Tacoma.  It's a beautiful truck.  Just need to decide which cab to get - access or double.  I'd like the 6 foot bed on the access cab but I'm not sure if the 80 lb. dog will be comfortable in the smaller back seat.  I guess I'll have to take her shopping with me!
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2015
    Beth, we have the Tacoma Access cab. First long trip was to pick up the Tab, with the 50 pound dog.

The back "seats" are more like jump seats, uncomfortable, and when folded up they leave an uneven area for cargo/dog.

I took out the center 'console' back there, and put down a fitted piece of plywood with a carpet covering. Seats are still usable, but it's flat when they're folded up.

Dog likes it a lot better.

There's good space for the dog back there on long trips, not much else though.

Also, sad for the dog: the windows in the back doors do not open on the Access Cab. I don't know about the full double cab's windows.

We love the truck though. (We have the 4 cylinder. It's ok, but would recommend the 6 cylinder).
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    BethH - I'll be doing what you're doing in about a year when I retire (heading out full time at least for a year to try it).
    Verna - what Tacoma did you get - double cab? I'm looking at the Tacoma and an F150. Was excited about the new F150 but someone on the FB site said a turbo isn't recommended for towing. Going today to see a used Tacoma and there's a used F150 I might go see (but it's located 65 miles from Tucson so wouldn't be able to do that until the weekend).
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Michele, I can meet you and show you my truck later in the week. I'm on the northwestern side of Phoenix today and tomorrow and will be going back to the south of Phoenix Wednesday. 

I got the extended cab, 4x4, V6, 5' bed. There has been absolutely no strain while towing the SS out here to AZ. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    She is a beauty!  Looks like the TRD Off Road?  ChanW, I had thought of putting in a storage bin to even it out with the seats up and laying a thick pad on top.  A piece of plywood would probably work better though.
  • Options
    Yes. Here's picture of her with the shell on the way to AZ last week.  She, and the SS, need to find a car wash today!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Verna - sweet! Unfortunately, I'm down in Tucson --- let me know if you're down here and I'd love to meet up with you. Did you get your topper in Phx? I'll be in the market for one (whatever I end up with).
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    I am going to be buying new tires this spring. Could I get bigger tires (assuming I got bigger rims) and use them on my existing T@b or would I run into issues with the fenders?

• Options
    TabuTabu Member Posts: 10
    We added the roof rack and wire basket that hold the spare tire to our 2015 T@B S Max we picked up in December. You can add the tongue box but it does add weight to the hitch I think Chris said it came out at 220 or 225 hitch weight.

Tabu - Rita & Phil and Doli who is a 2015 silver frost/blue S Max being towed by a 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6l
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Just echoing interest in Jenn's request... I remember noting the Tabbert T@Bs had/have 15in wheels.  With all many dirt roads we have in the West, the extra ground clearance would really help.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Scott says 15" tires should work Jenn, so I guess you should be good to go.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    That's great news! Thanks Mike!

• Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    While a 15 inch wheel may work on the t@b, after removing my 14 inch wheels to inspect lugs brakes bearings... It is indeed a tight fit, and the trim pieces seem very delicate and prone to breakage ...a 15 inch wheel would only give you 1/2 inch clearance and make tire changes more of a challenge in my opinion. Anyone using 15 wheels presently ?
  • Options
    Scott says 15" tires should work Jenn, so I guess you should be good to go.  

When I was at the factory yesterday, I saw and talked to Ed about the Outback. He does not think 15" tires would fit. The tires on the Outback are Genial Tires A/T Grabbers (27x8.50 R14 LT.) I don't know how you could squeeze an extra inch in there. The cost to do the axel upgrade at the factory would be somewhere around $500. The tires look very good.

I like the utility rack, and the diamond plate box seems (didn't measure or ask) slightly larger than the plastic ones. The model I saw did not have rear rack. The picture isn't that great (it was dark) but here is a peek in the new box.

• Options

Here are a couple of more not so great photos.

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I wonder if that bigger tongue box would hold a size 27 battery...?

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    I wonder if that bigger tongue box would hold a size 27 battery...?

I think if you position it going front to back versus side to side, you might have more room.

• Options
    I talked to the factory about this before we ordered ours and was told that the armor plate tongue box was basically the same size as the regular box.  We're wanting to install 2 - 6V batteries and our dealer was going to talk to the factory about centering the propane tank to allow us to place 1 battery each side.